Burberry S/S 2018 London

While this has a couple of nice pieces and the homage is somewhat admirable, this is simply not worthy of a swansong collection especially after 17 years in the house.

It is very on-trend and bears little resemblance to the aesthetic that made him and the brand relevant for many of the years he's led it. I'm disappointed but I guess it just proves that it's really time to go.

He needs a break to reboot as the pressures on him have been showing for the last few seasons. He's a very talented and hard working individual and it will be interesting to see what he does next.

To me this whole collection seems to be too heavy and wrinkled to the point of being scruffy and that rainbow thing was so heavy-handed. Personally speaking I have nothing against being trendy because they have to sell something, but being a hot mess is another thing and here it is. But it's not surprising at all since Burberry lost its identity few years ago.

WOW! This is so bad and sad! So sad to see that the last collection of him at Burberry is also the worst of his career and one of the worst in the entire fashion week.

I expected a return to the effortless glamour that transformed Burberry into a fashion force. A revisitation of his own archives with re-worked archival prints would have been perfect.
The flare pants that are for me very representative of his work are a nice touch but overall, it's a disaster. It feels desperate.

I really don't think that people who are not hypebeast are really interested in wearing visible classic Burberry check like that! It's even more uglier on bags or on those Versace-inspired shirts.

It's really tacky and the worst thing about that is that i'm sure that they though it was cool and quirky.

This is so sad that it actually makes me angry. This is the only Farewell show (other than Carolina Herrera) and i had big expectations.
And the cast is also very lackluster.

The LGBTQ tribute is fine but really, they deserved something less tacky and embarassing as a collection.

I'll not miss him at Burberry despite all the good things he has done there.

Vivienne Westwood meets Balenciaga meets Vetements meets Prada meets Marni meets Jonathan Anderson meets DRUGS.

What in the fresh hell is this? Calvin Klein have a serious contender for the ugliest show of the season.

I don't want so sound disrespectful of his long career here but I've never cared about him, Burberry and the whole thing. It's just irrelevant for me. If he's going to design things like this, he better keep FAR FAR AWAY from fashion world.

One word:

tumblr_niz8chFB6t1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

realitytvgifs

I would have appreciated a ‘best of’ 2000s collections better as a final collection. This is just horrible.

What an awful collection. Which is ironic, during his tenure Bailey made some very classy stuff. This is very Vetements, that sort of 90s thrift store look and some of those sweatshirts literally look like those cheap sweatshirts you get at gift shops at tourist locales.

I'm sad seeing this as his last collection. To be honest, I feel like this has corporate written all over it. He turned to house up side down and really pushed it to become a force in the industry. Some works he had done were even trendsetter. This collection is everything opposite his work. I still remembered all the amazing Prorsum collections. I do spot some nice archival pieces but that was it.

Thank goodness he's going because this collection and many of his others over the years have been horrible. It's disappointing that he had to finish on such a note because this just feels gimmicky.

This brand has a serious identity problem and this whole collection screams Gucci wannabe.

Good reminder of why I won't miss him.

Hopefully our next farewell show is better than this, at the very last Céline will have some soul to it.

This says so much about the state of fashion we are in right now. I can't even find nor invent a negative word to express my disgust over this collection.

This is a man who's been a the helm of a house for 17 years. He completely rejuvenated it & brought it back to the limelight. He basically made London fashion week hot again by moving his show there, he got an executive position at the house... And yet for him to think that he has to deliver this crap to remain relevant or is being told to deliver this crap to align with the clownery which is trendy today is such a sad sad way of ending his era.

Even if his last years have been lackluster , Bailey delivered incredible collections at Burberry. He has a vocabulary and an aesthetic in his own right. I can't believe that he's leaving with something so impersonal AND ugly.

It is sad . It shows how we are in a fashion time when basically fashion doesn't give a single f*ck about depth or individuality. It's all about the now. The vapid and disposable now.

Even if his last years have been lackluster , Bailey delivered incredible collections at Burberry. He has a vocabulary and an aesthetic in his own right. I can't believe that he's leaving with something so impersonal AND ugly.

It is sad . It shows how we are in a fashion time when basically fashion doesn't give a single f*ck about depth or individuality. It's all about the now. The vapid and disposable now.

Well said, I agree. He really built an impressive brand and had phenomenal collections at the house, and then seemed to get sucked into buzz over quality -- which all of fashion seems a victim of, peaked around the hiring of Slimane at YSL.

Hopefully our next farewell show is better than this, at the very last Céline will have some soul to it.

No Celine show unfortunately. Phoebe already left the house and the collection was already presented in January.

That breaks my heart!:cry::cry::cry:

OK, I lied. I bought the bag and coat in look no. 12. (well preordered).

What I am thrilled about is the fur used in the collection, including Cara's cape, is all faux fur. I think one positive from this. I think what everyone else has said is true, this is a highlight of the state of fashion right now.

He really was a taste maker but clearly share holders were more concerned about what competition was doing as opposed to dancing to their own beat. Consumers are already becoming bored by the Gucci/Vetement aesthetic and are looking for newer ideas. I think this is why people are excited to see what Phoebe and Kim are going to do next because we want something fresher.

This is what happens when you are both CEO and CD of a brand. At some point that 'suit' mentality will completely overwhelm the creative processing of your collections. It looks like he wrestled with his direction here, and eventually submitted to what's currently selling. It's positively embarrassing and atrocious to look at. I still think this is more of a result from the Gosha x Burberry collab, which, I'm sorry, he should never have allowed! People weep and wail over Gucci using 1968 protesting for a campaign, while they should be paying more attention to this new Soviet chic trend which seems to be growing from strength to strength. You have young inner city Londonites running around with CCCP and red star t-shirts when I doubt they truly grasp the ramifications of this cruel system which they're glorifying.

Back to Burberry, it's a terrible way to end, yes, But he had more hits and misses over his entire career, so I've just erased this collection from my memory. It never existed. Now let the new CD roll on......

don't leave me this way...

:heart:...

susie bubble made the best comment about this on her IG...
i have nothing else to say except---well done...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->