"Catwalks: Seriously Outdated "

depends on the venue the designer chooses salvatore :wink:

I think a large part of the problem is that the venues rarely ever seems to fit in with the designer's aesthetic. So it sometimes feels a bit seperated;you get distracted and too focused on one part. A brilliant presentation would be able to captivate you all around. Like in a film(which is why some work with film presentations,I think),every conotation(clothes,mood etc. etc.) is supposed to come together and work visually,otherwise it leaves you feeling empty and without any real thought except that its just another generic fashion show. And it doesn't have to be a huge spectacle(and shock value doesn't exactly count in my book,I find that rather pathetic) because I've seen some of the most brilliant presentations done on the simplest of levels--its all about the mood and the scenario that makes it breathtaking. :woot:

absolutely true scott* I agree on every thing, desigenrs have to be able to express tehre ideas trhew a fashion show, therwise what is the point.

runways vary in length acid, Dior usually has a real long one, so does Chanel.

i'm with scott on
it doesn't have to be a huge spectacle(and shock value doesn't exactly count in my book,I find that rather pathetic) because I've seen some of the most brilliant presentations done on the simplest of levels--its all about the mood and the scenario that makes it breathtaking
the most amazing show/presentation i've ever been to was by yurgi persoons, at a garage. there was no catwalk at all.

great shows that come to my mind now, Martin Grant's last season show in an old apartment you could actually investigate the garments up close.
years ago, i saw margiela in a circus tent and more recently margiela again in a very classic, non trendy cafe tabac, where the team was explaining the garments one by one in full detail, loved it. :heart:

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 30th, 2003 - 3:23 pm
runways vary in length acid, Dior usually has a real long one, so does Chanel.

i'm with scott on
it doesn't have to be a huge spectacle(and shock value doesn't exactly count in my book,I find that rather pathetic) because I've seen some of the most brilliant presentations done on the simplest of levels--its all about the mood and the scenario that makes it breathtaking
the most amazing show/presentation i've ever been to was by yurgi persoons, at a garage. there was no catwalk at all.

great shows that come to my mind now, Martin Grant's last season show in an old apartment you could actually investigate the garments up close.
years ago, i saw margiela in a circus tent and more recently margiela again in a very classic, non trendy cafe tabac, where the team was explaining the garments one by one in full detail, loved it. :heart:
When I think best showmen ,Jurgi(scaffolding,plexiglass eggs and boxes,train tracks and a school portrait) and MM often come to mind as well. Probably the best and most original showmen in that simple feel, that's ever been,imo.

Most recently,I liked the horror film and funny ghost costumes from Bernhard Willhelm and Carol Christian Poell's floating models in the river in Milan.

i also like the floating collection scott, but it was somehow too 'dark' .. :P

I think a large part of the problem is that the venues rarely ever seems to fit in with the designer's aesthetic. So it sometimes feels a bit seperated;you get distracted and too focused on one part. A brilliant presentation would be able to captivate you all around. Like in a film(which is why some work with film presentations,I think),every conotation(clothes,mood etc. etc.) is supposed to come together and work visually,otherwise it leaves you feeling empty and without any real thought except that its just another generic fashion show. And it doesn't have to be a huge spectacle(and shock value doesn't exactly count in my book,I find that rather pathetic) because I've seen some of the most brilliant presentations done on the simplest of levels--its all about the mood and the scenario that makes it breathtaking. :woot:

Oh totally! :flower:

i think the solution is dividing the collection in2 categories with a break either musical or just a recess after each.
They should also try and add some more drama and also musical performances like the alexander mcqueen where you are kept occupied till the end of the show.

Yes,but the problem with that,again,is that most times the theatrics and the drama tends to take alot away from the point of presenting which is the clothes. McQueen is an exception though because he can stir up images by combining the two notions of fashion and show. Same with Hussein Chalayan--he's another brilliant showman.

And does anybody remember that A.F. Vandevorst collection which they used Hospital cots and had the models get up sleepily from each bed and walk down the aisle between the line of beds? Its was actually on the nail because the clothes were this kind of bandage-y wrapped handkercheifs and lots of cottons and fraying edges. It worked totally. Plus,it was very off-the-wall from the other typical shows. And again,it was incredibly simple in its venue and approach but it sparked so much imagination and emotions.

catwalk shows just like many of the other antiquated institutions of fashion probably have outlived their usefulness, but in today's society, i believe the shows not only go to sell the designer's unique fashion vision, if you will, but they also allow for the establishment of larger cross-label trends. the spring 2002 balenciaga look for example would not have been so impressed in our minds if we hadn't seen liya, maggie, karolina, among others walking around in them. the shows force the designers to distill their collection into a very pointed, ambitious look. without the focus given to a show, i strain to think what would limit the scope some of the major houses like chanel or armani. what tool would sales associates use if they did not have the ubiquitous look book at the disposal? a designer's job is not just to oversee the creation of new pieces, but also to guide the image of the brand as a whole...and shows are a good way to do that.

Originally posted by mikeijames@Dec 1st, 2003 - 11:03 pm
catwalk shows just like many of the other antiquated institutions of fashion probably have outlived their usefulness
exactly, thats the main point here :wink:

I think without fashion shows most of the world would be lost. Where else can we get a glimpse of the desighners vision, what about those who dont have the opportunity or acsess to see a "fashion film". Or those dreamers that cant go to a private collection on appointment basis only. A runway show allows all the world to see, dream, inspire, to love or hate.

Originally posted by TrailerCouture@Dec 1st, 2003 - 7:07 pm
. A runway show allows all the world to see, dream, inspire, to love or hate.
I agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->