Armani's Sexual Offence

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
so glad that people are finally taking some action, better late than never

Armani advert 'sexualised children'
Press Association
Wednesday May 12, 2004 8:23 AM

An advert for designer fashion brand Armani has been criticised for "sexualising children".

The offending advert featured a photograph of a long-haired child model sitting down and wearing just a pair of baggy jeans and a necklace.

The image, to promote Armani's Junior childrenswear range, sparked 74 complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) after it appeared in a magazine.

Some branded it "offensive" because it "sexualised children and encouraged them to emulate adults" while others said it "exploited the child in the photo" or "could encourage paedophiles".

Orthet Ltd, which holds the UK licence for the Armani Junior brand in the UK, did not comment to the ASA on the complaints but agreed to withdraw the advert in light of concerns. The company also promised not to use it again.

The Times told the watchdog it had received 10 complaints after the advert appeared in The Times Magazine.

The ASA said although it understood from Orthet the model was male, his gender was ambiguous and the advert "drew attention to the child's sexuality".

After an investigation, the watchdog concluded that because the advert "sexualised the child" it was "likely to cause serious or widespread offence".

It welcomed the decision to withdraw the advert but suggested Orthet seek advice before advertising again.

© Copyright Press Association Ltd 2004, All Rights Reserved

from the Guardian UK

:sick: :yuk:
we had the times, i wish i had seen the offending advert.. it must hav not been good.. as it didnt even stick in my head

i don't think that i have seen it....

it is a shame....

probably the person that did it didnt have that in mind but still they shouldnt use it.

Armani isn't the only culprit - some of thse D&G adverts are shockers....

there should be visuals coming up on this,
please do post if you find links or images from the Armani Junior ad :flower:

and yes, i agree there are quite few child-as-sexual-object inspired,
fashion advertisments around, i'll be glad to see them go, seems like
the 'general public' got finaly alerted .
hence "better late than never"

dont feed the beasts :nuke: :boxer:

as much as i am all for the hyper sexuality in mainstream adult ads, what bothers me about these children's ads is that there's an appetite for this stuff. children are maturing much faster these days and i think that a lot of these ads is a response to this new younger sexuality.

Originally posted by Lena@May 12th, 2004 - 6:20 am
there should be visuals coming up on this,
please do post if you find links or images from the Armani Junior ad :flower:
There's a tiny-*** thumbnail of it if you go to www.giorgioarmani.com. Hit your language preference and a smaller window appears. The thumbnail is the last one on the right as "Armani Junior."

Personally I don't see the big deal about this shot in particular.

Originally posted by Atelier@May 12th, 2004 - 8:40 am
Personally I don't see the big deal about this shot in particular.
Yet another useless controversy. I understand there are members in society who want to keep a check on the sexuality perceived in children's ads...but a boy shirtless is no more sexual than a diaperless baby. Come on.

overreactive, definitely! But we can't ignore the fact that the moral nature of us human beings is on the decline also.

thanks for the link, but i really love to see the original advertising.
the little picture was a bit shocking just because that young guy looks..
far too much like a girl :blink:

I am all for not exposing children sexually, but I think this as a bit of a overreaction...I've seen many Quiksilver ads of boys in just shorts and beaded necklaces like this ad but not one complaint.

I saw the ad in one of my papers/magazines and it was no big deal...He wasn't posed sexual or anything...like Mikeijames said..its no more sexual than a pampers commercial.

IMO, the picture was taken in a way that the boy looked like a naked girl. I just think this isn't right, the pic did look a bit dodgy, and children are innocent so lets not start a debate on that.

how can we talk without having a look at the actual advertisement :blink:

It really bothers me how they make young girls look like mini models (very thin long legs etc.). Their bodies havent developed yet and I guarentee you that when they turn 15 and start filling out the response will not be positive. I know that some people are naturally skinny and have model build but you dont know who these people are at until they are teenagers, but no one should go through childhood worrying about their weight

Originally posted by helena@May 12th, 2004 - 5:13 am
Armani isn't the only culprit - some of thse D&G adverts are shockers....
There was also the Calvin Klein scandal in the 90's. I'm wondering just how bad the Armani one's were. If they were similar to the CK one's I can see why it may be deemed offensive but I'd have to see them to judge.

Edit-just saw the little photo, from what I see there really wasn't anything offensive about it. Does anyone have a larger picture? I totally agree with whoever it was that said it's no more sexual then a diaper ad.

and I think it's not just a boy without a shirt, it's a boy being sexualized. i think it looks like he's oiled down or something. i breezed through the armani junior stuff and there were a few pics of little boys with no shirts on, and a jacket with their pants low and underwear showing. personally, it doesn't bother me but I can understand it's making a child into an adult when they clearly shouldn't be.

i just think they are bad pictures...period...they are ugly to me...bad styling...what's with the ugly necklaces...btw... :wacko: dumb idea to shoot the shirts open...trying too hard to be cool and looking stupid instead... :innocent: :ninja:

I think that it is wrong because they're trying to make the kid look like an adult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->