Anna Sui S/S 05 NYC

saturnine

Reaction score
Style.com Review:

NEW YORK, September 13, 2004 ? Anna Sui often pegs her collections to a certain era: In recent seasons, she's spun through on hippie chic, mod style, and moody, sixties-era Biba girls. This season, Sui drew on the rich romance of the American West in the late nineteenth century, plucking bits and pieces from cowboys, Indians, settlers, soldiers, and (in a more modern moment) rhinestone-bedecked rodeo girls. "With all the interest in Victoriana right now, it makes sense to look to what was going on in our country," Sui said. "This is what was happening here."

Sui always puts on a good show: The soundtrack is carefully chosen (this season, those New Romantic admirers of the Old West, Adam and the Ants, figured large). And every exit is an outfit, with appropriate accessories: for instance, a cropped denim jacket over a pintucked voile dress, with an embroidered petticoat underneath, all wrapped with a silver conch belt and accessorized with scrunched cowboy boots and a scruffy hat. At first, that comes across as costumey; take it apart, though, and you see why Sui is a veteran favorite of the downtown, rock 'n' roll crowd. All the trends are there, but confidently Sui-ified: loose, light frocks in vintage-looking floral prints, sweet voile pintucked blouses, full petticoat skirts with lots of embroidery, stylish cropped jackets, and an Empire-waist top with ribbon tie. The prairie never looked so good.

00010f.jpg

00020f.jpg

^^Anna Molinari, anyone? :innocent:
00030f.jpg

00040f.jpg

Whatever. I always group Anna with the whole Jill Stuart/Betsey Johnson/DVF crowd. Who really cares?

Never really been a fan of Anna Sui, but some of the pieces look interesting...

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Sep 14 2004, 09:14 AM
Whatever. I always group Anna with the whole Jill Stuart/Betsey Johnson/DVF crowd. Who really cares?
[snapback]366801[/snapback]​

I know what you mean, but I suppose everyone deserves a chance... you never know, one season she may produce something incredible. :P :flower:

This collection looks like it should have been shown three years back...
00290f.jpg
00300f.jpg

00330f.jpg
00340f.jpg

00370f.jpg
00380f.jpg

00520f.jpg
00540f.jpg

:heart: Somehow I love it even more after the first two batch of pics Amelie posted.

Some of those looks I wouldn't wear, but anyway.. :lol:

Ick

I've liked Anna Sui before... but this collection is one of those where the designer forgets not to be ugly...

i have never loved sui and i probably never will...but i hand it to her for touting the cowgirl chic in an age where everyone swears by the demure. it takes a true individual to pick up on where marc left off with those praire boots and take it to that whimsical and ironical extreme...and anna is nothing if not an individual

I usually like Anna's collections but this one doesn't do it for me at all. It's too dude-ranch for me. Those pieces individually are cool but worn together the models look like Annie Oakley clones. :innocent:

I love the western/pesant theme but the result is a bit dull

I'm not loving the collection but I kinda like this blouse:
00210f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->