Billy Mays Dead at 50

Trista

Reaction score
Now this is one that may be more obscure for some of you, but to me, this is more tragic about just how sudden it is. He's leaving behind a young daughter which makes this even more sad.

from Yahoo News

TAMPA, Fla. – Tampa police say Billy Mays, the television pitchman known for his boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean, has died. He was 50.

Authorities say Mays was pronounced dead Sunday morning after being found by his wife at home. There were no signs of a break-in, and investigators do not suspect foul play. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.

Mays' wife, Deborah Mays, says the family doesn't expect to make any public statements and asked for privacy.

Mays was also featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which followed Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs.

Discovery Channel spokeswoman Elizabeth Hillman released a statement Sunday extending sympathy to the Mays family.

"Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth," Hillman's statement said. "Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal and compassionate friend."
I'm going to miss him yelling at me to buy OxiClean and Orange Glo, among other things. I had a genuine respect for the guy, however annoying he could get at times.

wow! I just saw him on Pitchmen? I think that's what it's called..very sad
50 I'm sure sounds old to most of the posters here but I'm 50 and I can tell you it's way to young to die.
I'm very sad about all the recent deaths

RIP :(
Best wishes to his family, I hope they can get through this terrible time
This is such an awful week :(

AWWWWWWW!
This is such a tragic week!!!

I mean, first McMahon, then Farrah, Michael and now Billy!
:cry:

May he rest in peace.

I don't know him, but It's always sad to hear this news :(
R.I.P

THE INFOMERCIAL GUY?!?! WTF is going on?!?

I didn't think there would be another celebrity death for a while after Michael. It's weird that they both died at 50.

This month just needs to end already.

Yep, he could sell an icebox to an Eskimo, he could sell the lines in a parking lot to a parking lot striper. Yesterday he was apparently on a flight that had a very rough landing after its front tires blew out, and there was some stuff that fell on his head. They also said that he didn't feel well before he went to bed...it could be coincidence but I sure hope it's not another Natasha Richardson situation.

^^Yes, he was on a flight to Tampa last night (US Air I think?) and the nosegear collapsed on landing...the luggage in the bins came out I believe and hit him on the head. I had heard that he went to the hospital last night but was released and then dead this morning. How terrible though. Life really can end very suddenly.

^^Yes, he was on a flight to Tampa last night (US Air I think?) and the nosegear collapsed on landing...the luggage in the bins came out I believe and hit him on the head. I had heard that he went to the hospital last night but was released and then dead this morning. How terrible though. Life really can end very suddenly.
How strange and unfortunate; the weirdest things can happen... I was recently on a flight where a woman in a nearby seat insisted she could portend this happening (nose gear collapse); obviously it had nothing to do with Billy Mays as this preceded his tragic accident. And it didn't happen, of course. But I remember thinking she was being ridiculous; things like that happen so infrequently... :ninja:

He will always be my favorite commercial guy. :(

Damn it. And to think that I always made fun of him. Cannot speak ill of the dead any longer. -_-

yeah i thought he was pretty obnoxious myself but wow,it's really strange how the people you see everyday on television suddenly are gone. i wonder what they'll do with his adverts?

Sorry to spread rumors everyone! The news today is saying it didn't look like he had any kind of head injury from the flight's landing and that it was probably a heart attack; some unknown condition or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->