Cashmere Sweaters

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by Mr. Lee, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Member

Which ones do you like for men?

2. jd255

jd255 New Member

My ex had some great cashmere sweaters from Banana. Surprising, but they were amazing.

3. MJCouture

MJCouture Active Member

I just got a slew from J Crew. They are surprisingly great. I believe they use Loro Piana (how the hell do you spell that?) cashmere, which is really top notch. They do classic v necks in a ton of colors, and they are all under $200. Check them out. I also have some Ralph Lauren ones, some generic label ones, a couple of vintage ones, and one Lucien one (fabulous but outrageously priced.

4. kiimihaana

kiimihaana New Member

I've been pleased with the selection of men's cashmere at Nordstrom. Their house brand is a very nice quality at a reasonable pricepoint.

I too have heard the "rumor" regarding Loro Piana and JCrew. My thought is that they (LP) must make a nice range of cashere at different price points. All cashmere isn't created equally....

A small word to the wise.... to get the best value for your money when purchasing low-medium end cashmere its best to buy lighter colors, such as ivory and pastels because the manufacturer is forced to use better quality wool. The lighter colors don't hold as well on cheap wool.

5. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Member

I bought one the other day but I felt bad cause it was too expensive so I exchanged it for a overcoat. Almost $700 is too much for a sweater imo. Thanks for the advice and I will check them out.

6. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I couldn't agree more.

7. runner

runner .

Cruciani is of good quality. a bit expensive though.

[​IMG]

8. faust

faust New Member

Jil Sander. But they are very expensive.

9. maiden voyage

maiden voyage New Member

I wanted to revive this question... I have a couple of JCrew cashmere sweaters that I got on a huge sale and I am a little disappointed, given the rumor that they're using Lora Piana. I haven't worn them that much and there's already pilling, which I hate! I have a nice thick vintage Jaeger (I think) cashmere sweater that I wear all the time and it's in great shape, so I know that cashmere can hold up well if it's good. I'm curious what other people have found with the quality of different brands... and if you think you can get a good cashmere sweater for $150 (the fullprice for Jcrew).

#9 maiden voyage, Sep 13, 2005
    Last edited by moderator : Sep 13, 2005
  10. Curious

Curious New Member

^ I have from Ann Taylor :flower:

I haven't actually owned any from JCrew though I'm always tempted. I have bought a couple from there for the bf, though & they have held up well :huh: And he's not exactly careful with his clothing either. Interesting! Now I want to hear opinions, too :lol:

11. brokenenglish

brokenenglish Deep Red Bells

My best friends grandma is a seamstress, knows everything about clothing and fabric, and always says how great Banana Republic sweaters are.

12. susie_bubble

susie_bubble New Member

For men? My ex used to buy Pringle sweaters. They were very soft to snuggle up to!

13. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Member

So am I! My post count says 777, this must be my lucky day!

#13 Mr. Lee, Sep 13, 2005
    Last edited by moderator : Sep 13, 2005
  14. susie_bubble

susie_bubble New Member

Congrats on your 777th post. I've got a long way to go yet!

15. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Member

16. maiden voyage

maiden voyage New Member

I have to add: after taking out more of my winter sweaters, I noticed that one of my favorite cashmere sweaters that has held up really well to wear and tear is just a no-name brand, "made in Fiji"... but no pills, and very soft and plush. So maybe price (and location) isn't always an indicator of quality?

17. mb117

mb117 New Member

marc jacobs. He makes many sweaters in cashmere, even ones for babies.

18. jah

jah New Member

im a sucker for Pradas cahmeres, great quality, fit and all of that. however if they are of a great value im not the one to say. i guess it depends if youre willing to spend some serious cash on a sweater or not really.

19. astridmll

astridmll New Member

Pure Collection and Brora make good cashmere sweaters

20. Yanka

Yanka New Member

Well, I used to be obsessed with cashmere and I believe Loro Piana home label is still the best you can get. It's better than Pringle, Ballantyne etc. They use the highest percentage of cashmere in their 100% cashmere, hehe, and the longest threads in thier yarn. Also, they only use white chasmere, while most of cheap labels use brown that doesn't dye that well and is less dense and pulls more easily. The truth is, you can't get the highest quality loro piana woven sweater for 150$. I think 700$ is quite reasonable, I have couple of loro piana sweaters, a coat and a couple of stoles and it feels like an orgasm. Once you tried good cashmere, it's hard to go back. however, i find lucien pellat finet totally unjustified. I was given one of their higher-priced sweaters as a gift (i could never spend that much on a jumper!) and although it feels great, it still pulls and it doesn't look 2000$.