Angelica Cheung Leaves Vogue China *Update February 2021* Margaret Zhang Becomes EIC

Interesting clip, but my God, that host is such a campy delight. Big 80s hair, lost of gold, all-out glamour. She's actually such an anomaly, the type of woman you hardly ever see in fashion magazines because they believe glamour is extinct.

I never knew how approachable and seemingly down-to-earth, and just frank, Angelica is. While looking like a Rei-clone, she seems so self-aware and so pragmatic. I do like the (unintentional?) dig at Anna and Alexandra by leaving them out when she stated she aimed for VC to be on the same high standard as Franca’s and Carine’s Vogue. And that Vogue Me was for the me me me millienials. This woman is so aware of the times we’re living in-- no wonder she's leaving.

I never knew how approachable and seemingly down-to-earth, and just frank, Angelica is. While looking like a Rei-clone, she seems so self-aware and so pragmatic. I do like the (unintentional?) dig at Anna and Alexandra by leaving them out when she stated she aimed for VC to be on the same high standard as Franca’s and Carine’s Vogue. And that Vogue Me was for the me me me millienials. This woman is so aware of the times we’re living in-- no wonder she's leaving.

Not everything is a dig at Anna. Back when Vogue China launched, maybe even today, the big four Vogues could be split evenly into two camps: the commercial editions (US/UK) and the High Fashion editions (Paris/Italia). The irony is that, even though, Angelica may have aimed at the latter category, Her Vogue most definitely fit into the former.

Not everything is a dig at Anna. Back when Vogue China launched, maybe even today, the big four Vogues could be split evenly into two camps: the commercial editions (US/UK) and the High Fashion editions (Paris/Italia). The irony is that, even though, Angelica may have aimed at the latter category, Her Vogue most definitely fit into the former.

Especially with Vogue China's obsession with celebrities. Without the famous Chinese actresses who regularly appear in this magazine, VC would never have been this big and sought-after because celebrity culture in China is as big in fashion as it is in America. I see zero correlations between VC and VP/VI at all, not even in the basic sense. It's more an artsier version of US Vogue than anything.

I'm sure Anna having a hand in selecting the new EIC will go along swimmingly! I mean, her choice in EICs are famously stunning, right?

via The Guardian:

Cheung’s last day with the company, 8 December, will be 16 years to the day that she started at the magazine. Her successor has not been announced. The US Vogue editor-in-chief, Anna Wintour, will be involved in the handover.

In an internal statement, Li Li, the managing editor of the publisher Conde Nast in China, wrote: “[Wintour] will work closely with me and Denise Suen, our managing editor of Vogue, to ensure a smooth transition and maintain the exceptional level of content our audiences expect. I’m also excited that our team in China will have a chance to work with Anna.”

I LOOOOOOOOVED that video :woot::heart: thank you so much for sharing it.

Bryan Boy thinks that influencer Margaret Zhang will be the next EIC. He posted it on Twitter

Isn’t she an influencer? Hmmmmmmmm...... but nevertheless, I remain hopeful. I mean, look at Miss Leslie. She reimagined Vogue Taiwan and is actually doing a decent job.

I do hope that she becomes her own person and not one of Anna’s pawns.

Lol @ Bryanboy leaking these stuff. Someone broke confidentiality.

LOL. That will never happen, sorry. This edition is too important and would need someone with a lot more experience. Even if the job description would only entail editing the main magazine.

Why do I feel like this is just Bryanboy and his gang wanting to be relevant.

That's what I think as well. A way for people to start talking about Margaret Zhang again.
Pretty embarrassing if you ask me but then again she is an influencer so go figure.

China’s New Generation of Fashion Media Powerbrokers
by Casey Hall

A new editor-in-chief at Vogue China, expected to be announced any day now, is just the latest in a string of new editors appointed to China’s most important fashion titles in recent years.

They take the reins from a powerful cohort of long-standing editors: women like Su Mang, Shaway Yeh and Xiao Xue, who are credited with building China’s fashion media culture from the ground up over a period of several decades.

News of Angelica Cheung’s departure from Vogue China late last year after almost 16 years in the top job marked the end of that era. Her successor will not only inherit the highest-profile fashion media job in the world’s largest fashion market, but they will also do so at a time when the role of traditional media seems to have reached a tipping point in China.

“Angelica was the queen and I don’t think there will be another queen who has the same power. That doesn’t exist anymore,” said Lily Chou, who herself is the editor-in-chief of Shanghai-based independent fashion and art bi-annual Rouge Fashion Book and part of a dynamic young generation contributing niche points of view to China’s modern fashion publishing conversation.

Chou is one of many who see this as the end of a golden age of powerful fashion editors. Three years ago, the concentration of power the three editors had consolidated was viewed as a potential threat. Publishing companies had to consider whether the personal brands of chief editors outshined the titles they represented. Today, they are gone and many in China would struggle to name-check their successors.

“[Cheung and Elle China founding editor] Xiao Xue created something; they created it, the next generation are just inheriting it, so their job is to keep that well-oiled machine running and deal with the challenges that will come along the way,” Chou said.

This shift seems a natural part of the evolution of China’s fashion media, which rose with astronomical speed in its early years, only to correct course just as quickly to face up to the digital revolution that threatens its existence. Indeed, staying afloat is a tough enough job for any fashion magazine today.

Though China’s fashion magazine market has remained somewhat resilient when compared with its counterparts in other countries, it is subject to the same broader social and technological factors that have disrupted the traditional media industry elsewhere. In some ways, these changes have been even more dramatic in China, where digitisation has been so enthusiastically embraced.

Reflecting on the “drastic” disruptions to China’s media industry over the past decade, Tommy Tse, assistant professor in media and culture at The University of Hong Kong’s Department of Sociology, explained that there has been a discernible effect on brands. “The impact of not only digitisation but also platformisation, [means] we [are witnessing] key changes in Chinese fashion and luxury consumption practices,” he explained.

The entire fashion journey, in other words, from inspiration to consumer purchase, is now performed online in China, with advertising budgets for print campaigns shrinking as brands need to spend more and more money converting readers online via expensive marketing investments on Chinese social media platforms, such as WeChat and Xiaohongshu, as well as e-commerce platforms, such as Tmall.

So, who are the editors now charged with fending off competition from increasingly influential KOLs (key opinion leaders) and other digital-first content publishers, now seeing the industry through this period of disruption?

The Ultimate Insiders

An oft-told story claims that founding editor, Su Mang, and long-time fashion director, Sha Xiaoli, pulled together the first editorial team of Harper’s Bazaar China in under ten days.

The first issue of the magazine was released in November 2001, and from that time, up until Su’s departure from the title in 2018, Sha Xiaoli was a loyal lieutenant and the logical choice to succeed Su.

Following Su’s decision to leave the magazine, Sha stepped into the joint roles of editor-in-chief and general manager, where she has cut a noticeably lower-profile figure than Su, formerly a regular feature of television interviews and red carpet appearances, known for being outspoken and occasionally controversial.

Sha may be less outspoken than her predecessor, and she is quick to acknowledge the challenges digital competition presents legacy fashion media brands rooted in print. But she maintains that this also presents an opportunity.

“We can use this bigger [digital] platform to reach more readers and educate them from zero about trends in fashion, culture, art and design,” she told BoF, adding that the size of China’s market means there are still opportunities that remain untapped, with many consumers working their way into the middle class requiring the kind of mass-market fashion and luxury lifestyle education provided by major fashion titles.

“I believe we will always have a print version of Harper’s Bazaar. It has value as something you can own or keep, but the magazine of the future needs to be more inspiring than a useful shopping guide,” she said.

Like Sha, Xue Jian, who is also known by the English name Nicole Xue, was a long-time deputy before nabbing the top job at Elle China in 2019. Xue succeeded Xiao Xue, whom she had worked with since Xiao Xue first joined the publication in 2006 (Xue Jian joined the title a year earlier, in 2005).

The newly minted editor at Modern Weekly Style, Duscher Tang, also spent years working his way up the ranks of the Modern Media publishing group in the years Shaway Yeh, group style editorial director and editorial director for Modern Weekly, built the latter into a unique and acclaimed Chinese fashion and lifestyle publication with a progressive, edgy lens.

Tang left Modern Media for stints at local editions of T Magazine and WSJ Magazine before returning to Modern Weekly and taking over as chief editor in 2020.

The appointments of long-time fashion media insiders to top roles have established a path to the top of the masthead, one that makes Condé Nast China’s search for a new editor (one that has reportedly focused outside the beltway of Chinese fashion publishing, and even perhaps outside Mainland China itself) so interesting, if conjecture regarding candidates for the job, such as Australian-born influencer Margaret Zhang and Malaysian national Wish Teoh (a former employee of both Vogue China and Numero China), is to be believed.

New Era, New Skill Set

China’s original generation of powerhouse fashion editors didn’t work their way up the ladder to their top jobs — largely because there was no ladder to speak of when they were starting out in fashion magazine publishing. Angelica Cheung, for example, initially embarked on a business career as an investment banker at Goldman Sachs before pivoting to publishing.

What these editors did share was an intimate understanding of Mainland China and its potential to become the preeminent market for luxury and fashion.

Tommy Tse says the importance of this local experience and deep level of familiarity with the local industry should not be underestimated.

“Knowing the mainland culture and lifestyle, having a good level of social, cultural and symbolic capital, and understanding what the political boundaries are, are all, of course, important for a mainland fashion media leader to survive and thrive,” Tse explained.

However, Tse added a caveat. Local knowledge is not the only asset important for editors stepping into the shoes of China’s iconic first generation. In fact, Tse says, a legacy mindset is likely to be as much of a hindrance in today’s environment as a lack of familiarity with the local market.

“Being too familiar with and ingrained in how the fashion system worked in the past sometimes may hinder one to change and embrace new challenges too,” he said.

Just as important will be skills such as understanding algorithms, machine learning and consumer data, “a sharp eye for interpreting the new generation’s cultural and aesthetic preferences without simply imposing irrelevant, unrelatable styles and not just uncreatively following the mass trends,” Tse explained.

Indeed, this new generation of editors, including whoever takes over from Cheung at Vogue China, will need an armoury of weapons to overcome the challenges facing the fashion media at this time of great upheaval.
BOF

She has joined Sequoia Capital China as one of its investing partners.

“I am thrilled to have Margaret as the new editorial director of Vogue China,” said Wintour. “Her international experience, exceptional knowledge of multiple digital platforms, and diverse interests are the perfect combination to lead Vogue China into the future.”

Li Li, ceo of Condé Nast China, added that “Margaret understands the emerging trends of a new generation of Chinese people and has the business insight needed to push our data and views across all new digital platforms. We are very receptive to her creativity and innovation in defining new approaches to digital media and look forward to seeing her bring international Fashion to China while showcasing Chinese culture to the rest of the world.”

Zhang said that “Vogue has a strong legacy of over 125 years – at least in the U.S. – of important cultural impact. This new role gives me the incredible opportunity to reconcile my backgrounds, skills, and interests.”
WWD

Margaret Zhang appointed Editor-in-Chief of Vogue China

Margaret Zhang has been appointed as the editor-in-chief of Vogue China.

Zhang, a prominent filmmaker, photographer and writer, will succeed Vogue China founding editor-in-chief Angelica Cheung, and will oversee the editorial direction and content of Vogue China.

“Margaret creates content on so many different platforms and brings a new perspective and voice to Vogue China,” said Anna Wintour, global editorial director of Vogue and chief content officer of Condé Nast. “When Angelica Cheung founded Vogue China 15 years ago, she brilliantly broke new ground and now Margaret will continue that tradition of leading the incredibly creative and influential fashion culture in China.”

Since its launch in 2005, Vogue China has established itself as China’s most prominent fashion authority, with distinct content created for multiple platforms including print, digital, social and video. Zhang will be responsible for developing new and innovative ways of connecting Vogue China with communities, and elevating creative and design talent, whilst integrating issues of sustainability and inclusivity at the core of the brand. At just 27 years old, Zhang takes on her new role as Vogue’s youngest editor-in-chief globally.

“I am pleased to welcome Margaret to the Vogue China team, where both her visual strength as a creative and her business acumen will help accelerate our plans for digitalisation and the development of a new media success formula,” said Li Li, managing director of Condé Nast China. “Her ability to leverage Condé Nast China’s data and insights together with her knowledge of new and emerging digital platforms will help us, together with our partners, to create cutting edge programs, campaigns and events.”

Zhang, a globally recognized name in fashion, has a career across a multitude of disciplines including content curation, filmmaking, photography, consulting and journalism. Since establishing her website in 2009, Zhang has worked with many of the world’s biggest fashion and luxury companies including Chanel, Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Yeezy and her work has been widely featured. In 2016, she co-founded BACKGROUND, a global consultancy agency, which specializes in bridging Western and Chinese culture across a range of luxury, lifestyle and brand initiatives.

“Vogue represents the best of fashion and I’m looking forward to working with Anna and all of the incredibly talented editors across the company,” said Zhang.

Zhang holds bachelor's degrees in commerce and law from The University of Sydney. She has been listed in Forbes Asia’s 30 Under 30 and TimeOut’s 40 Under 40, and her work has been recognized as shaping the international fashion industry in the BoF500 Index.
condenast.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->