Beauty Tips and Tricks From Cleo (Singapore Edition)

elysia

Reaction score
01. Coat your lashes with Vaseline on a daily basis. MTV VJ Denise Keller claims her lashes grew longer after doing that for a year.

02. Make your own skin-softening facial mask. Buy wheatgerm from any organic food store, mix a tablespoon of it with one egg, and spread the concoction on your face. Wait for about 15 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.

03. For dry lips, a mixture of Vaseline and honey applied to lips at least thrice a week prevents lips from chapping.

04. Models put haemorrhoid cream (which contains shark's liver oil and yeast found in expensive firming creams) on their faces. It shrinks tissues and reduces swelling in puffy areas like the eyes, cheeks and along jaw-lines.

05. If your face has dry, flaky patches when you wake up, scrub the area and cover it with petroleum jelly before going to sleep.

06. Use surgical tape to smooth skin while you sleep. Tape an "X" between the eyebrows, just above the nose. We often make many expressions while we sleep that can cause wrinkling and furrowing.

07. Squeeze eye drops made to reduce redness onto a cotton swab and hold it on any pimples for 10 to 15 seconds. The pimples will lose their redness.

08. Don't peel away or pick at the dry flakes on your lips. Scar tissue will form and you will end up with thicker and dryer flakes.

09. Sugar accelerates the ageing process. To curb a craving for sweet food, Elson Haas, author of The New Detox Diet, recommends upping our intake of lean animal and vegetable proteins, getting lots of fiber, and drinking eight glasses of water a day.

10. Rinse bloodshot eyes with a mild salt solution (a glass of water with two teaspoons of salt).

11. Stop using cotton pads because they drink up your toner and skincare essence. Pour these directly onto your palms and pat them on your skin immediately. This way, you can ensure your skin gets the product and can reduce the chances of getting cotton fibers trapped in your skin.

12. Unless it is stated on the bottles, store your skincare products like moisturizers and eye creams in the refrigerator to keep them from turning bad when the weather gets hotter.

13. Avoid caffeine and alcohol three hours before you sleep, and elevate your head with an extra pillow so you don't wake up with a puffy face.

14. "A lot of my clients are quite young and their skins are a little on the oily side, so glycolic acid helps a lot," says Christine Chin, an aesthetician to runway models like Naomi Campbell and Gisele Bundchen. She suggests massaging a cleanser containing glycolic acid into the face for a full minute to boost circulation before washing it off. Try Clear O2 Hydrating Exfoliating Gel which contains glycolic acid to help clear away dead skin cells and rehydrate the skin.

15. If you keep breaking out along your lip line, chances are, your lip gloss is the culprit. Choose sheer glosses instead of dark ones as these contain fewer pore-clogging pigments. To remove the bumps, swipe your lip line with a toner containing salicylic acid every time you cleanse your face.

16. Diet plays a part in beauty. Pile your dinner plate with prawns if you want to see your spots heal faster. These succulent sea treats are packed with zinc, the ultimate zit-zapping mineral. Zinc reduces inflammation and boosts your immune system to stop you from getting spots in the first place.

17. Soak a cotton pad with egg white and place it on the congested T-zone area to remove whiteheads and blackheads. Once the egg white dries, peel the cotton pad away. Do this once every two weeks or whenever your skin is clogged up.

18. Crush and add aspirin to shampoo to combat dandruff.

19. To give your hair volume, change your parting as often as possible. When blow-drying, tip your head over and blow your hair in the direction opposite to that which your hair grows.

20. Here is how James Mooney, a hairstylist who has dressed Sienna Miller and Liz Hurley's hair, gets his clients' hair super shiny and tangle-free: Squeeze the juice of two lemons into a glass, add warm water, and pour over hair after shampooing. Afterwards, comb through and rinse out.

21. To lighten hair weighed down by product build-up, add a tablespoon of baking soda to a dollop of shampoo. Mix the two in your palm and lather up. Baking soda is not only a cleanser; it also helps to close hair cuticles, leaving your locks extra shiny.

22. To do your own manicure and push back cuticles easily, soak your hands in warm water with lemon juice added. Take them out after about 8 minutes. Rub some lemon peel on your nails while you gently push back the cuticles.

23. Dry brushing your skin before a shower is a great way to stimulate the natural oil glands in your body. Use a natural bristle body brush, start at your feet, and lightly brush your skin in a circular motion. Follow this with a warm shower, then slather your body with moisturizer.

24. Boost your bust by putting smashed blackened bananas in an old bra and wearing it 5 to 10 minutes a day. The chemicals in bananas firm the skin and fight off sagginess.

25. Rub used morning coffee grounds into your problem areas. Since caffeine is the largest ingredient in expensive cellulite creams, this is an inexpensive alternative.

27. Scents are retained for a longer time on oily skin, so apply a layer of petroleum jelly onto your skin before putting on perfume.

28. Massage body-firming lotions into your problem areas before you exercise. Your blood circulates faster when you are exercising, and that means the product will be absorbed faster into your skin and made to work harder.

29. If you hate getting little bumps on your legs (like ingrown hairs), spray body oil on your skin just after a shower while your skin is still damp, then smooth it in. Voila - silky smooth skin!

30. Drink a tall glass of warm water with a dash of lemon juice squeezed into it first thing in the morning. This will boost the detoxifying ability of your liver. You should do this even before brushing your teeth as toothpaste itself adds a toxic load to your body.

31. Treat thick skin on your feet with lemon juice, a natural exfoliant. Cut a lemon in half and rub the pulp side vigorously against the heels and soles of your feet for a minute.

Sounds good, but #24 is a new one to me...think I'll skip that :shock:.

24. Boost your bust by putting smashed blackened bananas in an old bra and wearing it 5 to 10 minutes a day. The chemicals in bananas firm the skin and fight off sagginess.

what the f? :o

elysia said:
17. Soak a cotton pad with egg white and place it on the congested T-zone area to remove whiteheads and blackheads. Once the egg white dries, peel the cotton pad away. Do this once every two weeks or whenever your skin is clogged up.

Does this work?? i have a lot of little pimples between my eyebrows,they never go they just seem to come up then go down,whiteheads pop up now and then 2.and i have alot of blackheads on my nose.

WIll this make my face brake out??? i wud wanna try it 2nite but ive got skool tomora so i dont wanna if my face will just luk a mess in the morning

^ Different things work for different people, but as its 100% natural, I wouldn't assume you'd break out. Give it a go though, it may just well work :flower:

where it says for no.17 use a cotton pad,cud u use cotton wool?? or wud that just get stuck to you :|

that what i was thinking too!!!! I use cotton wool and cotton pads...i tryed to hand ting last night and wasted ALOT!!!! i think i'll stick with the cotton

great tips! thanks for posting!

I have to admit...the banana bra made me laugh a little.

cloud9 said:

what the f? :o

I could imagine doing that and having a bunch of monkeys escape from the zoo and attack me. :(

I dont think #20 is right because lemons are an acid so that would just burn ur hair this is coming from the advice of 2 doctors who are my parents

frenchkisses said:
I dont think #20 is right because lemons are an acid so that would just burn ur hair this is coming from the advice of 2 doctors who are my parents
Well, bleach also burns hair....

Has anyone tried the Vaseline on the eyelashes tip? I tried it tonight; I applied some with a Q-tip from the top and bottom side of the lashes. Hopefully I won't go blind. :-P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->