Asian Faces In High Fashion #1

Discussion in 'The ETC's of the Modeling World' started by Ujjwala, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Ujjwala

Ujjwala New Member

Disclaimer : I apologize ahead of time that this post might seem off topic and that it's rather large. Mods, please delete it if you like, I won't be offended.

These are the top Asian faces in today's High Fashion. By Top I mean that they have done extensive editorial, runway, and campaign work going for them. They are the visible faces of how Asians are represented in the fashion industry. Ai is probably the most visible with Ujjwala running second. Bai Ling is rumored to be branching out into acting and it figures since she's been in the business close to 8 years or so. Korean model Kae bears a strikng resemblance to the Siberian model of the mid 90's, Irina Pantaeva who is now an actress.

[​IMG][​IMG]

L to R : 1) Ai Tominaga (Japan), 2) Kae (Korea)

[​IMG][​IMG]

3) Bai Ling (Cambodia), 3) Ujjwala (India)

Then there is Ujjwala. The first Indian model to ever make it internationally. You can count Yasmeen Ghauri, of which she has been compared to as the absolute first south asian model but she was Pakistani-German and has long been retired from modeling. There is also a new Asian model in the D&G ads named Rila Fukushima. Could the Japanese doll look be a phase or a definite trend that's here to stay? Only time will tell. Whatever the case may be, Asian faces do not feature prominently in the fashion industry. Perhaps in the future that might change, but for now let's hope we can see more of the Asian models that we do have on the runways.

I also hope that designers like Versace, Prada, and Alberta Ferretti will include more Asian faces in the seasons to come. Thanks for letting me vent. :bunny:

2. Barbie

Barbie New Member

I agree their should be more diversity in tje runway and campaigns....beauty comes in a wide array and fashion is definitely the showcase for it!!!!

3. Jadee

Jadee New Member

Bai is so cute ! :heart:

4. ChinaLove

ChinaLove New Member

I definitely think there should be more Asians... I've noticed that there have been more Asian models, male and female, doing shows lately, albeit very few.

I've seen Rila before in person. But this was a few years ago. I swear to God she reminded me of an alien. I didn't even know she was a model, until I was told so.

5. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

Yah I agree, so many beautiful asians and so few to be seen where it could be claimed, that they showcase beauty. With regards to certain parts of Asia, I suppose the height is the main limitation, but if we're looking to diversify the whole scene, we would care less about that too? :blink:

6. ingenue

ingenue New Member

There was actually a popular Filipino model named Anna Bayle who's strutted the runways of YSL, Balenciaga, Ungaro.
    Another popular model was Melanie Marquez-- she is 6 feet tall almost! pretty too, but kinda... empty "up there" :blink:
    and there are actually a LOT of tall asians-- China has a LOT of them and there are many real GORGEOUS ones too! especially Shanghainese women!

7. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

Why don't we get to see them so? :cry:

8. tiffany

tiffany Active Member

I definitely agree - there are beautiful girls from asia and all over the world that should be involved in high fashion, diversity is beautiful and we need more of it :flower:

9. Ujjwala

Ujjwala New Member

YES! Filipina models are BEAUTIFUL!

I know of Melanie Marquez. She was a model way back in the Janice Dickenson, Esme Marshall days. Wasn't Melanie a Miss International or something in the late 70's?

I saw a pic of her ads & editorials somewhere. I can't remember where, exactly.

:question:

10. *AndoraStar*

*AndoraStar* Day Dreaming

Ladies I couldn't agree w/ you more.. my daughter is half Flipino.. I'm white and she's the most BEAUTIFUL THING!

11. meowmix

meowmix New Member

I couldn't agree more :flower: ! Unfortunatley though, I think it's an entirely different standard of beauty... the Western world (where the majority of high fashion i guess originated?) hasn't had a tradition of ethnic INCLUSION... and I think now that the world is so much more global, it's time we start showcasing a more global standard of beauty...

12. ChinaLove

ChinaLove New Member

I just noticed something... that model from Combodia you posted. Bai Ling? I know there's an actress names Bai Ling, and I definitley know for sure these aren't the same women... are you sure that model's name is Bai Ling? Just a question...

AND didn't Bai Ling the model do the Armani perfume ad a few years ago?

13. Ujjwala

Ujjwala New Member

You're totally right. My bad.

:hardhead:

The model's name is simply Ling

Where did I get Bai from?

:ninja:

14. TrailerCouture

TrailerCouture New Member

Asians have the one of the most beautiful bone structures in the world

15. gogopilgrim

gogopilgrim New Member

Ling Tan is from Malaysia... her sister Ein also models

also, kae iwakawa is japanese not korean

other asian models: li xin, meble tin, jaimee gong, gloria wang, mey bun, nanda hampe (1/2 thai), tracy trinita (1/2 indonesian), aline nakashima (1/2 japanese), rohini tiwari, tracy wang, serene chew, connie chiu, etc...

16. Nemova

Nemova -

and half brazilian :clap:

Nemova

17. gogopilgrim

gogopilgrim New Member

tracy trinita is half brazilian too! :p

18. Nemova

Nemova -

tracy trinita is half brazilian too! :p [/b][/quote]
    Really? :eek: I got to check this out right now :D

Nemova

19. Ujjwala

Ujjwala New Member

o2w, you are correct.

I must have heard the wrong info, sorry.

Here's a pic of Kae, anyway.

[​IMG]

Kae at Anand Jon Fall 2003 HC. She really does look like Irina Pantaeva.

20. Ujjwala

Ujjwala New Member

[​IMG]

Another Indian model in NYC. Meghna Reddy at Baby Phat Fall 2003. She's also done Sisley ads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.