Allure May 2018 : Sasha Lane by Scott Trindle

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by serendipity8777, Apr 13, 2018.

1. serendipity8777

serendipity8777 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    kevinkkelly1 on ebay

2. jal718

jal718 Active Member

Ok, I’m done with Allure

3. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

^ Seriously!! How is this magazine still around? Ever since Linda left it has been such a mess, this try hard indie feel does not suit it, at all! And my god its so thin, even the big months!

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal New Member

5. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

Conde Nast and Anna Wintour knows how to destroy a magazine first W with Tonchi and Edward, them Allure with Michelle and now AD with Amy.

Linda had a vision. Now it’s lost and it’s a joke. They have 100 pages in the big months and 60 it’s advertises and 40 with content. JOKE!

6. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

Why are they trying so hard to be “woke”?! It’s a beauty magazine!! Did the new editor not get the memo? Besides Teen Vogue has the “work” angle covered already and we all know how that turned out.

7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

This is the final nail in the coffin for me! Shut it down. The problem is that they're marketing only to one group, and I doubt whether said group are actually investing in print. Michelle Lee seems clearly in a rush for this magazine to go bust.

Never got this girl's appeal nor why she's always on magazine covers. Another case where the actual amount of films doesn't back up the hype.

8. SallyAlbright

SallyAlbright Well-Known Member

I work in film and barely know who this girl is. What is even the point of this magazine anymore? Put it out of its misery!

9. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

She's very beautiful but this is just wrong for this magazine. The Tattoos and braids juxtaposed against that Yellow top creates a very strange and unappealing combination. I absolutely loathe Michelle Lee and what she's done to this magazine. She has no business running a magazine. Just take a look at her body of work. https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelleleecreative I wish Conde Nast would cut this crap out and create a magazine just for Millennial's. There was absolutely zero need to change Allure and fire Linda Wells. The outcome of those decisions are beginning to show negative repercussions. It would be better to fold it now instead of allowing it to die a slow death. Ugh!

#9 GivenchyHomme, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Jill69: Apr 14, 2018
  10. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

For me the problem with Conde Nast is Anna Wintour. Everything she touch in CN turns into garbage: Allure, W, Vanity Fair, AD, Self, Details, and next Glamour.

Every magazine has her identity, that’s why hearst still being huge and not going for so much money problems like CN. Pleople that read Allure don’t necessary wants to read Vogue. But Anna wants to transform every single magazine into Vogue. She did this in the 80’s with GH and they fold out.

Allure had a vision and a public, they were the best but Anna was tired of Linda and make the changes.
    Someone needs to stop Anna before every magazine of CN folds out.

W, Brides and Allure will be the next.

And u don’t see any magazine of Hearst going fold out.

11. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

The internet has shown there's a huge interest in beauty - but modern beauty is about surgery and filters, smoke and mirrors, as much as it is about people having a voice.

So I can absolutely see a way for a beauty magazine to feed off that and thrive, but it would have to reflect ALL aspects of what people are engaged with on the internet, and then offer something extra that the internet doesn't - analysis that makes you think twice, and high gloss paper with pictures of faces you can't forget.

12. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

Exactly! Now more than ever, a magazine devoted to the beauty industry makes sense and here is Allure, all of a sudden, having an identity crisis.

13. ellastica

ellastica Well-Known Member

Apart from the distracting, overly yellow/olive appearance of Sasha's more reddish/neutral skin tone, this cover is somewhat compelling. I'm guessing it's just a poor quality photo and not post production, editing issue.

They could've used the word "future" at least 2 more times on the cover lines. It's strange to me this homogenization of language, intensified by social media usage, only people sharing this hive mind seem oblivious to it's effects.

GivenchyHomme , thanks for the link. Although I was pleasantly surprised by Michelle's veteran industry experience. Her rise to the top, from University of South Florida journalist student to EIC of allure over a 2 decade span, makes me admire her tenacity in the infamously cut-throat world of journalism, especially in the fashion industry. Her path to the top has been much more focused, less round about, serendipitous than the many fashion notables I've read about over the years. While I haven't been all that excited by the magazine's presentation nor relate at all to the magazine's millennial fixation, I think Michelle's out of the box, thematic approach has been interesting to watch and one that makes sense in the current volatile publishing environment.

I edited the cover so her skin looked less jaundiced, more true to life.
    [​IMG]
    kevinkkelly1 on ebay

14. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I'm having a quick flick through this on zinio before I go to bed, it seems to be 130 pages, I'm not sure what the focus of this issue is, the way they said they'd give each issue a theme - I think it's skin (again?)

There's a tiny interview with the people behind Manic Panic, there's some Halsey, a short look at the Smith sisters' bubble braid, someone at Allure gets fillers, women taking over as master perfumers, some promotional article about a Cover Girl competition to find an influencer, lasers that can now treat dark skin tones, the creation of make-up to suit different skin tones, Sasha's cover story, then Iskra, Lily Nova, Winnie Harlow, Hanne Gabby Odiele, Maye Musk, Condola Rashad, Pom Klementieff, Ryan Burke, Heather Huey, Morgan Saint, Melissa Jefferson, and Teddy Quinlivan in a fashion/beauty edit about bold people, some thoughts about interactive beauty technology ie talking mirrors, and there's an actual beauty editorial by Violette on models Mayowa Nicolas and Saffron Vadher.

For me, the cover is off-putting - Sasha looks so fed-up in that shot - but the contents are more like the old Allure.

15. serendipity8777

serendipity8777 Well-Known Member

16. ellastica

Thank you serendipity8777 for the editorial images via allure. The more I look I at this cover, the more I like it. The salmon, terracota tones aren't the run of the mill make-up/cover text color choices. Also this might be the first time in which the more recent cartooney, animated masthead actually suits the image. Shasha's dreads plays well off the uneven textured typeface.The edit is OK. Very teenVOGUE but less cohesive, doesn't flow.

I really wish that allure would post the images both with and without editorials credits as it appears in the print issue :judge: The sequencing of the editorial looks off, imbalanced. Not to mention how all too often these editorial credits get lost in the online image shuffle. These images are works of art and should be treated and credited as such.

I dig the skillfully applied tight-lined eyeliner. The base make-up looks a bit too polished. Would've been nice to see more of Sasha's freckles come through.

Complete cover/editorial credits
    Photographer: Scott Trindle
    Fashion stylist: Beth Fenton
    Hair: Nai’vasha Johnson
    Make-up: Jen Myles
    Manicure: Nettie Davis
    Set Design: Bryn Bowen
    Production: Hinoki Group
    Beth Fenton/IG

17. ellastica

Here's a link to Sasha's full editorial including the interview by allure Senior writer Brennan Kilbane.

Can interviewers please come up with some other vocabulary words aside from 'affable' and 'charismatic' to describe their subject? It's as if the vocabulary of today's journalist is shrinking with their sole function to parrot what's floating around online. I 'literally' can not be amymore 'specific' about the 'relative' decline in journalistic quality and originality.

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'd lie if I say her edit looks bad, it's rather nice. For autumn! Should've been someone else though. Her forced pout gets old real fast.