Balenciaga S/S 2003 Paris

It’s funny to see that today and realize how normal it is and also at the same time, think about how ahead of the time it was. 2003 was a good year for fashion!

I remember, it was the time when Balenciaga had a lot of sizing issue. It was considered quite difficult to wear and the narrow fit made it difficult to market in a way.

It was Balenciaga at it most elitist!
It’s kinda frustrating because, this today would be a commercial hit!

Lucky me, I now own some pieces of that iconic collection!
I miss that type of fashion. So simple, so effective. I don’t think this era allows it anymore...

It’s funny to see that today and realize how normal it is and also at the same time, think about how ahead of the time it was. 2003 was a good year for fashion!

That's what always strikes me every time I see this collection, 15 years later and it looks so fresh and modern. No wonder it's so sought after by collectors. The prices are out there for all the pieces I've found online. I mean £6,000 for Diana Dondoe's dress. :ninja:

Lucky me, I now own some pieces of that iconic collection!
I miss that type of fashion. So simple, so effective. I don’t think this era allows it anymore...

By today's standards definitely, but compared to what Melane Ward was doing at Helmut Lang during this period this is quite out there, elaborate and somewhat kitschy with its aquatic theme. Not to deny the amount of solid, versatile pieces shown in here but it's funny to see how much our perception has evolved, Nicolas' collections only got bolder and more ambitious as the years went by but a certain charm remains in his simpler offerings.

I think the guy who was at Iceberg a few years ago mined this collection, and this period of Balenciaga, for all its worth in a way that seemed somewhat relevant to this decade, but I agree that fashion audiences have become increasingly concerned with logo-ed everything and endless cultural references to entretain their Instagram followers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armanmkhitaryan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->