Balmain Haute Couture S/S 2019 Paris

He needs to know Couture doesn't mean craziness. It could be expressive, extravagant and avant-garde, but not this. His RTW collection has better couture value than this.

Well... I like the pearl and mother of pear color palette. But it's just so damn busy. Every look is like a frankeinstein dress, piece from here, another from there, throw this on top and so on. There's obviously some great techniques in the work, they look well made and the fabrics are great but it's too much. I even like the hats, they could look really chic with something more simple.

Whoever does buy this better be an expert in couture and put their foot down. Really edit and specify/break down what parts from certain looks they want so it can look decent on them. Definitely simpler silhouettes will go far with these techniques. Whoever wears a full look from the runway is an idiot and just too try hard.

Also those fluffy gowns at the end are laughable, just thrown out there for the sake of it. I'm getting tired of this whole oversized, too much fabric and extra volume trend. Sleek tailoring wins every time.

Love it or hate it but the weirdest thing is Olivier has designed a couture collection that is FAR more original, structured, detailed, identifiable, and overall better and more luxurious than some of the designers at big houses like MCG at Dior, Pierpaolo at Valentino, and Clare at Givenchy this season.

Frankly I actually don't mind it which is surprising because I usually find his recent stuff just too Kardashian(ish) but this is actually really cool for a first HC collection from him.

I feel like a lot of the hate towards this collection actually comes from a general dislike of him as a person rather than this specific collection itself.

I feel like a lot of the hate towards this collection actually comes from a general dislike of him as a person rather than this specific collection itself.

I'm pretty sure the hate comes from the fact that this looks like a third grader's idea of a couture collection. I don't think many here dislike Olivier as a person; I don't even know what he's like as a human being, except for the fact that he's clearly got serious delusions of grandeur.

Honestly, the only thing i know about him is that he makes tacky clothes. This collection is no exception.

He needs to know Couture doesn't mean craziness. It could be expressive, extravagant and avant-garde, but not this. His RTW collection has better couture value than this.

Right! And that's my main issue with this. It's just crazy for the sake of being crazy. I will be keeping an eye out for interviews because I'd really like him to walk me through this collection.

="billiejbob, post: 30519211, member: 140385"I feel like a lot of the hate towards this collection actually comes from a general dislike of him as a person rather than this specific collection itself.

I hate him as a designer. I hate him for his love to 80s campiest stile. I hate him because he thinks what he does is totally original and cool; when the reality is he just blatantly copies from past designers. I hate he likes dressing Kim Kardashian; and the fact that he considers her a fashion icon.

As a person, I don´t know him personally to say anything. But I could hate him if he tries to dress me, that´s for sure!

^^
Balmain sells a lot of jeans, blazers and bodycon dresses with some logo pieces.

I actually love him as a person and hate his work as a designer. I’ve met him twice and he is quite shy and humble actually.

I just don’t understand how someone so skilled and talented (his earlier Balmain collection proved us how talented he can be) can design clothes that are both dated and ridiculous.
It’s a pity because when he talks, he is all about modernity, youth, sexiness.

there’s something in this utter madness that makes me very happy indeed , and I certainly prefer it to both V&R and Margiela. No po-faced slogans or fake social commentary , just mad mad Couture Extravaganza . I’m here for this !

Right! And that's my main issue with this. It's just crazy for the sake of being crazy. I will be keeping an eye out for interviews because I'd really like him to walk me through this collection.

I have seen his collection in store, the jacket is absolutely amazing.
The embroidery is amazing and well made.
When I have some hope for the collection, he gives us this.

^^
Balmain sells a lot of jeans, blazers and bodycon dresses with some logo pieces.

I actually love him as a person and hate his work as a designer. I’ve met him twice and he is quite shy and humble actually.

I just don’t understand how someone so skilled and talented (his earlier Balmain collection proved us how talented he can be) can design clothes that are both dated and ridiculous.
It’s a pity because when he talks, he is all about modernity, youth, sexiness.

Yes, his earlier Balmain collections were very good, i loved a lot of but last years he sent such a ugly stuff on the runway... and this couture seems to be a bad joke.

This ostentation of olivier is deplorable and obnoxious. I guess MGC has met her match.

^I am at this point where I rather enjoy his collection as horrible as it is than the boring commercial ones from MGC, CWK and JPG. Tackiness and bad taste is needed in fashion and more in HC as almost no one will wear it.

But Olivier is in his own bubble as balmain is really separated from the other brands such as Dior, SLP etc. In the same way, Alaia is separated from the other brands.

Its more 80s than the 80s were lol but without the fun and excitement. He really has designed himself into a corner and he needs stop with those basket weave type clothes. I liked his baroque prints when he first came to Balmain but now its so ugly and dated. Also note to fashion designers pick another decade to exploit the 80s have been done to death a million times over.

Honestly, this collection was so all over the place that he can really grow from of it. He can really do anything next season. Kind of strange how bad his taste has gotten. Makes me wonder how much of a hand he actually had in those first few seasons which were actually great.

Since the spring 2017, everything Oliver sends down the runway is just ridiculous. Not that long ago he was able to create an interesting and sexy collection with amazing details. There was a certain charm about those clothes, that luxury feel. Sadly it seems to be gone just like Rousteings taste. He suddenly became obsessed with overly embroidered victoria's secret like dresses which are both tacky and ugly. It looks like he can't keep the balance anymore. But why? Mimma made some great points during showstudio live. Balmain seems to be separated from other brands. I can't exactly write how but it feels like its not in the same league as let's say YSL or Dior which is honestly sad because Balmain maybe not as revolutionary, also played huge role in fashion.

When it comes to the collection it was a huge disappointment, a disgustingly tacky disappointment. I expected it to look like the statement pieces in his ready-to-wear or last year’s 44 François Premier. Instead, he gave us a heavily embroidered messy remix of ideas stolen from various designers. Oliver said that he sees his haute couture as bridging the Balmain of the past with today and that it’s all about bringing back Balmain to the elegance of la France. Sounds amazing but if so why I notice everyone but Pierre here. Mcqueen, Pierpaulo, Giambattista Valli - just to name few. Of course there is nothing wrong in referencing others but it's laughable how literal he is. Just look at the way he interpreted pearls. Huge orb shaped bracelets with big logo, can it get any worse? Of course, it can.I still have nightmares after seeing that testicle dress. No to mention those encrusted denim pants. Styling was also bad. It should help but sadly it made everything look even worse. Does her even use a stylist? I don't think so. Whoever is responsible for make up and hair should be fired.

Absolutely the worst HC collection of the season.

Part of me kind of likes it because it's so crazy and unrestrained, and that's something that's been missing in fashion and especially couture. But it's just so ugly; there's not one good look in the whole collection. The giant pearl shapes look like papier mache or cast cement, I feel like if you tapped them they would be very hard and rigid. I also don't think I've ever seen such blatant use of logos on couture pieces, that looks really bad. His Faberge egg collection was very couture like, he seemed to be a promising talent when he started, it's a shame this is what he's doing now

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->