Brooklyn Fashion Week

liberty33r1b

Reaction score
from fashionweekdaily.com:

No Sleep Til Brooklyn!
The borough launches its own fash week tonight

Thursday, May 04, 2006

(BROOKLYN) It has a hold on bands, boys, and baby-laden hunks like Heath Ledger, and now Brooklyn has its own fashion week.
The opening gala for BK Fashion Week[End] will be held tonight at 7 p.m. in the Empire Fulton Ferry Park Tobacco Warehouse at 70 Washington Street. There will also be a silent auction to benefit the BK Style Foundation and Made In Brooklyn.
“[Brooklyn-based] designers’ styles are as diverse as Brooklynites themselves, and their commitment to our borough adds so much color, flair, and character to our unique fabric of life,” said Brooklyn’s Borough President, Marty Markowitz.
This Friday through Sunday, those designers will also present their collections at the Empire Fulton Ferry Park Tobacco Warehouse at the event’s first installation organized by The BK Style Foundation, a not-for-profit organization which helps Brooklyn youth pursue careers in all areas of fashion.
With Project Runway’s Zulema head-lining the weekend walk-off, there’s no doubt Brooklynites and Manhattanites alike will be hitting the shores of Brooklyn Heights to see all the local designers including Cotrice and Vaella.

does anyone have more info on this??

For what it's worth, they have the place booked up for THREE full days, and are NOT SELLING TICKETS to the public.

I have no idea what the real scoop is, but judging just from that, it seems pretty substantial for a first time event.

I think that's cool.

I've always loved local designer shows. I used to model in a few back home and they were always so much fun.

It's easy to just write it off without even looking, because what could you expect from a Brooklyn Fashion Week...?! But you never know...

tott said:
It's easy to just write it off without even looking, because what could you expect from a Brooklyn Fashion Week...?! But you never know...

Be interesting to see some photos when it's all said and done.

i actually got an invitation to this event(s) and was sent an e-mail reminder by a friend of mine.
it sounds interesting but i am very curious about this.
personally i dont think new york needs another fashion week. i think this is by and large a reaction to the prejudices and biases some NY (brooklyn based) designers face by the industry here.
even globally i think there are just tttttooooooooo many fashion weeks (WEAKS- as some of them are a waste of time)
it would be nice if the organizers of NY fashion week made a greater effort to organize it better, possibly givving two middle days exclusively to smaller independent designers (so that it forces international buyers and press to see them after they have come for the opening big names and before the high profile closers)and providing a cheaper central location to them, also demanding that the state, regulate who can show (like the couture in paris, if thats possible) because there are just too many peoplebshowing that are not ready for this industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
ugh there are too many fashion weeks :( I should make my own! The Jared week! muwhahah! :lol:

I suppose this will be reserved to the Williamsburg hipsters?? :lol:

I agree with Zamb. I think this is the ultimate reaction against the hierarchy of NYFW organisers. The shut out so many it's understandable why they would develop their own week. Maybe the indies of Manhattan will trek to Brooklyn to present,yeah? I dunno. We really don't need another one...I think,like Zamb,NY just needs better organisation and also more support in a wider spectrum than mere established and 'it' talents.

Really,the smarter move would be to organise some kind of group like London does with their Alternative Fashion Week during the fashion weeks. Perhaps,more indies in NY in general would garner more interest that way?

Last edited by a moderator:
the following text and images are all from nytimes.com

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]FASHION comes from all quarters. It is found at an indie-rock festival, a poetry reading or a knitting circle. The members of a particular scene may not think of themselves as trend-setters, but by pulling themselves together just so, they define a look. This was true at Brooklyn's first Fashion Weekend, May 5 to 7, when 19 primarily local designers presented runway shows and the spectators gave back just as much style. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Manhattan-based skeptics predicted dourly that the runways would feature cobwebby updates of 70's macramé shawls, or urban-influenced do-rags, or the pride of Williamsburg, Carhartt jackets. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Not so. The collections paraded at the Tobacco Warehouse in Dumbo defied expectations, from the sophisticated setting — a tent with arches that echoed the Brooklyn Bridge — to the clothing, some as polished as it was unconventional. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]As with other distinct fashion subcultures, Brooklyn's is the product of a renegade mindset. Zulema, a popular contestant on "Project Runway," showed wasp-waisted, rose-embellished dresses that paid homage to matadors. [/SIZE][/FONT]

11street_slide01.jpg

11street_slide02.jpg

11street_slide03.jpg

/\ Simon Duncan

Anyway, not much in terms of other images (rather ugly)

Nana Boateng (yes, related to Ozwald) was apparently a part of the show.

Simon Duncan stuff looks rather interesting :unsure:

I am excited to see what comes from this event...I don't know why people are against this particular fashion week, or expect it to be horrible. There are a lot of very unique and innovative designers in the Brooklyn area. All you need to do is scout out the area for cool stores and you will find a lot of great local talent.

Scott said:
Simon Duncan stuff looks rather interesting :unsure:

Yeah...very interesting. Wonder what fabrics....some of them look really shiny. Could just be lighting etc though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->