Blackheads

i have a blackhead problem and i had almost given up on trying to treat it...and then i found this thread

thanku!

ooohh.. i was afraid of this.... nobody responding in the thread for a long time... but well i have hopes to have an answer!

ive had blackheads for a looooong time,,, ive never been extremely worried b/c i wear makeup and some times they dont look that much.. but i do have A LOT, in the nose.... if ive waited such a long time to do something to really end them, would it be harder or imposible????

please help!!!!
by the way... great tips earlier on the thread.. im starting tomorrow

I hate those strips. They make my eyes water when I remove the strip.

I hate blackheads, pimples or any ugly skin problem. I envy people with perfect skin.

Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA) is great for clogged pores/blackheads. Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) is for surface exfolation of dead skin cells. Some good BHA products are Trish McEvoy's BHA pads, Paula's Choice 2% or 1% (which gets alot of raves), and Vichy's Normaderm 4% (from canada). There are also a number of AHA products including Alpha Hydrox 12% souffle and second the Aqua Glycolic products, which are great. So used together, it can really improve your skin as long as you start off slow and let your skin get used to it (in case you're sensitive). There's an excerpt from an article that may be helpful:

Because AHAs and BHA work through chemical processes, they can penetrate the skin and produce better results than cosmetic scrubs, which work only on the exposed surface of the skin. And, there is no risk that AHAs and BHA will cause you to lose too much skin. Technically, there is a drop-off rate, meaning the AHA and BHA will exfoliate just the dead or damaged surface skin and leave the healthy skin alone. This is the main reason why you will see a drop-off in performance when using an AHA or BHA product. The dramatic results in the beginning of usage (when the thickened, discolored layers of skin are being removed) seem much more impressive than the results from continued use. This is to be expected, and it is important to note that continued use of an AHA or BHA product is required in order to maintain skin’s smooth, even-toned, healthy appearance.

The primary difference between AHAs and BHA is that AHAs are water-soluble, while BHA is lipid-(oil) soluble. This unique property of BHA allows it to penetrate the oil in the pores and exfoliate accumulated skin cells inside the oil gland that can clog pores. BHA is best used where blackheads and blemishes are the issue, and AHAs are best for sun-damaged, thickened, dry skin where breakouts are not a problem (Source: Global Cosmetic Industry, November 2000, pages 56–57).

In a couple of weeks, it also cleared up some stubborn teeny bumps on my forehead that I thought would last forever after trying other treatments.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister used to have a lot of blackheads on her nose, now since she has been using the Anti-Blackhead product of Neutrogena,there is no blackhead on her nose anymore ! It's amazing, now I'm using it too and it works well for me, the blackheads getting less, I'm so happy with that product.

hey surferchick thats very interesting info! thanks!!
where can i get a "Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA)" product? or some examples????

fashionistangeL said:

I personally like the Trish Mcevoy pads, but it's kind of expensive so I use those sparingly. Another one that people really like it Paula's Choice (cosmeticcop.com) since it's somewhat of her signature product. I *think* they will send samples without an order, but not positive. But, they have a great return policy, so if it doesn't work, you can send it back. It's good to talk to them and let them know what kind of skin you have to get a recommendation. It not only comes in the two concentrations, but also textures (gel, liquid, cream). Since the cream can be a bit emollient, the gel or liquid is the most popular. I personally prefer the gel but it can feel sticky to some, so they swear by the liquid. You may have some purging with any BHA/AHA product, so don't be alarmed if you get some tiny breakouts (that subside) or flaking in the first couple of weeks. It's not near as bad as retinoids though and many don't even experience this period.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. thanks! but i dont live in the us... im from mexico.. soo.. do you know maybe where i can find those?? cause its kind of complicated ordering by internet, i mean my brother lives in washington but its kind of far so,,, i frequently go to mcallen and im going to orlando in 2 weeks.. im thinking departmental stores? like dillards? or is it just by internet ordering?

Fruchtzwerg said:
My sister used to have a lot of blackheads on her nose, now since she has been using the Anti-Blackhead product of Neutrogena,there is no blackhead on her nose anymore ! It's amazing, now I'm using it too and it works well for me, the blackheads getting less, I'm so happy with that product.

What product is this? A face cleanser? A Toner? What exactly?

fashionistangeL said:
wow. thanks! but i dont live in the us... im from mexico.. soo.. do you know maybe where i can find those?? cause its kind of complicated ordering by internet, i mean my brother lives in washington but its kind of far so,,, i frequently go to mcallen and im going to orlando in 2 weeks.. im thinking departmental stores? like dillards? or is it just by internet ordering?

Unfortunately, Paula's Choice products are not in retail stores and are on-line only. I'm not too far from their office and I can't even pick up when I order. She does international shipping (not sure if all countries though), but it's soooo expensive. Can you order and have it shipped to one of your destinations within the US? That would be the best option if it's possible. If you'd like to try Trish McEvoy's it's pretty much at any high end department stores (possibly dillards) . I know they're at Nordstom, Neiman Marcus and I think Saks. The only thing is, her products are overpriced IMO. If price isn't an issue, it's a great product.

thanks A LOT!!! suferchick2.. i really appreciate all your help.... if i dont find the Trish McEvoy's this time i'm going to the US... i'll ask my brother to order the paulas choice products.... i just hope to see him soon! :innocent:

thanks again! ill send some karmaaa:flower:

lemeray said:
I hate those strips. They make my eyes water when I remove the strip.

I hate blackheads, pimples or any ugly skin problem. I envy people with perfect skin.
^^weird..they don't hurt me at all lol..its so gross looking at what comes out on the strips though! ew :yuk:

Those strips make my eyes water, too and they never got rid of my black heads, either- just made my nose dry and red. Such a shame!

fashionistangeL said:
i bet most of us are using BHAs without even knowing. Any product that has salicylic acid in it is a BHA, so dont waste money buying expensive stuff when you can just go to your drugstore and get any cleanser with 2% salicylic acid (not anything stronger or your face will peel off).
Hope that helped you guys find your products more easily.

Question about Pimples?

Well yesterday, i tried taking out my black heads and my nose is still red with like red spots,what can i do to make it go away or hide it??

Thanxs=]

I'd start off by applying a benzoyl peroxide topical cream. It works as both a treatment for pimples as well as a preventative aid, so the area doen't get as inflamed. Then, DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE. That is the HARDEST rule to follow, but it makes a difference, especially if you're skins sensitive at the moment. Make sure you wash the area well with a gentle cleanser, so you don't get any transient bacteria in the area...which willl make things much worse. Hope that helps!

Usually it's red when blackheads have just been extracted.... I have no idea why your nose would red a day later.... Were you able to extract the blackheads? Is it red because there are newly formed pimples?

I have a problem with blackheads; I have had them for a very long time. Quite a few on my nose and one or two near my eyebrows and on my chin that come and go. The ones on my nose bother me the most because close up they are very noticeable whereas the others aren't and as I said; they come and go.

I have tried everything to get rid of them... I have tried removing them, steaming my face, face masks, pore strips, facewashes with salicylic acid, facial scrubs, some cream with 10% benzoyl peroxide, pore cleansing liquids and gels and someone suggested surgical spirits.

Then I read that the cause of blackheads is oily skin and it is best to deal with this problem beforehand and then the blackheads will clear up themselves. I have mega oily skin and it might be true that it will make me look youthful and less wrinkly when I am old, but I don't like looking like a family of slugs has been crawling all over my face... Anyway... once again, I've tried everything; drinking more water (I can't even drink 8 glasses a day or I am peeing like a racehorse all the time), eating more fruits and vegetables, exercising, oil-absorbing powders (which only made me get pimples, too), oil-preventing facewashes, face masks, oil-absorbing moisturisers, tissues, wipes and someone even recommended using laxative (which worked on the oil, but not for long and left white bits on my face).

So, I have about given up on getting rid of oil and blackheads.

Wow, a lot of your problems sound like mine... and I'm Eurasian too. That's so sad! I never thought I had oily skin but some doctor told me I did... I have the most dry, easily irritated skin at my temples and other places on the face so I guess I have combo skin.

I always wondered if the sweat/oils from wearing glasses all the time contributed to my blackheads....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snork
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->