Brandon Maxwell S/S 2019 New York

At one point, it would be good to actually see designed clothes.
Boring American sportswear works when you have a narrative bigger than the clothes. That’s why seeing a long column dress in silk jersey works well at Michael Kors or Ralph Lauren.

Besides that, there are some awful things like that bottle green dress and that weird styling.
I’m also going to question the taste level. Shiny, expensive fabrics are tricky. But shiny, expensive fabrics in flashy colors can be a disaster... And here, we have a perfect illustration of the subject. This is something that should only be reserved to those C-list Couture houses showing in PFW.

We don’t need that from a designer who could afford this kind of cast.

Basic.

Idk...Sies Marjan did these colors in a much more unique and interesting way last season.

What I find with especially a lot of American designers, is that once they've latched onto the moneyed elegance direction they don't deviate at all. What's the need for a Brandon Maxwell when we have ODLR, Kors, CH and a host of others. These designs are just so basic, you can find them in every major capital of the world. I guess that's why people like it so much.

Ultimately, it's all about how a client feels when she's wearing one of these designs. And clearly something is working for Brandon Maxwell. Of course there's nothing remotely novel or original here - but you can't deny that in pretty much every look the model looks really stunning and like they're feeling themselves. We'll see these dresses everywhere in the coming months.

It's pretty and nostalgic in a very 80's & 90's New York sportswear Bill Blass kind of way and I think women appreciate that but this is not fashion for me.

It's very Butterick pattern and I don't think there's any longevity for a brand like this. The press will inevitably go away and once it does there has to be substance there.

It's very Butterick pattern and I don't think there's any longevity for a brand like this. The press will inevitably go away and once it does there has to be substance there.

See, that's what I'm thinking as well. Where's the longevity? He might kid himself by thinking it's 'classic', but there's nothing else to see here than wearable inoffensive clothes.

love the use of colour, love the green dress on bella

pretty !

See, that's what I'm thinking as well. Where's the longevity? He might kid himself by thinking it's 'classic', but there's nothing else to see here than wearable inoffensive clothes.
Maybe he should do Escada...

Conclusion: You don't need to do complicated designs to make things work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->