Asian Faces In High Fashion #1

Discussion in 'The ETC's of the Modeling World' started by Ujjwala, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultramarine

ultramarine chaos reigns

Wasn't Ling on a -really old- editorial for french Vogue named "Ma vie en rose" or something like it ... I recall some pics of her with rose petals on her eyebrows ... has anyone seen that editorial? I think that was her ...

2. mode_addict

mode_addict New Member

is ujjwala with the large scar on her upper arm. if that is her... i love her alot. i was excited to see her host a food network show. they tried to cover it up but i like it alot actually.

3. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

No, that's Padma Lakshmi but you're right she's G O R G E O U S.

4. JazziBAP

JazziBAP New Member

I also hope that more Asian models are included in the fashion industry, and not just those who are half-white.

5. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

Here's another picture of May. :flower:

6. i_<3_chanel

i_<3_chanel elementary.

i think there is a serious lack of indian/pakistani/sri lankan etc. models in the industry . . . . aswell as 'oriental' models :unsure: hopefully one day ther will be a more balanced industry . . .

7. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

One day the modeling industry will have to wake up... :rolleyes:

8. pinkillumination

pinkillumination New Member

i think people need to take into thought that the majority of oriental girls are also quite petite (Devon was put into the modelling world by Kate Moss, i think they have the same godmother or something)... but nowadays i think modelling agencies are starting to look beyond the typical skinny 6ft girl... so maybe in a few years time, asian models will be on the runway equal amounts compared to all the other nationalities. (also more voluptuous, but thats a different story! :p)

9. ChinaLove

ChinaLove New Member

If I hear one more person say that Asians are short, I'm going to throw my monitor at them. As if there aren't short non-Asians :rolleyes: Let me tell you something, I have 3 Asian girl friends who are over 6 feet tall, the tallest being 6'3. The sad thing about it is people make it as if they are anomalies or something, just because they're Asians.

I think there are very few Asians making it into high fashion because there are very few Asians trying to get into the high fashion market. Out of the thousands and thousands of girls trying to make it big in Milan, Paris and N.Y, how much of them are actually Asian? I know that there are many more circumstances that are a factor, but I know that when a particular group becomes a minority in a certain business, it's because there are proportionally less of them trying out for that business.

10. BCBG freak

BCBG freak New Member

Ai is gorgeous..! I totally agree with you guys.. Diversity is good! I personally think the designers are doing a terrefic job concerning which models run on their shows though.. out of curiosity though, does anyone know of any middle eastern models? I think they're really sexy and they should have a chance to do some shows.. :rolleyes: lol.

11. Sephora_Socialite

Sephora_Socialite Fierce Flava

There are now designers whoare starting to mix up the talent like MArc Jacobs hires more Asians and Blacks in his shows than most others...like most have just 1 token black girl or asian girl....

Also, there's a few designers that are Asian, only a few bigtime Asians are known..Vera Wang, Anna Sui, and Monique Llhullier.

Still like everything, if we give it time things will slowly change...its starting to show with the diversity in modeling slowly increasing....but we can't expect it to immediately change...

It took a century to end slavery, decades to have women vote...I think changing the fashion industry will take time like those things too.

12. pinkillumination

pinkillumination New Member

ok, my bad then, a MAJORITY of oriental girls are petite.

if you had to compare Swedish chicks to Chinese chicks, the majority of Chinese chicks would be 'shorter' compared to the Swedish Chicks. There are even statistics for this.

lol no need to get so defensive, im thai, im petite, i already know it lol

13. skyhigh

skyhigh New Member

ok, my bad then, a MAJORITY of oriental girls are petite.

if you had to compare Swedish chicks to Chinese chicks, the majority of Chinese chicks would be 'shorter' compared to the Swedish Chicks. There are even statistics for this.

lol no need to get so defensive, im thai, im petite, i already know it lol [/b][/quote]
    Actually if you take a stroll down Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taipei, Tokyo, or Seoul (and probably a multitude of other Asian cities. I haven't been to South Asia yet so someone'll have to tell me about that), you'll see quite a number of tall girls. Okay, maybe not as much as if you were in, say, Copenhagen or Amsterdam, but still a considerable amount. I think the stereotype that Asian girls are small generated in the 80s when true, the asians people see were pretty petite. But now a lot of asian girls are tall. My sister, for one, is 5'9" (while I'm only 5'7", how unfair)

Also, my discovery is that notion of 'short' Asian girls is more apparent in countries in Southeast Asia, like the Philippines, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, etc. than in northeastern asian countries (Japan, China, Korea, etc). But that's just my observation. I'm sure there are exceptions.

14. skyhigh

skyhigh New Member

Here's another picture of Ai at the Vivienne Tam FW04 show.

15. skyhigh

skyhigh New Member

Ai at Heatherette FW 04, pretty smile.

16. skyhigh

skyhigh New Member

Here's a girl with Q Management. Her name's Sylvia Kwon. New York Metro had her under Model Watch: Hottest for Fall 2004 Shows.

Info:
    Agency: Q Model Management
    Hails from: Pusan, Korea
    The Simple Life: Although Sylvia's career is on the fast track (she's appeared in international campaigns for L'Oreal and recently shot spreads for Italian Vogue with photographer Peter Lindbergh), this beauty isn't letting fame and glamour go to her head. "I'm trying not to let this change me," says Sylvia, "I want to be that nice and friendly girl I've always been." When not strutting the runway for designers like Cynthia Rowley and Zang Toi , you can find her shredding the local slopes with her favorite fashion accessory—a snowboard.

17. Golden_butterfly

Golden_butterfly The mod squad

Thats not Aditit,thats Shivani kapur :)
    This is Aditi.

By the way...if u have a few more pics os Shivani Kapur,cud u pls
    post them here or send me links? I like her so much :flower:

18. Golden_butterfly

Golden_butterfly The mod squad

Meghna Reddy from Baby Phat summer 2003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.