Balenciaga Pre-Fall 2021 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by vogue28, Apr 18, 2021.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

VOGUE.COM

2. vogue28

3. vogue28

4. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Well-Known Member

I really like this! I am by no means their customer and Demna usually leaves me cold, but this is really good! For all the weirdness and austerity, it made me smile.

Too bad the energy of the womenswear is nowhere to be find in menswear, which seems very recycled.

5. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

Every time there´s a "new" collection by Demna, I feel like this:
    [​IMG]
    tenor.com

6. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

The all-black looks are not terrible.

I really don’t know why he can’t let go of the kitsch styling and presentation and logos...all of that is obviously his MO, but why not try something just a bit more elevated and timeless?? Would that be so hard?

I really don’t like him...but I can objectively see potential. Problem is, he gets in his own way. He can’t help himself...there has to be an ugly sneaker, a stupid graphic, athletic and utility wear, a low-brow baseball cap, a cheesy green-screen lookbook, ugly models, etc. etc. It makes for very predictable and one-dimensional.

Frida and SophiaVB like this.
  7. avonlea002

avonlea002 Well-Known Member

No words for this sh*t. Can't wait to see him go.

8. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

Someone make this stop! I don't know how he can derive any sense of excitement or accomplishment in doing the same collection over and over again...maybe when he gets his check?

Either way, I would have felt suicidal two years ago.

9. THD96

THD96 Well-Known Member

404 Cristóbal not found in this Balenciaga.

Why everything looks so sloppy? The clothes are just ill-fitting and badly construct with crinkly fabrics.

10. conspicuousconsumer

Really gave me a chuckle.
    While I love certain things like the grey Mongolian? coat with the purple boots or the grey ensemble with the clutch set in an Asian city background. I am not thrilled with the rest of this. Yes Balenciaga was known for volume and grand proportions but the models never looked like they were drowning in fabric. I don’t know what else to say at the moment.

11. perhydrol

perhydrol Well-Known Member

Demna has given up. Once again he made a collection that is just too Vetements to be taken seriously. Usually, the tailoring is his forte (when he's not making strange pagoda shoulders). To me the most iconic looks from his tenure at Balenciaga are the suits from F/W 16 and F/W 18. However, everything in this collection is just sloppy and oversized in a really strange, uncool way, as if he had lost his touch. I'm not even going to comment on that "GAY" play on the logo of Gap or the upside-down swoosh because those gimmicks are not even funny. As a whole, it's rather a weak pre- collection.

Going back to the Vetements overload, it's interesting, because the OG brand is kind of lost now and it seems that nobody really pays attention to it anymore. So, why Balenciaga is stuck with the same aesthetic? The hype will finally die out, in the same way as it's dying out for Gucci, and they will be left with nothing.

jeanclaude likes this.
  12. susseinmcswanny

susseinmcswanny Well-Known Member

13. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

I like Gucci x Balenciaga more than this Balenciaga. Weirdly enough their collab are much better than their same own things. Maybe try to learn from each other?

14. Kite

Kite Well-Known Member

Monetising Gay Pride is disgusting.

What a talentless bunch of jumped up as***les.

Blayne266, jeanclaude and YohjiAddict like this.
  15. bc collector

bc collector Well-Known Member

We can take this (or any of the recent Demna's "efforts") as a manifesto for the cynicism, the greed and the utter ignorance of the corporate culture governing fashion today.

jeanclaude likes this.
  16. mistress_f

mistress_f Hell on Heels

the gay logos in the gap lettering have to be a joke, RIGHT?

17. TianCouture

TianCouture Well-Known Member

18. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

Vetements lite.

19. StylishCynic

StylishCynic Member

Cathy Horyn kept her notes brief on this collection, but saved her more cutting words when it came to Gucci "hacking" Balenciaga.

Gucci "hacking Balenciaga"
    Gucci insisted that its use of the Balenciaga logo... and some of its key designs was not a collab, but rather, “a hack,”...

This is hardly true. Designers have been sampling, lifting, hacking for decades. Think of Marc Jacobs’s collections based on the work of Pierre Cardin, or Yohji Yamamoto, or Rei Kawakubo. Any designer can co-opt or subvert a label — think of Miguel Adrover’s repurposing of a Louis Vuitton Monogram bag for the back of a coat. The fact that Alessandro Michele, Gucci’s creative director, chose to hack Gvasalia’s work is an acknowledgment of the latter’s power. Gvasalia has been flagrant in his use of designs associated with Martin Margiela, like the Tabi boot, and probably, too, he understands that information moves too fast today for a generation to care about the original source of something. They devour and move on.

I can see, from Michele’s perspective, that jangling up the Gucci name with Balenciaga’s... might be regarded as an expression of freedom...

But, frankly, in the end, I didn’t see the point of the Balenciaga riff except as a publicity vehicle.

Balenciaga Pre-Fall 2021 Review
    I am so eager to see what Gvasalia will do for his first haute couture collection for Balenciaga, which is expected this year. In the meantime, on Sunday, he offered up his pre-fall collection, which featured models against a range of international landmarks, all digitally arranged. Loaded with the tracksuits, hoodies, loose dresses, and oversize coats that have come to represent Balenciaga street staples, the collection was clear and direct, but perhaps lacked the sense of inquisitiveness that has defined Gvasalia’s best work.

Source: The Paradox at the Heart of Gucci x Balenciaga, The Cut, 4/19/21

GERGIN likes this.
  20. IloveDiorHomme

IloveDiorHomme Well-Known Member

Since Demna left Vêtments, Balenciaga looks more and more like...Vêtements.
    His very first collection for the brand didn't include any hoodie, cap, tracksuit...

He used to bring quirky new elements season after season...I am getting bored now. It's always the same casting, the same kind of shoes, the same proportions, the same styling.

And the "GAY" items...so disrespectful for all the LGBTQI people who are facing struggles during this pandemic. I am thinking about all those queer refugees escaping their countries because homosexuality is still punished by a death sentence in some parts of this world.

21. entten

entten Active Member

I will never stop declaring how much I hate this lazy pretentious guy and all the laughable neukölln hipster clones. But I kinda like that Balenciaga became a brand loved by tacky osmanic toys - shisha bar- tacky soccer kind of guys :D at least in Germany. Its what the brand deserves.