Casting Clothes?

model_mom

Reaction score
My daughters agent has requested new clothes for spring castings, She wants her to take !,000.00 out of her account. I know this won't go far in NY, do you have any suggestions? NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!!

Chloe would be good, I think. Very young and feminine--excellent for a teenaged girl. If you can get a few things on out-of-season sale or from a clothing exchange of consignment shop, I think it would go over big.

Anna Sui would be great for a teenaged girl, too...very funky and playful, and I think her prices are maybe a little more reasonable for high fashion. I'd flip cartwheels over any girl who showed up in Sui.

:flower: Thanks for your help, Ali's going nuts in NY and I'm in MO. She doesn't want to spend the money for clothes (she's saving for a barrel horse). Her agent is taking her shopping I'll pass your comments along.

Originally posted by model_mom@Mar 23rd, 2004 - 6:47 pm
My daughters agent has requested new clothes for spring castings, She wants her to take !,000.00 out of her account. I know this won't go far in NY, do you have any suggestions? NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!!
the key is you want everything to mix and match so you get more use out of the wardrobe...then 2-3 stand-out special pieces...it''s not so bad because she'll be going on different castings and seeing different people all the time, so she can recycle the looks many times...

first-the shoes are the most important thing...something she can run around in that still looks sexy and stylish...i like slouchy boots... they look cute w/jeans tucked in or with mini skirts...all the best ones i've seen have been vintage... a kitten heel slingback would also b good for more grown-up or dressed up looks...again good with pants and skirts...there's a store on ave b called suzy sundae...she has super trendy vintage stuff that's cute cute cute and not exactly cheap, but do-able...she had tons of shoes last time i checked...check here for some 'special' pieces as well...i also like zara for inexpensive but good-looking shoes...lounge on lower bdwy has a very cool shoe dept downstairs...i wouldn't really bother with the clothes there...cheap-looking and over-priced-

*shoe trick-have a shoemaker put a thin rubber sole on the shoes...this makes even the cheapest shoes more comfortable and easier to walk in because you have better traction...it also works with monolos...cost-about $20

-h&m has cute skirts, dresses and little jackets for layering...alot of models wear their jeans...also check their accessories
-skip the gap altogether
-check old navy...someone said they had a cute babydoll top that looked like it was off the runway...i'd try to find that immediately before it sells out...
-j crew...pricier, but good for tanks and maybe a skirt ...cute accessories
-urban outfitters for accessories and maybe skirts or dresses... i find them pricey sometimes
-zara should have some good knock-off designer stuff...maybe some tops here-and shoes-and accessories-check their belts...you should get a cool belt that sits on the hips....and scarves....

*accessories are important because you can basically wear the same outfit over and over and just by changing the accessories, you create different looks...good wardrobe extenders...this is also a good way for ali to get some of her personality accross in the 5 min that she has to make an impression...

i really haven't scouted the stores for spring yet...one look i like is the drop
waist mini...with a couple of tanks layered over one another-the top tank long and oversized and loosely belted at the hips...h&m might have the whole outfit...

denim is your friend-very versatile and easy...mini skirt, jns, jkt...
also army green-mini,jkt...
anything orange/red/pink...would look good on top of these two...also think ali would look good in pale yellow...

it can get very hot in the city running around ...so skirts and dresses are a good bet...
jackets and sweaters or button down shirts for layering inside when it's freezing from the air-conditioning...haha...

i would also check( h$m ?) for a cute tote that she can carry her book in...a nice graphic canvas or maybe denim...

above all-she must be comfortable and feel good in what she's wearing in order to put her best foot forward...

whew---did ya get all that?! :lol: well...you asked for it... :flower: happy shopping...

Originally posted by model_mom@Mar 23rd, 2004 - 7:38 pm
:flower: Thanks for your help, Ali's going nuts in NY and I'm in MO. She doesn't want to spend the money for clothes (she's saving for a barrel horse). Her agent is taking her shopping I'll pass your comments along.
If her agent is taking her they will also take care of everything!

As much as she might not want to spend the money it is actually a good thing that her agent is taking this step. I don't know how to explain myself in my exhausted state but I am sure he or she has a look in mind for her and probably one which will seperate her from less established girls. B)

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 23rd, 2004 - 8:07 pm

-zara should have some good knock-off designer stuff...maybe some tops here-and shoes-and accessories-check their belts...you should get a cool belt that sits on the hips....and scarves....
Ohhh and on specifics, Zara often has these cute little Chanel-esque tweedy jackets in young colours and with fun details. They usually sell out- but worth a look. :innocent:

:heart: Thank you sooo much! WOW! This forum has been a God send for us. I have never met a nicer bunch of people who don't know me from Adam. I've been frantic all evening trying to calm Ali down via cell phone. (Shes worried about spending the money). I'll pass along your info it sounds worth checking out,and best of all it's from someone who knows the biz. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

i just looked ali up online...i think her agent is on the right track with her...i don't know how old she is...but she can pull off very mature looks as well as the younger one i think she has...$1000 can really go far if you spend wisely...she's got to consider it an investment...she's got to think like a businesswoman and realize that wardrobe is part of the marketing budget along with comp cards and portfolio and msgr...if it gets her more and better work...that will have been money well spent and she will get it back and lots more...she's got to be enthusiastic...shopping should not be painful...it should be fun...

and your welcome..but it's really my pleasure...i LOVE shopping...heeheee...

:flower: :flower:

She's 17, trying to get her to spend money on clothes other than jeans, camo, and cowboy boots is like pulling teeth, I bet her agent is ready to kill her. ( She does have a " thing" about VS, whats that all about????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

you saw Ali? I would love to see Ali. Is she just on o2w or something?
Softgrey's tips are fab! :flower:

Originally posted by mehg@Mar 23rd, 2004 - 11:35 pm
you saw Ali? I would love to see Ali. Is she just on o2w or something?
Softgrey's tips are fab! :flower:
:flower: She is on o2W, Glojeans.com (front page and catalog), Teen Vogue model scout Feb or march 2003, Models. com archives Sept 2003 under Hail Ali,and on the Ford website. I hope you like them.

Thanks! I wasn't sure what her last name was and figured there was probably more than one Ali. Great! Can't wait to check her pictures out!

She's my kind of girl! I love clothes shopping, but my money tends to go for my horses first. I used to run barrels locally, until my mare went lame and I had to sell her as a broodmare. Tell Ali good luck in finding the right horse. :smile:

:unsure: I really dislike when agents do this. My roommate Sarah almost went into a nervous "breakdown" because her booker was making such a BIG deal about what she was going to wear when Sarah was going to meet A VERY VERY VERY BIG, perhaps the biggest photographer'sassistant. Sarah is not all dressy, and her booker wanted her to look like she made an effort. Sarah doesn't wear heels, and she wore heels to this. She felt like she got a totally bad vibe because this assistant felt as if sarah was trying way too hard. I've never seen her so dissapointed.

The clients want to see you comfortable and being yourself. I dress like a "model". I never get "yelled" at for my clothes. But I think clients find it refreshing when a girl comes into a casting looking a little out of the normal. It definately leaves an impression.

I wouldn't let it stress Ali out too much, she can tweak her style a bit. But changing it completely, she will end up looking out of place.. :unsure:

Yes it's unfortunate that her agent isn't as accepting of her style. I like to dress comfy too (but never like a slob) and it annoys me when people tell me I should be dressing up.

Ali supposedly blew her 3rd callback for the Ralph Lauren show in Feb, because she didn't wear the right clothes according to J.S. She was on hold for looks an make up and to say her agent was not happy is putting it mildly.
She does like the clothes they ended up purchasing so maybe it's all for the good. :flower:

Hi! I'm new and wanted to thank you guys for your opinions on casting outfits. Your advice was great for summer-time clothes but what makes sense in the winter? I'm in London right now and tight jeans with slouch boots (jeans tucked in) seems to be stylish here but does that make you look odd in NYC? (like you're trying too hard?) How do you impress the clients and still stay warm?

I cant find pics of her, could someone post them please? thanks :heart:

Originally posted by Nixon058@Apr 9th, 2004 - 1:07 pm
I cant find pics of her, could someone post them please? thanks :heart:
there is a thread about her in 'Supporting Cast'. It's title is : Ali Turner

:flower: :flower:

Originally posted by Terrima183@Apr 7th, 2004 - 11:43 pm
Hi! I'm new and wanted to thank you guys for your opinions on casting outfits. Your advice was great for summer-time clothes but what makes sense in the winter? I'm in London right now and tight jeans with slouch boots (jeans tucked in) seems to be stylish here but does that make you look odd in NYC? (like you're trying too hard?) How do you impress the clients and still stay warm?
anything that works in london will work in NY...maybe even better here if you look a bit different...remember...you're not trying to fit in...you're trying to stand out... :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LolaC888
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->