Balenciaga S/S 2019 Paris

I really loved this collection, especially the tailoring and the nods to Cristobal at the end with the last few dresses. I was unsure of Demna being at Balenciaga when it was first announced but he's come to be one of my favorite designers in recent years. No one else is doing what he's doing and he's been very respectable to Cristobal. I changed my view on Demna after reading his interviews and watching some videos of him on YouTube. I used to be pretty cynical, regrettably.

/sorry long post... My first post on TFS. Studying Fashion Design in school so decided to finally get a membership here.

The immersive video screens gave the show such an eerie, yet beautiful vibe. I loved that. As for the clothes, I've mostly been indifferent about Demna at Balenciaga, but I did love the sharply tailored suits at the beginning and some of the dresses. The menswear does not speak to me so much.

As much as I immediately think of gimmicks when Demna comes up, I must say I love this. This is a new offering, this lack stupid layered parkas and annoying text prints - everything wrong with fashion today.
A new offering from Demna. This is a truly good direction to go for him.

Demna: Damn, we've designed the same dresses, the same boots, the same coats, the same prints, the same shapes. What we can do to make it acceptable and seduce all those morons who are going to love me no matter what?

Making the whole inmersive thing worked a lot. I don't think this is bad at all -even more, it's quite an improvement- but COME ON. Ghesquiere did wonders with the Balenciaga archive. I've been watching the same show over and over. What I want to say is: take off those clothes from that presentation and they're nothing new or even refreshing. The final four looks are the only thing that worth here.

The set design is great! And for once, there were a few looks I really liked. Can't say that about the last seasons of Balenciaga.

Beautiful show minus the menswear and the CK boots rip offs. The fact that Lotta did not style the show helped a lot I think. I wish he offered us more of the coats from the beginning and of the dresses seen at the end. Plus, the casting is a big no for me.

Love this... it is refreshing how different from everyone else he is... the best collection so far!

I can't help but feel that Demna's time is up. It's definitely one of his better collections for Balenciaga but this feels very passé to me. I had to google to remember what his previous campaign looked like.

Does it make me a hypocrite if I'm smitten with so many of the Wang-esque Balenciaga looks? Because I couldn't abide Wang's collections for this brand.

Anyway, this is a real love/hate offering for me. I really like all the slick, Blade Runner-like looks on the women in the first segment. Special shoutout to the lilac coatdress (look 4), white oversized shirt and black frill-hemmed skirt, the 2nd last red look, all the black jackets on the men, and that tight-fitted parka with the cuff right up to the eyes! I'm not too impressed with the denim pieces (unnecessary fodder), the print pieces (lazy!), and the random EE styling which this time around seems out of place. But overall this is a splendid collection. Luxurious, purely by looking at it. And the setting made it even better.

Maybe the fall of Vetements will mean the rise of Balenciaga?

Trashier than a 2003 Versus, are those hipsters going to be able to un/ironically like this?

I don't know. Seen too many LA high street "rock brands" adoring this neon color along with shiny fabric for the major part of the past 20 years, I responded with ewwww in no second. And I dont really like his Balenciaga anyway, so.

How this high saturated color palette looking so fashionable in anime, at the same time, annoyingly trashy in reality bothers me.

I will have to suck my ego up to say this but this is my favorite collection of his at the house. It feels just right. The menswear still needs more work but it's miles better than past seasons. The collection feels focus and he has been paying attention to bring the couture sense to his style that it finally works here. It is not ground breaking but for a commercial collection, this is miles ahead of the new Celine. And the set design is just an icing on the cake. Amazing!

^ I feel the same. I'll be the first to say I haven't been a big fan of Denma at Balenciaga. But this actually reads and feels like Balenciaga to me. It's straightforward by way of the cuts, tailoring, and technicality. His point of view is still very clear but its less obnoxious.

Beautiful set but kinda unimpressed.
I think the set and the music really helped to create an atmosphere but the clothes are a bit the usual thing.
I really like the long twisted satin yellow shirt dress and some of the last few looks.

I regret that the clothes are not as flawlessly made as they should be but I like this less sensationalist feel. It feels very fresh.

But for me, a bit like with Gucci, the magic is not there anymore.

I can see his lame trick here...an amazing hi-tech set with the same basic clothes he always makes. Huge 80s shoulder-pads, some tacky prints here and there; and of course a bunch of Balenciaga logos to finish it all.

This is like trying to play Ghesquière with a flashy set; and a pair of coats which have a vague sci-fi mood at the beginning. But the rest is very mundane like always. Remove the set and you have the same boring and uninspired rags he always delivers.

Look who show up to work!! See Demna? Is not that hard.

Its a fine collection. For the first time I feel like he is not trying to tricky me. The menswear is finally appealing. There is some pieces that can attract ppl from outside his camp.. All this makes think that this is his best collection so far. Its like his very first collections at this house, where he had to prove that he can be in control of Balenciaga, but this time is better.

I dont expect much more than this from him TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->