altering designs - where to begin

chessmess

Reaction score
i just bought a pattern from fabricland, its a simplicity a-line retro dress
im starting ym portfolio work for application to ryerson, ocad, and hopefully FIT.
so of couse i cant just make a dress, i need to make it my own.

i was wondering, where do you guys come up with ideas for altering desings.
I realize i have so many options but i feel so immature in terms of design skills and know how
i dont know what prints to use or to use any... and i dont knwo how to add detailing.
i do know hwo to sew - basics of course. so i have a few questions:

if you are color blocking, i.e. using more htne on material for one peice of the dress constriction, how much allowance do you add tot he fabric for peiceing the materials together

also, if i wanted to hand draw details all over a white dress, what would be the best fabric, and pen to use?

if you are color blocking, i.e. using more htne on material for one peice of the dress constriction, how much allowance do you add tot he fabric for peiceing the materials together

Slice the pattern, then add whatever seam allowance is on the rest of the pattern, most likely 5/8". What ever you add, add it to both sides and remember your new seam allowance. Make one out of muslin first, just to test. Be careful where you cut, as cutting the side seam will change your armholes and cutting the center will change your bust point.

also, if i wanted to hand draw details all over a white dress, what would be the best fabric, and pen to use?

I've gotten away with black archival calligraphy ink, brushed on. It's outlasted permanent marker and oil paint through regular washing.

Thank you :smile:
do you think sakura microns would work for inking? they are so precise.

Write on a test strip and try to wash it out. Watch out for fabric though, some like to bleed out a lot, so I've noticed,. I don't know a damn thing about fabric, so you're on your own for this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->