Burberry Prorsum S/S 11 London

I have no words. I mean I've never really been wowed by anything Bailey has done at Burberry, but I'm honestly embarrassed for him right now. That collection, besides being completely out of touch with the zeitgeist, is also tragically bad looking.

He'd be better off sticking to his same old rainy London day formula, because this is one sad attempt at being trendy. For that matter it's a sad attempt at making clothes that just look good.

i really cannot add much to this rather astute insight, but this collection, in my mind, looked like a sales rack of balmain sprayed with silver studs. yes, the seemingly last-minute additions of neon accessories did make it tie into collections we've seen on both sides of the pond, but mostly this collection looked so out of step with EVERYTHING. will these pieces hold up and sell? of course, it's burberry. and it's not completely out of the realm of bailey's work -- i think back to that wonderfully colorful collection with the neons and neoprene some years back -- but it's just not relevant in many ways.

WITH THAT SAID, one has to give bailey his props because his pre-fall and resort collection remain the stuff of fashion junkies' dreams and it's quite genius of him to use the ready-to-wear runways as a selling opportunity: their original purpose any way. if one wants his comment on the new silhouette, his last resort collection addressed that soundly. so if one looks at this collection as just a moving sales rack, it's not altogether horrible. it also underscores the covetability of that motocross look that everyone lambasted when balmain brought it to the fore.

the diversity of lines at burberry ultimately still make it a force in fashion even if its voice during this season really means nothing.

Here the moment more important of the show

:lol: Poor girl. It was nice of them to clap for her. She was the worst walker in there though.

*puts on moderators hat*

Please remember this is the Burberry SS 2011 London show and this is the Designers and collections forum, we are here to talk collections, not models (no matter how funny the fall is ... lol)

*puts on his regular ultra's hats*

Ill have to admit that when I first saw those jackets I immediately thought WTF? I mean they are very english imho ... Im happy that Bailey and Burberry are capitalizing on punk and that english attitude ... but is it Burberry?

He did came to label to infuse some new energy, and he has done it successfully in the past ... I know that 90% of the boys and girls on this planet are gonna be salivating after the studded jackets opposite most of the stuff you see on the runway so Bravo for that ...

... I think the jackets arent quite Burberry yet ... or maybe Im just thinking old school Burberry and never imagined that Chris would take it that far ... those prints do not seem english nor Burberry-esque at all and clearly seemed much more influenced by trends and what-not but Im still undecided about the jackets ... I guess Chris threw me a curveball here and I cant quite tell especially about those leater studded jackets ... the collection does seem a bit all over the place esp those prints ... Ill have to admit that on past RTW collection of Bailey for Burberry we've seem ... smarter? approach of what does he thinks the Burberry customer wants ...

^it's also instant gratification. he can incubate his ideas in the more niche collections like the resort and pre-fall collections. these clothes might seem disjointed, but it's for immediate consumption. you can click and buy right now if you want. this, i contend, is another way for these fashion houses to combat the rampant plagiarism of the mass market retailers. why wait for express or zara when you can get the real thing right now?

Those type of ruffled dresses are already seen, somebody had very similar or even the same. I mean everything is already seen, but they could be more original when it comes to shape of dresses.
But there were nice pieces, like those jackets. I liked those.

I've always loved Burberry for always making clothes classy but retaining that young, hip, cool grunge aesthetic to it. This collection was nice but not sure about all the studded jackets. In general there was way too many studs. As for the belts, I like the use of bright bold colors but it really did not work for me. I'm shocked to see some animal prints in some of the pieces..

^i can almost bet money those belts will make quite a few cameos editorially.

^Third

Well, at least somewhere Taylor Momsen is happy

BAHAHAHA That literally made me L-O-L!!!

Oh my darling Christopher! I love you so much. I do think that this is quite a lovely collection. Although nothing like the fall/winter 2010 brilliance, it's still beautiful. I love the modernness that he has brought to the Burberry brand. Christopher has been able to make the clothes more appealing to the masses, he brought a freshness to the brand, while at the same time retaining the sophistication of Burberry that we all love. The trench coats infused with the leather were great! and the addition of colors were also great! This collection is simple yet elegant. Young and hip. I love you Christopher Bailey!!!

US Glamour January 2011:

justjared

Last edited by a moderator:
^ lol I LOVE how the dress kinda resembles the English flag. Bailey's awesome like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kancuk24
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->