Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

longlegsue said:
Times like this I really wished I lived in the LA area. . . :doh:
I'm def going to have to get over my internet shopping hangup because I have been lusting over these scents for quite some time!

Haha! I feel exactly the same way! :doh: I've decided now that I'm going to order a set (or 2 :innocent:) of imps... enough is enough... can't keep waiting until forever, even though the internet shopping kind of "scares" me still.

I think I'm going to get imps of:
Snake Oil
Queen
Nephilim
Dorian
Eden
Harlot

but there are many others that I'd love to try... Seraglio, Alice and O sound great too!

Are these good choices, oh experts? (I'll order next week)

Browneyes, I absolutely ADORE Snake Oil, Dorian, and Eden. I'm not sure about the rest, but if you like sweet, slightly-foody-but-not-actually-foody scents, those are perfect.

Hye Park Lover said:
Hey,
I've just gotten into these intriguing scents. How can you tell if they're male or female scents, or are they unisex?

All of them are technically unisex, but you can judge by the notes and reviews, mainly. Some notes automatically strike people as "manly" like pine. They have a list in their FAQ I think of their scents that they recommend for men, but like I said, you can wear most of them without smelling like you wandered into the cologne aisle. That's what's so great about the Lab--it's all unique and the fragrances adapt differently to everyone's skin.

Browneyes said:
Haha! I feel exactly the same way! :doh: I've decided now that I'm going to order a set (or 2 :innocent:) of imps... enough is enough... can't keep waiting until forever, even though the internet shopping kind of "scares" me still.

I think I'm going to get imps of:
Snake Oil
Queen
Nephilim
Dorian
Eden
Harlot

but there are many others that I'd love to try... Seraglio, Alice and O sound great too!

Are these good choices, oh experts? (I'll order next week)

I love Snake Oil, Dorian, Harlot, Seraglio, Alice, & O so you did good :lol:
Hye, what "sex" they are, is dependent on what works for you personally :wink:
I tend to wear the "masculine" but lighter ones and love those.
They morph on your skin and change so its all dependent on your skin chemistry.

I love masculine scents also, but often I've been told by people that I smell like a man :ermm: But I don't mind, like it or beat it :lol:

From the extensive list of recommendations, I think I might try imps of:
O
Dorian
Dracul

Please could everyone give me some more recommendations of sexy/deep/provocative or at least not too femininine scents?

after reading this thread and some of the reviews on bpal.org, i think i'm going to go with the 3 full-size bottles, and 2 sets of imps. :innocent: everything sounds so good, and it probably makes sense to try many of them.

i'm sad that hexannacht was limited edition because it sounds amazing and perfect for me. :doh: oh well.

well, i finally placed my order, and i kind of went all out with it! i figured with the turnaround time it made sense to order everything i was interested in. ^_^

5ml:
samhain 2006
coyote
midnight on the midway

imps:
Sea of Glass
Two, Five and Seven
Dove's Heart
Black Forest
Anne Bonny
The Pool of Tears
Hamadryad
O
Nocnitsa
Dream Formula V: Somnus
Morocco
Midnight

i generally love perfume oils, and it's been awhile since i bought any new perfume, so i doubt much will go to waste. it'll take me quite awhile to try all of these! i'm super excited about samhain, as it's starting to feel like fall and this seems perfect for the moment. after reading the reviews of it, dream formula v:somnus also seems promising for helping with sleep. even if it's a placebo effect, i need all the help i can get! :doh:

I use the dream oils- they really work :wub: my favorites are Somnus, Oneiroi.
You will love Anne Bonny I think :smile:

Orchide, do you like your Kindly Moon? i just bought a bottle of it on Ebay. i love gardenia and it sounded so unlike any of the perfumes i have now.

i'm glad to hear that Somnus works, and i hope it works as well on me. i would love to be able to dab on something nice-smelling instead of either tossing and turning or taking some sleep aid. ^_^

I'm wearing Creepy today. I just can't get over how it actually smells like a crisp caramel apple instead of the usual manufactured food type scents from Bath & Body Works and the like. Wonderful! :heart:

Kindly Moon actually is not the best on me but its good on other people I think.
I want to try Creepy now :woot:
I have been wearing Jazz Funeral alot lately.

^^oooh, that description makes me want a bottle of creepy too. this time of year, i'm obsessed with caramel apple lollipops, caramel apples, and apple cider. creepy sounds delicious...

i recieved my kindly moon, and i really like it, but it just doesn't 'feel' like this time of year (but i'm really impressed by the potency of BPAL's scents. i'm used to eau de toilette or more diluted oils). seems like a perfume that would be appropriate for spring/summer. now, cozy scents just feel right.

Finally...

After much deliberation as to which ones I should get, I am placing my order :woot:

5 ml:
Dorian
Eden
Harlot

Imps:
Dracul
Dragon's Blood
Embalming Fluid
Miskatonic University
Scherezade
Snake Oil

I can't wait already! :buzz: :bounce:
Thanks drusilla and Orchide, for your comments :kiss:

In the last minute I changed the Embalming Fluid imp to Yggdrasil instead. Darn indecisiveness...

well, i recieved my order.... all of the oils i've tried so far are great! i got everything i listed above, plus probably 10 or so frimps. very generous. ^_^ they also gave me a few small stickers, a bumper sticker, and a couple of the carnaval diabolique cards.

midnight on the midway is my favorite so far :wub: ... it's floral but the sugared incense gives it an edge. IMO it's super wearable, but still very unique. it reminds me of viktor and rolf's flowerbomb (which i loved my sample of but just couldn't pay $95 for), only less 'commercial perfume' ish. i love the florals combined with the sweet smokiness.
i'm wearing samhain right now, it feels very appropriate for today! it's spicy, woody and smoky, with some apple peeking through. definitely a more seasonal scent but beautiful nonetheless. fall scent-wise, i'm definitely going to track down at least an imp of creepy because it sounds delicious. i completely missed it when i placed my order.

and i suppose it could be a fluke but somnus really mellowed me out last night, and i slept very deeply. the smell is sharp but after a couple of minutes it calms down and is lovely. i really hope it continues to work. they gave me a frimp of oneroi so that will be one to try as well.

i'm already planning another order. :innocent: BPAL's scents are so concentrated (i think i would really have to work at going through a whole 5ml... and after having left my imps sitting out, my whole bedroom smells of BPAL) and at under $20 apiece i think they're pretty collectible. i feel a bit of an addiction coming on. ^_^

yay :clap:
sounds good Ragtag!
Brown Eyes, good choices, all:wink:
This sunday is the will-call for the next full moon. I don't know if I can afford it as the last one wiped me out...I shall see...:innocent:

I've been following their products for over two years now and I love them so much. I managed to get a bottle of their limited edition oil Snow White and it's just so lovely!

i just bought a bottle of creepy on ebay - i hope it is as convincing a caramel apple scent on me as it is on others. i'd like to get devil's night as well.... i'll wait for my next order for that. i need to get a 5ml of somnus! and i'm thinking of stardust 2006 as well. :innocent:

i've completely fallen in love with morocco... it's not as edgy as some of BPAL's oils but it just feels so natural and perfect for me. it's everything that i liked about dior addict and none of what i didn't.... :blush:

Gah.. I'm still waiting for my order. :unsure: It was shipped on the 17th Nov. so hopefully it'll arrive soon.
In the meantime I'm using Habanita by Molinard (traditional perfumer from Grasse), which I find really reallly lovely. I only have a small 5 ml bottle of it (and I think it's only a EDT) so I'm trying to not use it all up too quickly. I've had it since I went to Grasse years ago on a short trip, and I remember thinking it was way too strong, so I never used it before, but now I think it's great. Maybe I just grew up in the meantime, because it is a pretty grown up scent, or maybe it mellowed a bit with time, I dunno. :D Visiting the perfume factory of Molinard was very interesting, so I can only imagine how much fun it must have been for Orchide to help mixing the oils at BPAL (I think you wrote about that some time ago?)
I was just looking on BPAL's website to see if they make any oil that resembles Habanita in terms of notes, because that could be fun to try if I decide to order more after my first order comes. But so far I haven't found one that has all (or almost all) of the same notes.
The notes are:
Base: Musk, Amber, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Patchouli and Mosse de chêne (whatever that is :huh: )
Middle: Héliotrope, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Noix de muscade (I think that's Nutmeg), Rose centifolia, Vetiver, Cedar
Top: Galbanum, Lentisque, Petitgrain (these I actually don't know at all, and so I can't translate them... which also makes it hard to find out if one of the BPAL oils has them)
If anyone knows anything that could aid me in my quest I'd really appreciate it. In any case I can really recommend Habanita for anyone who likes a warm and heady fragrance :wub:

http://www.molinard-boutique.com/molinard/index.php?change_langue=1&menu=boo_rubrique&langue_en_cours_new=Ang&rubrique249=1&rubriqueserv=249

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently (and finally) got my first order!! :D And so far, I find that everything smells unique and pretty amazing. I'm so happy I stumbled across this thread here on tFS. (It was the unusual name that caught my attention.)
Dorian is taking the top position thus far... I just can't get over how good it smells. It actually distracts me when I'm trying to work :blush:
I've joined the bpal forum too, with the same name.
And... I'm also greedily planning my next order already. I think I might get Lick It Again, Darkling Thrush and 2 sets of imps. But I'm waiting until the next update, yep I think I'm starting to understand this game :wink:
Happy New Year, all you lovely scented ppl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew637
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->