Asian Faces In High Fashion

Ujjwala

Reaction score
Disclaimer : I apologize ahead of time that this post might seem off topic and that it's rather large. Mods, please delete it if you like, I won't be offended.

These are the top Asian faces in today's High Fashion. By Top I mean that they have done extensive editorial, runway, and campaign work going for them. They are the visible faces of how Asians are represented in the fashion industry. Ai is probably the most visible with Ujjwala running second. Bai Ling is rumored to be branching out into acting and it figures since she's been in the business close to 8 years or so. Korean model Kae bears a strikng resemblance to the Siberian model of the mid 90's, Irina Pantaeva who is now an actress.

00054.L.JPG
00100.L.JPG

L to R : 1) Ai Tominaga (Japan), 2) Kae (Korea)

00020.L.JPG
00027.L.JPG

3) Bai Ling (Cambodia), 3) Ujjwala (India)

Then there is Ujjwala. The first Indian model to ever make it internationally. You can count Yasmeen Ghauri, of which she has been compared to as the absolute first south asian model but she was Pakistani-German and has long been retired from modeling. There is also a new Asian model in the D&G ads named Rila Fukushima. Could the Japanese doll look be a phase or a definite trend that's here to stay? Only time will tell. Whatever the case may be, Asian faces do not feature prominently in the fashion industry. Perhaps in the future that might change, but for now let's hope we can see more of the Asian models that we do have on the runways.

I also hope that designers like Versace, Prada, and Alberta Ferretti will include more Asian faces in the seasons to come. Thanks for letting me vent. :bunny:

I agree their should be more diversity in tje runway and campaigns....beauty comes in a wide array and fashion is definitely the showcase for it!!!!

I definitely think there should be more Asians... I've noticed that there have been more Asian models, male and female, doing shows lately, albeit very few.

I've seen Rila before in person. But this was a few years ago. I swear to God she reminded me of an alien. I didn't even know she was a model, until I was told so.

Yah I agree, so many beautiful asians and so few to be seen where it could be claimed, that they showcase beauty. With regards to certain parts of Asia, I suppose the height is the main limitation, but if we're looking to diversify the whole scene, we would care less about that too? :blink:

There was actually a popular Filipino model named Anna Bayle who's strutted the runways of YSL, Balenciaga, Ungaro.
Another popular model was Melanie Marquez-- she is 6 feet tall almost! pretty too, but kinda... empty "up there" :blink:
and there are actually a LOT of tall asians-- China has a LOT of them and there are many real GORGEOUS ones too! especially Shanghainese women!

Originally posted by ingenue@Jan 21st, 2004 - 8:14 pm
there are actually a LOT of tall asians-- China has a LOT of them and there are many real GORGEOUS ones too!
Why don't we get to see them so? :cry:

I definitely agree - there are beautiful girls from asia and all over the world that should be involved in high fashion, diversity is beautiful and we need more of it :flower:

Originally posted by ingenue@Jan 21st, 2004 - 3:14 pm
There was actually a popular Filipino model named Anna Bayle who's strutted the runways of YSL, Balenciaga, Ungaro.
Another popular model was Melanie Marquez-- she is 6 feet tall almost! pretty too, but kinda... empty "up there" :blink:
and there are actually a LOT of tall asians-- China has a LOT of them and there are many real GORGEOUS ones too! especially Shanghainese women!
YES! Filipina models are BEAUTIFUL!

I know of Melanie Marquez. She was a model way back in the Janice Dickenson, Esme Marshall days. Wasn't Melanie a Miss International or something in the late 70's?

I saw a pic of her ads & editorials somewhere. I can't remember where, exactly.

:question:

Ladies I couldn't agree w/ you more.. my daughter is half Flipino.. I'm white and she's the most BEAUTIFUL THING!

Originally posted by tiffany@Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:34 pm
I definitely agree - there are beautiful girls from asia and all over the world that should be involved in high fashion, diversity is beautiful and we need more of it :flower:
I couldn't agree more :flower: ! Unfortunatley though, I think it's an entirely different standard of beauty... the Western world (where the majority of high fashion i guess originated?) hasn't had a tradition of ethnic INCLUSION... and I think now that the world is so much more global, it's time we start showcasing a more global standard of beauty...

I just noticed something... that model from Combodia you posted. Bai Ling? I know there's an actress names Bai Ling, and I definitley know for sure these aren't the same women... are you sure that model's name is Bai Ling? Just a question...

AND didn't Bai Ling the model do the Armani perfume ad a few years ago?

Originally posted by ChinaLove@Jan 21st, 2004 - 5:40 pm
I just noticed something... that model from Combodia you posted. Bai Ling? I know there's an actress names Bai Ling, and I definitley know for sure these aren't the same women... are you sure that model's name is Bai Ling? Just a question...

AND didn't Bai Ling the model do the Armani perfume ad a few years ago?
You're totally right. My bad.

:hardhead:

The model's name is simply Ling

Where did I get Bai from?

:ninja:

Ling Tan is from Malaysia... her sister Ein also models

also, kae iwakawa is japanese not korean

other asian models: li xin, meble tin, jaimee gong, gloria wang, mey bun, nanda hampe (1/2 thai), tracy trinita (1/2 indonesian), aline nakashima (1/2 japanese), rohini tiwari, tracy wang, serene chew, connie chiu, etc...

Originally posted by o2w+Jan 21st, 2004 - 11:20 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(o2w @ Jan 21st, 2004 - 11:20 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nemova@Jan 21st, 2004 - 8:08 pm
and half brazilian :clap:

Nemova
tracy trinita is half brazilian too! :P [/b][/quote]
Really? :o I got to check this out right now :D

Nemova

o2w, you are correct.

I must have heard the wrong info, sorry.

Here's a pic of Kae, anyway.

hiResWeb166391.jpg

Kae at Anand Jon Fall 2003 HC. She really does look like Irina Pantaeva.

hiResWeb166398.jpg

Another Indian model in NYC. Meghna Reddy at Baby Phat Fall 2003. She's also done Sisley ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->