Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
BAL MASQUE

FRIDAY 16 & SATURDAY 17 APRIL
MODENATIE – ANTWERP

Bodies, masks and a party
Performances, installations and video

A project by wp Zimmer in association with MoMu and FFI, presented as part of the ‘Driemast Festival’.

Throughout the building, performances, installations and video can be seen, created by young performing artists and a film-maker. They are fascinated by masks. Because they have such a direct and powerful impact. Because they can be both odd and liberating. Because they make bodies speak. Because they make the many hidden aspects of identity tangible.
In the meantime you have a drink in the central space on the ground floor (Forum), which will be transformed into a ballroom with bar. With a strict dress code: black. Every visitor wears a mask, which has to be worn all evening and night. The masks are to be designed by several Belgian designers. Seeing and being seen here take on a completely different meaning.
• The designers who have agreed to design masks include: A.F. Vandevorst, Veronique Branquinho, Bruno Pieters, Haider Ackermann, Lieve Van Gorp, Tim Van Steenbergen and Christian Wijnants.
• The artists participating are: Davis Freeman & Lila Mestre, Liesbet Adriaensen & Katja Dreyer, GisPle Vienne & Etienne Bideau-Rey, Maria Clara Villa Lobos & Inneke Van Waeyenberghe.
• Set designer: Geert Peymen

I really like this idea. :flower: :heart:

Yeah, I saw that too! Sounds cool. I figured that you'd know Mode Natie website :lol:

Thanks, Scott. :flower: Sounds cool, no? I so agree with the description on masks. That's why it was used in the way it was used in Eyes Wide Shut and Truman Capote's Black & White Ball.

This is brilliant. Always count on a Belgian to come up with something so beautiful.

I wish I could go because I love masks.

I wonder if A.F. Vandevorst will be doing their masks like they did for Spring 2002? They were like baseball caps which you could pull down over your face.

Originally posted by Scott@Apr 14th, 2004 - 10:07 am
This is brilliant. Always count on a Belgian to come up with something so beautiful.

I wish I could go because I love masks.

I wonder if A.F. Vandevorst will be doing their masks like they did for Spring 2002? They were like baseball caps which you could pull down over your face.
hijack. any progress on moving there?

Not yet. First,Paris is in the early Autumn or possibly longer. Meanwhile,expect that I will be there on more than a few occasions. :P

Thanks for the information. I think I'm gonna check this out! :woot:

I wanted to go to this!!! :lol: :heart: :heart:

I am too late for tickets,so I'm really :angry:

Love the idea,I saw some of the masks in a magazine and they are :o :woot:

cool concept...thx for the topic scott...

Originally posted by trean@Apr 14th, 2004 - 12:22 pm

Care to divulge in a few descriptions,Trean? :P :wink:

I'm with you though,I wish I could have been there this year rather than 2002 this time.

Yes. I just realized they updated the website for the event in English. No pictures though. They'll probably have those up after the event.

http://www.balmasque.be

We just saw a condensed version of Hamlet in school where there were only two actors (one male, one female) who played all of the parts using masks. It was delectable.

amazinG! I'am quite in love with masks and body art. i think it should be very itnresting. I have worked in performance art and simialre things befor so i fidn this very intresting.

Originally posted by Scott+Apr 14th, 2004 - 11:59 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scott @ Apr 14th, 2004 - 11:59 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-trean@Apr 14th, 2004 - 12:22 pm

Care to divulge in a few descriptions,Trean? :P :wink:

I'm with you though,I wish I could have been there this year rather than 2002 this time. [/b][/quote]
:P The photos are on now,in the guestbook all the people who went seem to be dissapointed though,apparently there wasn't really much going on ... :(

Some of the masks . . . . .

Attachments

• someof.JPG
    someof.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 3
A few people said to me that the Inge Grognard visor was the biggest hit of the event. Personally,when I looked,I loved them all.

I wonder why there wasn't much going on? Weren't there supposed to be some films and presentations going on?

a little dispoitn with the results, the desigenrs could have done better :(

still really nice :heart:

Originally posted by Scott@May 1st, 2004 - 10:10 pm
A few people said to me that the Inge Grognard visor was the biggest hit of the event. Personally,when I looked,I loved them all.

I wonder why there wasn't much going on? Weren't there supposed to be some films and presentations going on?
I thought so too,Spacemiu :unsure:

I don't really know Scoot;but reading the Bg,I think because the ticket sale was really limited (they only had around 200 masks?),so maybe the whole atmosphere wasn't really good.Also was said that the setting was looking a bit empty and 'cold'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->