Atlanta To Launch It's Own Fashion Week

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by stylegurrl, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

Good Point :flower:

2. SCBlondie

SCBlondie New Member

I love Atlanta (except thier basball team :innocent: ). I don't really see at as a fashion capitol though. It could be interesting...

3. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

i agree, well not grotesque but certinly not what i thought it was going to be :blink:

San Francisco is starting a fashion week though, i think this year is the first year

4. marrimoda

marrimoda doing it

Clay -- you mentioned that you worked in the Bay area and that there is actually a fashion industry there. Can you expand on this? I dont live anywhere near there but I am curious. When I think of SF -- I might think of Levis and a couple of other companies, but I havent heard much so I am underinformed -- maybe others are too. I think we always hear that if youre in fashion you have to be in NY, Paris, or Milan... I think its time we start hearning more from the other cities that have specific fashion contributions.

5. Theory

Theory New Member

I'm sure the gay population is more dominant and visibile in SF, but I've been to ATL often and there's defintely a large contingent. I am unsure if its larger but Atlanta has been called the black gay mecca, which wouldn't be too surprising given its sizable black population.

As for Barneys, they may be coming to SF if they (new owners) decide to expand again.

6. datura001

datura001 New Member

i think it's great, it will at least give young designers a means to express themselves, gain some experience...I think I'm tired of it being all about New York in America. This country is too big, too diverse to be spoonfed NYC all the time.

7. TheSweetest

TheSweetest New Member

I wish everyone would just give it a chance and see. I just don't get how is it that b/c the majority is black that is going to be raunchy. Tasteless, tacky ppl are in every part of the world. Don't judge for goodness sakes. Be positive and give it a chance.

8. Holland_MULTIMEDIA*

Holland_MULTIMEDIA* New Member

I dont think ANYBODY said black people are going to make the shows bad. :cry: For god sakes why has racism become such a big issue on this board.
    The reason I dont think they will be good is because Atlanta isnt even known for being a big fashion city. I mean lets be honest I dont think any major company will actually take the shows seriously. When i think "Atlanta Fashion Week" i invision a bunch of student designers showing there collections, not actual houses. And the reason that will be lame is beacuse students are everywhere! so whats the point?

Besides Ive never heard of any art schools in atlanta. :sick: sorry.

9. TheSweetest

TheSweetest New Member

there are plenty of art programs in Atlanta. I never tried to make race an issue, but i am under the impression that some believe it will be mainly urban apparel and not very attractive and maybe it's true, but I just don't want anyone to prejudge. that's like calling a pregnant woman's child ugly when you have yet to see him/her.

(i have to say the FWA site isn't so hot. i AM a bit worried. :ermm: )

10. Angela A

Angela A New Member

I am eagerly anticipating this event. I'm curious as to what type of clothing will be shown and will be introduced. Maybe it will be a nice beginning or stepping stone to more things to come...

11. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

New Style Magazine Click here to see cover photo

12. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Well-Known Member

No, not really. Not ones that have strong fashion programs at least.

But you guys need to keep in mind that even London which has Central St.Martins, London College of Fashion, Chelsea School of Art and Design, etc has a struggling fashion week. I think in order for there to be any chance of a decent fashion week the city must be a fashion capital. Atlanta certainly is not one. But even that prerequisite does not mean succes as is the case with L.A. and London.

I think people would be reacting the same way about Atlanta if it were say Cleveland or Boston instead. Both cities have good art programs, good economies, but like Atlanta there just isn't enough of the industry to draw designers and buyers there.

13. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Well-Known Member

Maybe I am just too jaded but I get bored with even NYC fashion week. I really am not interested in what Americans are doing. I'd rather see Antwerp, Berlin, or Dusseldorf receive more attention.

14. clay

clay New Member

Its been years since i worked or lived there, but there are many companies they are just small and we know the big ones, Gap, Levis, Mervyns ect. Check out my post on SF fashion week. It has these guys i never heard of but is till interesting. Also chck out the Apparel Mart at Pacific Center ( i think). Defintly many Indie designers out there. I not know much here anymore.