Altyn Simpson

Valentino Haute Couture F/W 18.19 Paris

vogue

crfashionbook

NOW CASTING ALTYN SIMPSON
ONE OF FASHION'S YOUNGEST RISING STARS TALKS ABOUT HER ACTIVE LIFESTYLE AND HER DREAM RUNWAY SHOW

BY ALI WEBB
MAY 17, 2018

Most people mark their sweet 16 with cake, a party, or maybe a car. Altyn Simpson has a less common story, as her milestone birthday happened mid-fashion month during another milestone moment: walking in the Paris shows. The teen hit the ground running, gracing the runways at Chanel, Valentino, Loewe, and Alexander McQueen.

Despite this ultra-chic beginning, Simpson remains close to her rural roots. When she's not working, she still lives with her family, raising chickens in Davidson, N.C., a small town just north of Charlotte and the polar opposite from busy streets of New York City. "It's really slow paced and everyone knows everyone," the rising model tells CR. "It's so small."

This September, Simpson will get her first chance to walk in all the major fashion cities. In the meantime, she's balancing her budding career with online high school, outdoor sports, and time off at the beach. CR talked to the teen model to learn more about her small-town fairy tale.

How did you get into modeling?
I was never too interested in modeling. I always played sports growing up, and I was a die-hard swimmer. My friend moved to North Carolina, and she wanted to get into acting, so I went with her to an open call for moral support. We were going to hang out afterwards. And the owner of the agency walked into the waiting room, and he was like, “Oh my god, we love you. We want to sign you.” I ended up signing with my mother agent, Evolution, and then I came [to New York] and I met with different agencies. It was an amazing, whirlwind experience.

What are some highlights from your career so far?
This past fashion week was my first, and I only did Paris because I had just turned 16. I would say Chanel was the biggest highlight. It was so pretty.

What is your take on diversity in the modeling industry?
I think that we should always be working on and striving [for it] because there is always room for improvement. I always love meeting new people. Everyone’s so amazing. It’s crazy to be surrounded by talent from all different groups of people from different walks of life.

Do you have a go-to outfit?
I’m always wearing jeans. Tight jeans, skinny jeans, or loose jeans. I’m just always in denim and a T-shirt.

What are your hobbies?
I still swim in the pool in our backyard, and I run cross country, which I have always enjoyed. Really just any outdoor activity. My whole family—we love being outside all the time.

Where is your favorite place to run?
Downtown, where I live, there's a pond, and it’s about a third of a mile around, so I like to run there. It’s super pretty, and there’s a lot of shade, too, so it’s not burning hot all the time.

What is a song that you can’t get out of your head right now?
Anything by Billie Eilish. All of her songs are always in my head.

What is your favorite snack?
Apple pie Lara bars. I always have them with me.

What is one thing in your wardrobe you can’t live without?
My leather jacket. It’s actually in my bag; I just took it off because it’s kind of hot. But it's so perfect for everything.

Do you have any dream shows you’d love to walk in that you haven’t yet?
Calvin Klein, definitely. Raf Simons is amazing.

Do you have a style icon?
I don’t really, because I kind of like to pull my style from everywhere. One day I might be put together, and one day I might be more grunge.

Where is a dream place you’d like to travel?
Croatia. I think it's beautiful. And when I was 12 or 13, I found an Airbnb in an old lighthouse, so I really want to go there.

Reminds me of Estee Rammant mixed with Luna Bijl. Lovely girl!

Redemption:

Last edited:
Vogue Paris May/June 2020

Vogue Bien-Être supplement

Photographer: Alique
Stylist: Celia Azoulay
Hair: Panos Panadrianos
Makeup: Maud Laceppe
Cast: Altyn Simpson

Vogue Paris Digital Edition

Vogue España June 2020

Versión Natural