Back to the 80's F/W 09.10

Looking Ahead To Fall 2009 & Back To The 80s

By
Jayne Costello Goode

This past November I attended a fall 2009 fashion preview co-sponsored by Boston Fashion Week and Fashion Group International. When the final frame of the Spring/Summer 2009 screening faded out, the room was quite. "Really?" hung, unspoken in the air. 80's inspired trends ran rampant on the runways. The critique that followed by Boston fashion notables as well as representatives from WWD and Lucky Magazine confirmed what many of us in the room seemed uneasy to believe: 80s fashion trends provided notable inspiration to Fall 2009 collections. With that, however, was the added notion that anything goes; wear what looks good on you and wear what you like. Enter Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week.

Collections presented on day one were indeed reminiscent of the runways of the 80s. Some designers enjoyed greater success at incorporating the look than others. Different spins on the theme appeared in Yigal Azrouel's sporadically futuristic collection as well as in Charlotte Ronson's more tailored version.

Also present, however, was the notion that the trend is infused into a more open minded concept of what is and is not acceptable. While asymmetry, cutouts, jumpsuits and Dhoti pants made their appearance, so also did wide legs and tapered legs with hems above and below the ankle. Patterned leggings and tights peppered collections as did monochromatic looks. Hems on skirts were both high above the knee and just below. Oversized plaid made a few appearances as did some overstated textures. Duckie Browne included a fine looking larger scale herringbone in a beautifully tailored menswear collection albeit paired with oversized scarves and towering toppers.

Some may find the eclecticism confusing, perhaps. True visionaries, however, will view these collections and those not yet presented with an eye toward incorporating a few personally favorable pieces into their own wardrobes to cultivate their personal style.

chicgalleria.com

I generally hate the 80's, but what is the worst about them, is that they're everywhere this season. I can understand Marc Jacobs, but Balenciaga or Nina Ricci is just too much :yuk:

Holy guacamole

That's an exotic mix of prints in the fourth outfit in post #80!
Safari road kill.....

I don't know if this will be a very wearable trend..it'll be interesting to see the highstreet's take on it

Hi paisano! :flower:

Ok back on topic...

Limi Feu

Gianfranco Ferré

Alessia Xoccato

style.it

well over the past 5 years 80s fashion has dominated the scene this fall , its like over kill , after that i hopefully dont ever ever want to see 80s fashion again , im sure in the next decade that 70s/90s look will come back full force .

Alberta Ferretti

Brian Reyes

Hussein Chalayan

style.it

Fashion redux: The '80s are seen on the fall 2009 runway shows

During the past few months of fall 2009 fashion shows, we got a glimpse of fashion forward as well as a bit of deja vu. Trends from the 1980s and early '90s have popped up on the runway again. Here's a look at our fashion photos from years past and how they compare to what's in store for autumn and winter.

Pictured: Erin and Lisa Aquayo at Antenna, where they shopped in 1989.

"Roberto Cavalli seemed to have '80s-era biker bars and heavy-metal hair bands in mind when he designed his forgettable collection of leather leggings, zippered and studded suede miniskirts and fur-trimmed motorcycle jackets, with a few sheer gowns worn over leotards thrown in for good measure,"

Patricia Kennedy, a sister of JFK, wore a black velvet Emanuel Unagro gown to the Joffrey Ballet opening in 1987.

Velvet with a dash of trim showed up at Emporio Armani's runway show at the fall 2009 Milan Fashion Week.

A pink lamé draped dress from Emanuel Ungaro's 1988-89 fall-winter ready-to-wear fashion show in Paris included surface texture and a bare shoulder.

Dolce & Gabbana also were thinking pink frills and surface texture at their runway show during the fall 2009 Milan Fashion Week.

French fashion house Balmain also went for '80s sparkle with a bare shoulder and lots of texture at its fall 2009 Paris Fashion Week show.

This outfit from Angel Estrada's Spring 1989 collection was body conscious with a bit of surface texture.

Power red: Moschino adds dimension during the fall 2009 Milan Fashion Week. The invitation even included a Rubik's Cube.

In 1987, Louis Dell' Olio for Anne Klein barred a bit of belly with these high-waist baggy pants.

Marc Jacobs, as well as some others, showed pegged pants -- high-waisted but with a bit more taper -- on the fall 2009 New York Fashion Week runways.

In 1988, Calvin Klein displayed a shaped, houndstooth suit that fell below the knee.

Zac Posen shows a similar take on this look at the fall 2009 New York Fashion Week.

Unreal: Sonia Rkiel's three-quarter-length faux leopard coat cost $1,045 in 1989.

Oscar de la Renta's leopard-print coat was shown at the fall 2009 New York Fashion Week.

latimes.com

Fashion redux:The '80s are seen on the fall 2009 runway shows (Part II)

Lace -- and fishnets like these mesh summer gloves by LaCrasia Duchine from 1984 -- were once all the rage.

More gloves and more lace -- albeit separated this time -- at Zac Posen's fall 2009 New York Fashion Week show.

In 1988, big was in, as evidenced by the giant bow on this single-sleeve Victor Costa evening gown.

Oscar de la Renta's fall 2009 New York Fashion Week show also took a bow ...

... while this dress from Michael Kors' fall 2009 New York Fashion Week show kept to one sleeve.

The 1989 power suit: Giorgio Armani's understated yet authoritative boss' attire.

Aquilano e Rimondi goes for jackets with padded shoulders at the fall 2009 Paris Fashion Week.

A 1987 Christian Lacroix dress with a full skirt and velvet bodice.

Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton was one of many showcasing the puffy short skirts and shoulders of fashions past at this season's fashion weeks.

latimes.com

this makes me think of proms and back to the future..

I think 80's will come back. My parents saw the 80's but i didn't, i was a child and I personally i like to see my mom's looks from that period. I think 80's will come back to those people who haven't experienced it yet, like me. As a lot of people said, 80's are good once, not twice. Well, now it will be the first time for the people that was too young to live the 80's.
I hope you understand what i mean lol:D

Nina Ricci Pre-Fall

Stella McCartney Pre-Fall

Sonia Rykiel Pre-Fall

style.com

no doubt in my opinion that balmain did the 80's look the best.

Just Cavalli Pre-Fall

Loewe Pre-Fall

Victor & Rolf Pre-fall

style.com

Emanuel Ungaro Pre-Fall

Marni Pre-Fall

style.com

Petit Bateau
petit-bateau-fall-09-1a.jpg

petit-bateau-fall-09-2.jpg

petit-bateau-fall-09-3.jpg

petit-bateau-fall-09-7.jpg

cyanatrendland.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the wide-shouldered nipped-waist blazers + slim pants/jeans because that's such a flattering silhouette for me. My mom is appalled but I looooooooove the Balmain jackets with the puffed shoulders and the defined waist. So fabulous.
00030m.jpg

00050m.jpg

00090m.jpg

00220m.jpg

(from style.com)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back