Bloomingdales/Neiman Marcus/Saks Executive Development Programs

heyitsme

Reaction score
I've searched other threads and I've also asked a bunch of times in other threads, but so far no response. Hoping maybe a topic may catch people's attention.

Has anyone done any of these companies programs? I would LOVE to get into any of them. I've applied to Neiman Marcus and passed their online testing, but never got a call from them. I just recently applied to Bloomingdales and Saks isn't offering it right now. I think I have pretty good qualifications, but since Neiman never called, I'm not sure what I may be missing.

These programs are extremely competitive. Just make sure your resume is polished!!!

Do you have personal experience with these programs? Im just trying to find out what exactly they are looking for. In my opinion my resume looks awesome. Well organized/polished. I have a bachelors degree, corporate work experience with a lot of leadership and I even have an internship on there that I did with a top pr firm in West Hollywood where I was directly involved in a lot of fashion stuff.

Well isn't that interesting... two weeks ago I was looking at the same thing as you, same companies management development etc... Have you gone to their sites?

Their websites does have information. I went to the Bloomingdales site they only have in store stuff if I remember. Besides them, many of these companies have their qualifications on their websites. What are the additional qualifications? I have no idea, but thanks for asking this question because I am interested as well. I would really like to know.

Urghhh... I wonder if anyone has ever been a part of this and if so could they tell us their experience, what does it consist of and what happens after the program?

Thanks

Yeah, the qualifications on the websites are always so vague though. "Analytical skills." "Able to work under pressure." "Leadership abilities," etc. etc. Anyone can have those.

I would be curious to talk to those who have actually made it through the program(s), or at least to an interview....to find out what they had on their resumes and such.

I was in the NM EDP program. I really can't say what HR looks for, since all of us had very different backgrounds. They hire about 25 people per class, one in February, one in June and one in September.

I came into the program without any merchandising experience, just a very strong academic record and degree from a top university, as well as retail experience. Others had their MBA's (one was from Harvard), and few interned at NM before they got hired. I think a sure way to get considered for the program is to work in one of their stores. A friend of mine worked at the Michigan Avenue store and was called in for interviews, but ultimately she was not accepted.

You should know however, that NM expects their assistant buyers to become department managers, and work at one of the stores for two years before they are able to be promoted to planner. You should be certain that you don't mind essentially getting "demoted" to the sales floor. Only after you have exhibited competence as a department manager can you be considered to be promoted back to the corporate offices in Dallas.

All I can say is, the program is extremely competitive, so good luck. They receive thousands and thousands of applicants, and ultimately only choose 75 of them per year. It is a good experience however, and I am still close to the buyers I worked with. If you really are determined to work for NM, I would suggest that you look into interning at one of the stores.

As for the Bloomingdale's program, my friend got hired in the June class and loves it. She also had an extremely strong academic record, honors, business fraternity, etc. She graduated from one of the top universities in the US. If you are still in school, try to find out when Bloomingdale's is recruiting on campuses, and go there and give them your resume.

Congrats that you and your friend were chosen for management training programs. But its obvious these programs are extremely competitive, if they chose you and your friend out of thousands of applicants then its very possible for others to get into the programs as well.

On the flip side...
I have a strong academic background but I did not graduate from a top college. Does that lower my chances as a canditate? Does it make me any less to them? If it does then I would say they aren't good enough for me. Not everyone wants to or can afford to go to a top college. Yes there are scholarships but not everyone gets full scholarships or whatever either. Does that make someone less brighter or incapable compared to a top University Graduate? Absolutely NOT. Not in a Trillion years. But if that means that people who haven't graduated from top universities don't have a chance, then I would say something is wrong with these companies. Very wrong. That being said, I am still looking at my options. I want to get into a company that can give me the experience I need to take me to the next step. My main goal is to work for myself and not anyone else anyway. Where my goals are leading... I want to start at a place that matches my goals or almost anyway. I know many companies are like that too, thats the sad part.

Fashiongirl1---it seems as though you took my reply to be solely about schools/top universities. I was trying to answer your question about what the programs look for, and what happens after. I mentioned that many of us had different backgrounds at NM and so I did not know what specifically they look for; I did not say that one could not get selected because she did not graduate from a top school, but let's be honest, I'm sure that factor helps, not hurts. I also touched on what happens after the program, which is the department manager role in a store of your choice. I also mentioned that quite a few of the participants worked at Neiman Marcus prior to getting into the program, which means that there is a lot of internal recruiting going on. Perhaps I misunderstood your question, but I was merely trying to be helpful.

I will however, give a few more words of advice. Try to make your resume as well-rounded as possible. If you have leadership experience on your resume, that seems to be looked upon highly. A few participants were also in sororities, where they had led activities, etc, etc. so I don't think you needed to have a led a team of 5000 on genetic cell research.

I hope someone else can find my reply helpful since it appears that you did not. If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
harlen - thanks so much for your response! I guess fashiongirl didn't find it helpful and possibly took it the wrong way, but I very much appreciated it. Good insight.

I have all those things you mentioned - graduated from a top university (within the top 30 in the nation), got 2 degrees (psychology, business), I had a lot of leadership experience in college, I was in a sorority, etc. etc. Then after college I worked in the "corporate" world in that of finance and marketing where I also held a lot of leadership roles. In addition, I also worked/interned for a top entertainment PR firm in west hollywood where I worked directly with fashion.

Why haven't they chosen me?!!? Who do I have to sleep with?? lol jk. Oh well, cross your fingers for me! I've just recently applied to some more....

heyitsme-Do you mind if I ask where you are located? If you are still West Hollywood, you should really try to go to the recruiting event at UCLA in person. Another girl who was hired at the same time as me attended CSU Long Beach, but went over to the recruiting event at UCLA and ended up scoring the interview and getting hired. Neiman Marcus will probably be scouting around October for their February class. My friend who works at Bloomingdale's says that recruiting for their February class has already started. Go on the websites and try to find out what the campus tour schedules are, and if you can't figure it out try calling the corporate HR offices. It's always an advantage to meet someone in person than to submit your resume online...GOOD LUCK and keep trying!!

Good thread, and I'm going to the recruiting event at UCLA since I go to school there. I want just an aesthetician position at NM, and once I leave L.A. when I'm done with school I'd plan on moving back to Seattle area where they're opening a new NM in FW 09.
To get my name on a list, or to send a resume their way, I contact Dallas I've been told...any ATTN:__________(Specific department...HR?)
I really want to work at this new Neiman's.
:huh:

harlen -

It's so funny that you mention that because I was really considering going to that, but I wasn't sure if you had to be a student at UCLA or not. Also, I didn't know if they would pretty much laugh in my face since I've already applied online and obviously didn't get chosen. I think I'll definitely attend now, though! And you were right about it being in October, it starts on October 14th, with interviews being October 31st.

heyitsme-Don't be afraid or embarrassed! Just GO! Make sure your resume is polished (take a few copies!), and wear something fashionable and professional. Don't forget to smile, be yourself, and be confident. Let them know that you've applied before and that you were so determined to get into the program that you came in person...that is NOTHING to be embarrassed about. If LaTonya is there, don't be intimidated if she seems stand-offish...she is actually very nice and funny. As for the Bloomingdale's recruiters, I believe Jerry will be going around the campuses, and he is an absolute doll from what my friend tells me, and from meeting him briefly. Let me know how everything goes!

LetThemEatCake, I'm really not sure who you would direct your Seattle HR inquiries to. I'm pretty sure you are referring to the Bellevue location. Before the Topanga store opened, there was no contact information for that store until about three months prior to the opening. I know for certain that corporate HR would not have much to do with the hiring since there is actually a separate HR for stores. You could try applying at an LA Neiman Marcus and then transferring to the Bellevue store when it opens. Otherwise, you may want to call the Downtown Dallas NM store, and ask the operator who you can direct your HR inquiries to for a store that has not yet opened.

To echo what has been said, these programs are highly competitive. Companies prefer to hire from within from sales associates, and data entry professionals etc. This makes it easier to hire for those jobs by creating a "career path" and inspires loyalty and happiness in the people who have been promoted, all good things for the company.

They will hire a small number of people annually (generally for one class per year) and because the positions are very desirable, yes, a strong academic background and/or industry experience, particularly in-store experience from a like store, is preferred.

All the department stores who do it have detailed information on their websites. The bigger chains will also recruit at college fairs.

Excuse me, i know this thread it is been quite dead but i have a few questions about this program.

I know everyone mentions that people from everywhere apply to theses programs specially the NM Executive program, Is it possible to apply if you are not an american citizen ? As far as i am concerned, you can but it'll be more difficult.

And, a lot of people it is talking about them going to recruit to college fairs, how come then that they want retail experience if they are going recruiting on students who have fairly no background working experience in the field ?

I am excited about this program, and would really love to get in, have read a lot about, and i feel i totally fit, but don't know if not being american will affect my candidature.

I certainly could not answer you regarding if you have to be American ... I had no idea.

So ... I did a little research and here's what Saks' site has to say about their program:
Saks Fifth Avenue Executive Excellence Program

At Saks Fifth Avenue, we have made a strong commitment to the training and development of our executives. In fact, we offer a unique opportunity for those who have executive presence and leadership potential. For those who are passionate about retail and are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic environment, we enlist them in our Executive Excellence Program.

The program, which focuses on merchandising and sales, places our new executives on a distinctive career path. As program participants work directly with merchants, planners and store management, they increase their expertise in many areas. They also develop valuable skills while absorbing the company culture. Through a combination of classroom instruction and on-the-job experience, they are able to learn from the best – our senior merchants and store managers – and to use this knowledge as the foundation of a highly fulfilling career.

To apply Internal Merchandise Assistants, Assistant Merchandisers, Product Coordinators, Sales Associates, and Executive Excellence Program Interns are eligible for the nomination process. Please note that jobs will be posted based on availability.

From Neiman Marcus' site:
The Neiman Marcus Executive Development Program (EDP) is the envy of other retailers. We train and orient you to all aspects of our brand of luxury retailing. Our program provides you with the tools needed to be a successful assistant buyer within our merchant organization.

The intensive twelve-week training program is a full-time position that, upon completion, leads to placement as an assistant buyer with one of our business divisions based in the metropolitan Dallas/Fort Worth area..

So ... these programs are designed to train their own employees (future buyers, managers, etc.) .... so you have to live where the work will be. That requires either permanent residency in the US ... or a long term U.S. work permit. Being American is not the issue ... you just have to be able to work in the US legally and live here.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly the same conclusion that i arrived, still wondering if they are waiting for you to get a visa, anyway thank you so much... you are the best.

Just reading the description of those executive programs makes me so excited, which i shouldn't be yet :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->