Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by longlegsue, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Browneyes

Browneyes New Member

2. Hanne

Hanne Storm & Sommer

My husbands hates them - according to him I smell like a far eastern whorehouse when I wear them :ninja:

3. Orchide

Orchide Been things & seen places

^ :lol: well, at least you can gift them or sell them on ebay since so many want them Hanne.
    For anyone local to the LA area, the next in-lab "will call" for the full moon will be this coming Monday- I am awaiting the announcement- anyday now to list what will be available and when I need to email my pick-up order by :shifty:
    I have been wearing Gypsy Queen lately :woot: love love love it...it was a limited from the Carnivale Noir series...
    here is the description:
    A heavy-lidded perfume, the quintessence of beauty and power shrouded in mystery, swathed in a deep, velvet-clad cloak of dark omens: Romany incense and candle smoke mingling with an alluring, body-warmed whiff of bergamot, neroli, Bulgar rose, carnation, and amber musk.
    this is such a lovely candle- softened rose oil...wonderful and of course I can get no more when I finish this bottle...*sigh*...this is the way of the limiteds...if you grow to love it, it isn't available anymore by that time but then, they always have something even newer :heart:

4. aquamarine

aquamarine New Member

I got Old Morocco some time ago and I love it! So seems to do everyone around me, even my mum :blush:

I hope the 5ml bottle of Beaver Moon I got from ebay will arrive today... I'm excited :woot:

5. _Angelica

_Angelica New Member

I have the Wrath one from the 7 deadly sins collection they have. That's my favorite scent ever. It's pretty much the only one I wear.

6. drusilla

drusilla New Member

BPAL is 99% the only perfume I actually wear anymore. No bug spray-like alcohol and you're guaranteed to not smell like any other girl walking down the street. There's something for everyone and a lot of something at that...which also makes it horribly addictive. I've been a loyal fan since October 2004 :smile:

Some of my favorites:
    Midway (my warm weather staple! Too bad it's a Limited Edition.)
    Snake Oil
    Velvet
    Perversion
    Kali
    Spooky
    Snow White
    Rose Red
    Sugar Skull
    Red Lantern
    Red Phoenix
    Peitho
    Dorian
    Lick It
    Bliss
    Monster Bait: Underbed
    Monster Bait: Underpants
    Three Witches
    Miskatonic University
    Wanda
    Bordello
    Tarot: The Star
    Hollywood Babylon

I could go on a lot longer, but I'll stop now :ninja: I just ordered over half of the scents from Carnaval Diabolique--I hope they're as delicious as they sound.

#106 drusilla, Aug 23, 2006
    Last edited by moderator Lena: Oct 20, 2006
  7. Orchide

Oh hello Drusilla :woot:
    we seem like kindred scent sisters :P
    Alot of what you listed are my favorites too.
    I wear MonsterBait: Underbed & Closet and always get good comments.
    Miskatonic U. & Chaste Moon are two that are really special to me.
    What else?
    Hexannacht
    Snake Oil
    Smut
    Snake Charmer
    Gypsy Queen
    Peacock Rose
    Snow White
    Pink Phoenix
    Lick It
    Alice
    Sacred wh*re of Babylon
    French Creole
    Dorian
    Spooky
    Shub-Niggurath
    just some of my faves...:innocent:
    I want all the new Carnivale Noir ones too.

8. drusilla

drusilla New Member

Oooh, Orchide, a lot of the ones you listed are some of my other favorites that didn't make it onto the list. :flower: The only one that REALLY didn't work on me was Smut :cry: I had my heart set on it, too! It just smelled sweaty and dirty, and not in the sexy way. I'm also glad to see another Hexennacht fan--it blows all of the other 'foresty' BPAL scents out of the water, IMO.

9. Orchide

Hexannacht is one that I hoard :(
    I was hoping she would release it again this past May but she didn't.
    Whenever I wear it, I get asked throughout the night what it is and told I smell great.
    I have about 1/3 of the bottle left...*eeps*.
    I love the skin musk underneath the smoky woods- its really different but so real and natural.

10. ragtag

ragtag leave me with your Borneo

i was wondering if any of you black phoenix wearers have placed any orders lately? i only ask because i'm really interested in one of their new limited edition Carnaval Diabolique scents - Midnight on the Midway. the description from their site:

MIDNIGHT ON THE MIDWAY
    Lightning splits the sky, illuminating the skeletal skyline of the carnival rides: sugared incense and night-blooming flowers.

it supposed to be dark and incensey, with some ozone, flowers, and cotton candy. i've never worn any black phoneix scents though, so i wondered if anyone had tried this one.

11. Orchide

Ragtag, I haven't tried it or any from that series yet...hopefully, this month, I will be able to order that whole series plus the Dracula inspired one :woot:

12. Orchide

ps- this is really cool- looks like Margaret Cho is a BPAL fanatic :kiss:
    from her blog:
    http://www.margaretcho.com/blog/blog.htm

13. ragtag

ooh, i hadn't heard about the dracula series.... sounds very intriguing! i'll have to look at those too. with their nice prices it probably makes sense to order a few scents at a time. do the oils last quite awhile on you? i've never tried any of the black phoenix scents.

14. ragtag

wow, that is quite an endorsement! i love scents that jog my memory or that make me feel something, so black phoenix sounds like it would be perfect. ^_^

15. ragtag

i'm about to place an order, and was wondering if any of you had tried any of these scents. i'll probably be getting:

5ml bottles of:
    the pool of tears
    coyote
    midnight on the midway

and samples of:
    sea of glass
    whip
    two, five and seven
    dove's heart
    black forest
    anne bonny

i was also wondering if anyone had recommendations for someone who likes both dark, smoky, outdoor-type scents, and soft white floral or rose scents - i'm not totally decided on my pick of imps. i also really love the idea of 'night' type scents.

thanks, guys! ^_^

16. Hanne

Hanne Storm & Sommer

*revisiting this thread*..I had to give most of my imps to my sister, she is a perfume addict, and she liked the whole BPAL idea a lot tho' she isn't converted.
    Wearing Dorian today...since my husband won't be home untill very late.. so I won't have to hear him complain.. :P

I don't think I ever got around to trying Dorian before.. me likey..
    The only other imp that was a hit was Machu Picchu "Sweet tropical fruits burst through deep, wet rainforest boughs, enormous steamy blossoms, over thin mountaintop breezes, mingled with the soft, rich golden scent of Peruvian amber."

17. Orchide

Those are all really good ones you have picked!
    These are pure non synthetic perfume oils so they are different from commercial oils. A little goes a long way.
    You can only get samples of regular catalog items so I would suggest Hamadryad for woodsy nighttime and also you should try using their search engine on their site and type in rose or tuberose or jasmine, etc. and see what comes up:flower:
    Others I think you would like are Morocco, Seraglio, Midnight, Whip, Harlot, Perversion to name a few.
    I went to their will-call Halloween party for the full moon the other night and it was "come dressed as your favorite oil" themed :woot:
    I came as "Sacred wh*re of Babylon":innocent:
    It was so much fun...got to smell all the Yule preview oils and picked up a bottle of the limited lunar full moon- Kindly Moon-Utterly ethereal, an exquisite expression of love: moonflower, lotus root, white gardenia, beeswax, peach blossom, blue musk, stargazer lily, golden osmanthus, ti, sandalwood, hyacinth, ylang ylang, and a touch of vanilla bean.

and also got a few of the Carnival Diabolus ones- Madame Moriarty the Misfortune Teller
    & Theodosius the Legerdemain. MM is similar to Snake Charmer and Snake Oil to me with patchouli and smokiness in there- very sexy :wub: and Theodosius is an Earl Grey tea scent with jasmine and fougere- like a sexier Dorian basically :brows:

I got two of the Order of the Dragon (Dracula inspired limiteds:(
    Wilhelmina Murray:
    Tea rose, white sandalwood and a flurry of pale, virginal blossoms, smeared with a smoky, blood-soiled blend of myrrh, hyacinth, Daemonorops resin, dark musk and blackcurrant.

Brides of Dracula:
    Unquenchable desire, seething lust, malevolent sexuality, and voracious hunger lurking beneath a shimmering veil of unearthly beauty: gleaming skin musk, honey and white amber, plum blossom, osmanthus, sandalwood, calla lily, and a light, sensual blend of Eastern spices.

ps- glad to hear while the cat's away, the mice are playing Hanne :lol:

#117 Orchide, Oct 9, 2006
    Last edited by moderator : Oct 9, 2006
  18. ragtag

Orchide, thanks for the feedback and recommendations! :flower: i will definitely check out hamadryad - and whip and midnight were scents that i had thought about getting samples of, so i'll try those too. ^_^ kindly moon sounds really gorgeous!, and the dracula oils sound beautiful as well.

the full moon halloween party sounds like so much fun... glad you were able to go!

19. Hye Park Lover

Hye Park Lover New Member

Hey,
    I've just gotten into these intriguing scents. How can you tell if they're male or female scents, or are they unisex?

20. longlegsue

longlegsue New Member

Times like this I really wished I lived in the LA area. . . :doh:
    I'm def going to have to get over my internet shopping hangup because I have been lusting over these scents for quite some time!