Carolina Herrera

helena

Swim Upstream
Reaction score
Whats the consensus on this designer? I have never seen her clothes in reallife but they seem to me to be in that high end park avenue princess mould like some other labels like Tuleh.... quite boring & way over priced but always 'safely' chic. what do you all think? Is american vogue not a huge fan...?

herrera is to american fashion what chanel is to french fashion. reliably chic clothes for a woman of certain means. the herrera white blouse rivals the chanel jacket as the chic-est staple item.

i wouldn't say that american vogue doesn't like them, quite the opposite...i've seem herrera editorialized quite frequently in ms. wintour's rag.

While her designs aren't necessarily my style, I can definitly say that she makes beautiful, wearable fashions for women who have a taste for chic, elegant, tasteful clothes. As for Herrera herself, I like her personality......not really sure why.

I really like her clothes, but they are def. extremely expensive...$1,200 for wool pants :doh: but very well made. I usually like her ready-to-wear collections and her personality is quite nice!

As for Herrera herself, I like her personality......not really sure why.

I think that her clothes are classy, elegant and very feminine. I love her personal style and that of her daughter Carolina, Jr. Carolina also seems to be a very down to earth person.

I doubt you are missing much by not having seen her clothes in real life, helena. I have, and I think they are about a complete look of "ladylike sophistication" rather than having up-close teases like minute details and fancy fabric.

I see her as being uninventive, but still good at what she does, and I can appreciate the talent in that. I usually look to her when I am trying to find inspiration for a basic piece I want in my wardrobe -- if I know I want a black skirt, I can look at some of her designs to help me narrow down what kind of black skirt.

She usually does not fit my less structured style, but I always look forward to her shows. :smile:

I concur. She does what she does extremely well. I have a great respect for her, even if her style doesn't suit me. I think she gets great coverage in Vogue. There was a full spread on her last month.

yes I guess it would be great to wear her clothes when you are older - really lovely chic outfits but they are quite boring. Not much imagination involoved - you can't really go wrong with them.

Originally posted by helena@Aug 17 2004, 12:23 PM
yes I guess it would be great to wear her clothes when you are older - really lovely chic outfits but they are quite boring. Not much imagination involoved - you can't really go wrong with them.
[snapback]335638[/snapback]​

herrera isn't about age so much as money and sophistication. she puts items that would be classic for a younger client and edgy for the older client. (the perfect ageless turtleneck, that fancy skirt)

I don't think it's about a certain age at all. This look for instance is very youthful but still very sophisticated.

100109062.jpg

LOVE HER! She's real fashion to me. Thank goodness her style of clothing is in fashion and has been for a few years now. Even the "kids" want to dress like sophisticated Americans now.

I love her personality and her accent is to die!!!!!! South American women really get it!

She's one of my fave socialites.

I really adore that black outfit. I think Ms. Herrera is quite talented, and I usually like most of her stuff. I doubt I would ever wear a head-to-toe looks from her, at least for day, as that is not my style. I think it would look great to pair some of her very lady-like pieces with other less-structured, funky items.

i agree with you 100%helena...better for older women who need structure now that their shapes aren't what they once were...and you are correct...vogue gives great coverage..and often covers...

but it is true that the clothes are quite safe...translation...boring and inimaginative...
you always know what you're going to get...so reliable... which is the positive...she's good at what she does...but she doesn't do it for me... -_- *snooze*

rather boring designer, but may be good for her style, i don't know

she reminds me of the evil step mother in cindarella :blink:

Her clothing embodies femininity... is the way to describe Herrera... I still love that gorgeous floral dress that Katie Holmes wore of Herrera's last year... :heart:

I think her winter collection isn't one of her greatest. It is a bit too conservative and a tad boring, but I usually like what she does, even if it's aimed at an older, richer woman than me!

I don't think you can ever go wrong with well made clothes in great fabrics. If you're going to wear the whole Herrera look head to toe, of course it will look too old for someone in their 20's, but to take a couple of pieces and make them work in your existing wardrobe wouldn't be too difficult. From the new collection, though...I'd spend my hard-earned elsewhere :innocent:

Her aesthetic is akin to St.John albeit that St.John has the distinct tendency to utilize a lot of Chanel elements, i.e. chains.

Probably Escada by Ley as well but recently Escada has trying to go for the younger audience it seems.

i like her. i think it's defineatly a mood, as in all herrera could get boring but very nice things in moderation

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duchessadellamoda
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->