Burberry Black Label S/S 2009: Nimue Smit by Lachlan Bailey

Discussion in 'Ad Campaigns' started by ckgirlbr, Mar 26, 2009.

1. ckgirlbr

ckgirlbr goodbye kiss

Hope this is not a repost ^_^
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    supermodels.nl

#1 ckgirlbr, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Mar 26, 2009
  2. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

Um....what's so luxurious about 12 year old looking kids? These are the kinda ads that put me off the clothes. ***Edited*** Imagine these ads with Lily or Gemma, theyd be so much better.

#2 Squizree, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Natasa: Mar 29, 2009
  3. SirSunday

SirSunday jedinečnej krásy

^I'd think others would make similar comments perhaps about what can be perceived as off-putting facial features to Lily and Gemma, or Agyness or Rosie, or Karlie or Anabela, whose faces have been used for some of Burberry's product in the last year and a half as well. Nimue can't help but look the way that she does, if one thinks that 12 year olds should be purchasing Black Label, then that's a target demographic that I can say in my experience is relatively untapped. Given the lackluster appeal of the main line advertising, this follows suit. It won't alter my perception of the brand, but I don't think the campaign alone needs to evolve with the market... Nonetheless, what can I say but good for Nimue...but otherwise a forgettable campaign.

4. simons

simons Member

^i agree with that. ads never really represent the "norm" of any body anyways.

oh, male model is jeremy young.

5. elsaskywalker

elsaskywalker -- aGGravaTion de caS --

Well, she looks really cute, like those ads!!

6. Street_a_Licious

Street_a_Licious Active Member

Black Label is Japan exclusive. so i'd say it's aimed at young japanese people.

7. eighty

eighty New Member

Amen! I would want to associate Burberry with sophistication, not silly youth chasing!

8. SirSunday

SirSunday jedinečnej krásy

I fail to see how exactly this campaign is lacking sophistication? Nimue was 16 at the time of this photoshoot and had also been part of Prada's SS 09 campaign. The comments here seem to focus on her appearance, not the composition of the shots themselves. Burberry's backbone is steeped in devoted consumers, myself included, who may not approve of the direction (which some could argue has been going around in circles) under Christopher Bailey. There's nothing wrong with trying to infuse a contemporary edge in the fashion, nor even in somewhat of a youth oriented campaign. The last few campaigns have included young adults and teenagers (remember the horridly chaotic campaign a couple years back of an ensemble in movement not unlike :ermm: Lacoste?), not staid/seasoned (I mean age, not experience) models. One of the lookbooks had Karlie Kloss and Anabela Belikova, exclusively, keep in mind Karlie was younger than Nimue when she shot it. I highly doubt this banal campaign will turn away devotees, but bravo to the brand for trying to generate interest in younger consumers. If there hadn't been a revival of interest (the brand is a status symbol among teenagers and other young adults I know) in the last few years, then all of this would be moot.

9. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

^ It doesnt matter how old Nimue is. She looks 12 and Im not even exaggerating. To me 12 year old looking girls do not represent sophistication.

and we all know how sophisticated Prada is :rolleyes:

10. Faith Akiyama

Exactly :flower: If it were not for TFS or the WWW, these ads would not even be visible here to western audiences who are accustomed to viewing Burberry in a singular manner. The youth culture of Japan can easily embrace such aspirational images and would no doubt associate Burberry with that representation of themselves. IMHO it is the label strategically adapting to its target audience in order to sell its clothes, not a diminishing of "sophistication." Both Nimue and Jeremy carry this "next gen" illustration quite well here.

#10 Faith Akiyama, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Mar 28, 2009
  11. Baxxxton

Baxxxton nervous like a knivefight

really cute :)

12. thiago:)

thiago:) she's got the look

I like the second shot.