Campbell Addy - Photographer

Benn98

Reaction score

British-Ghanaian photographer Campbell Addy is an artist with a story to tell. His debut solo show, Matthew 7:7&8, bravely explored and celebrated sexuality and a culture at odds with his Jehovah’s Witness upbringing. “Everyone assumes if you’re gay, you’re not religious,” he said in an interview with Dazed. “I grew up in a very religious household and there are things you can’t just leave in the past, it stays with you – like my morals are deeply rooted in religion whether I like it or not.”

A recent Central Saint Martins graduate, Addy’s highly stylised pictures have been featured in some of the fashion world’s boldest publications. His ambition and socially conscious sensibility extend to the two platforms he launched in 2016 – Nii Journal and Nii Agency, a culture magazine and a modelling agency, respectively. The journal was borne out of Addy’s experiences in New York during the summer of 2015, at a crucial period of the Black Lives Matter movement. He explained that there was no way he could have gone back to CSM without producing something in response, so set about creating a magazine that would explore issues of empowerment and representation within race.

“I owe it to my brothers, I owe it to the conversation that’s happening,” he said. The agency sprung from a slightly different concern – Addy’s anger after one of the models he shot, who was albino, was told by an agent, “We have one of you already”. He decided that he would create something to change the status quo: an ultra-diverse agency which smashes the façade of conventional beauty standards with a particular focus on black men.

Dazed

Another Man Spring/Summer 2019

Collections Part One: First Colours of Perception

Photographer: Campbell Addy
Set Designer: Jabez Bartlett
Stylist: Poppy Kain
Hair: Ryan Mitchell
Makeup: Daniel Sallstrom
Manicure: Ama Quashie
Cast: Yota Hoshi, Shami, Qi Junkai, Jameel Hussey, Jonny Yeats, Angel Ross, Trent Lafond, Marco Varcoe, Luka, Takuro, Stephen Obi

Another Man Digital Edition

Rolling Stone March 2020

Women Who Shape the World

Stylist: Rachel Johnson
Hair: Randy Stodghill, Kellon Deryck, Yusef
Makeup: Ernesto Casillas, Rokael
Cast: Megan Thee Stallion, Normani, SZA

Rolling Stone Digital Edition

Dazed Spring/Summer 2019

Debra Shaw

Set Designer: Victoria Salomoni
Stylist: Emma Wyman
Hair: Tomohiro Ohashi
Makeup: Ammy Drammeh
Cast: Debra Shaw

Dazed Digital Edition

US Harper's Bazaar September 2020

London Calling

Stylist: Anna Trevelyan
Hair: Isaac Poleon
Makeup: Ammy Drammeh
Cast: BBZ, CKTRL, Bree Runway, Georgina Johnson, Phyll Opoku-Gyimah, Clara Amfo, Rhea Dillon, Sheku Kanneh-Mason, Aston Rudi, Anais, Ajamu, Isaac Poleon, Virginie Moreira, Ammy Drammeh, Cosima, Nicholas Daley, Mischa Notcutt, Cecile Emeke, PC Williams, Deepa Keshvala,

US Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

Time International Edition - 21 September 2020

Fashioning Change

Cast: Edward Enninful

Time International Edition Digital Edition

W Magazine Volume 4 2020

High Impact

Stylist: Francesca Burns
Hair: Syd Hayes
Makeup: Thom Walker
Cast: Lara Stone, Fadhi Mohamed, Mouchette Bell, Tess McMillan, Awuor Dit, Georgia Palmer, Florence, Zainab Olaide, Flo Nicholls, Taira

W Magazine Digital Edition

UK Vogue March 2021

The New Creatives

Set Designer: Jabez Bartlett
Stylist: Poppy Kain
Hair: Issac Poleon
Makeup: Bea Sweet
Cast: Rafael Pavarotti, Nubya Garcia, Claude Adjil, Jawara, Gala Colivet Dennison, Faridah Abíké-Iyímídé, Babba C Rivera, Noah Jupe, Rina Yang, Shawanda Corbett, Maximilian Davis, Precious Lee, Morfydd Clark, Claude Adjil, Tishk Barzanji

UK Vogue Digital Edition

US Harper's Bazaar September 2021

BEYONCÉ'S EVOLUTION
Photographer:
Campbell Addy
Stylists: Samira Nasr & Marni Senofonte
Hair: Jawara & Nakia Rachon
Make-Up: Francesca Tolot
Model/Celebrity: Beyoncé

harpersbazaar.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics