Allure November 2019 : Sharon Stone by Emma Summerton

Sharon Stone is a shining example of how cosmetic surgery can work for you in a sympathetic way, enhancing the beauty you already have.

She's also been a brand representative for Galderma, which offers facial fillers and anti-wrinkle treatments.

Allure's agenda regarding anti-ageing has (so far) been very anti-surgery, so I'm not sure how this fits in with that stance. Perhaps there's been a change of editorial direction that'll rest on semantics - that the needle and the laser isn't "surgery".

That cover shot isn't great... sitting on an old carpet.

Her HB cover is better, but this one is casual and cute.
She looks great, but that "end of anti-aging" tagline is ridiculous.
She's been worked on like everyone else in Hollywood. Allure needs to stop the nonsense, and embrace the lasers and fillers.:wink:

As beautiful as Sharon is, I think this is a terribly unflattering shot and seems incredibly off-brand for the magazine. A curious choice.

They're pushing "The End of Anti-Aging" yet have dedicated thousands of pages to the topic of anti-aging products and proceedures in the past and will, undoubtedly do so in the future. This is such a hallow attempt at being woke.

They're pushing "The End of Anti-Aging" yet have dedicated thousands of pages to the topic of anti-aging products and proceedures in the past and will, undoubtedly do so in the future. This is such a hallow attempt at being woke.

Is sunblock an anti-aging product? Are only people who completely disregard self care suppose to be on this cover? Sharon is a great example of someone who looks amazing for her age, that having “work done” can indeed work for you. Not everyone who goes under the knife, btw, wants to look like a 20 something. This idea that you are obsessed with youth because you want to look good at 50, 60, or 70 is incredibly ageist. There’s a big difference between Sharon or Jane Fonda and Madonna and it’s not the particular procedures they may or may not have gotten.

And anti-aging isn't just about the face you see in the mirror, it's about how best to maintain or improve the health of your body.

If a fortysomething can adopt a lifestyle that sees their metabolic markers return to the levels they were ten or twenty years ago... in a way, they are trying to recapture or return to their youth, but for the best of reasons. And getting fit or flexible again isn't something to be ashamed about.

But when it's your face, you're suddenly supposed to feel bad about your choices.

And anti-aging isn't just about the face you see in the mirror, it's about how best to maintain or improve the health of your body.

If a fortysomething can adopt a lifestyle that sees their metabolic markers return to the levels they were ten or twenty years ago... in a way, they are trying to recapture or return to their youth, but for the best of reasons. And getting fit or flexible again isn't something to be ashamed about.

But when it's your face, you're suddenly supposed to feel bad about your choices.

Thanks, Tigerrouge. As always, you add a great perspective. To me Sharon Stone is “aging gracefully” that shouldn’t have to mean someone completely let’s themselves go just because they’re “old”. Aging gracefully requires actually putting some effort in yourself and you make a great point about physical fitness and overall well being. Looks to me like Sharon has invested the time and effort in all these areas and is thriving. Good for her and a great inspiration to me.

Sadly, I wasn’t surprised when the minute Sharon showed up on the cover most folks screamEd “Bloody! Plastic Surgery!” Like that invalidates everything about her.

Why is she popping up on so many covers lately? Portuguese Vogue, Spanish Bazaar and now this. Couldn't someone give Michelle Pfeiffer a cover instead?

I do wonder why Michelle Pfeiffer didn't do more fashion press for Maleficent 2 - I see she was on a very recent cover of Vanity Fair Italia, looking as stunning as ever.

Hm, that makes me think of one of Naomi’s recent insta posts when she says she is resting with no make up... I was itching to say - no make up but lots of filter... same here - overuse photoshop, worry not about aging. Sharon is insanely gorgeous though but something about this cover just bothers me...

Is sunblock an anti-aging product? Are only people who completely disregard self care suppose to be on this cover? Sharon is a great example of someone who looks amazing for her age, that having “work done” can indeed work for you. Not everyone who goes under the knife, btw, wants to look like a 20 something. This idea that you are obsessed with youth because you want to look good at 50, 60, or 70 is incredibly ageist. There’s a big difference between Sharon or Jane Fonda and Madonna and it’s not the particular procedures they may or may not have gotten.

I didn't say a thing about any of the things you're ranting about, I commented on the hypocrisy of Allure as a publication, but go off I guess?

i was excited to see what they would do with her but the ridiculous photoshop and the hairstyle ruined it.

Anja Rubik called, she wants her head back.

Anja Rubik called again and is offended over this treacherous lie, lol! I can't unsee it now, though. The hair is just too much of a trademark at this point.
I hate this cover and I don't understand how anyone involved could look at this and approve for printing because I'd be embarrassed to have something as cheap and hideous in my portfolio.

Reactions: KoV
Sharon Sone at 61? I guess she’s decided to finally quit lying about her age.

Leave Shazza alone, MMA! :lol:

The cover had all the makings to be a success but the execution failed. Women obsess over that suit and Oxford type of styling right now, the carefree vibe is also very popular for many accessible magazines, as well as showcasing cover subjects who don't dominate magazine covers. Sadly none of that really applies to Allure nor Emma Summerton's aesthetic so this cover is indeed off-brand as King of Versailles suggests. I can look past all that, but not the ridiculous hairstyle which looks like a Trump-style combover (cover up) or the fact that they've mucked up her left eye.

Why is she popping up on so many covers lately? Portuguese Vogue, Spanish Bazaar and now this. Couldn't someone give Michelle Pfeiffer a cover instead?

Sharon is signed with a modeling agency which means she doesn't actually need a film to book a cover. Her name is enough to draw the crowds anyway. That said, they'll probably touch on her Netflix film, but she didn't get top billing for it so to leverage that alone for a cover would have been a bit of a tough sell. This shoot was likely booked via an agency just like the HB and Vogue ones.

Last edited:
This issue is 104 pgs, Nicole Kidman is promoting Neutrogena face creams (as if she's actually using them), there's an ad for AARP, an interview with Lauren Hutton, 1 pg beauty profiles with Awkwafina and Chaka Khan, features about beauty regrets and the menopause, plus a fashion/beauty editorial titled SILVER LININGS about the glory of grey hair...

… and an interview with Sharon Stone where she's as frank and direct as ever with her opinions.

There isn't much visual content this month, but a few of the features are well worth a read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew637
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->