Cavalli Underwear Offends

stylegurrl

Reaction score
VOGUE

CAVALLI'S OFFENSIVE UNDERWEAR

ROBERTO CAVALLI has offended Hindus all over the world by featuring images of their gods on a collection of underwear. UK Hindu groups said yesterday that the use of images of Vishnu, Lord Rama and Devi Swaraswati on bikinis was tantamount to featuring pictures of Jesus Christ on provocative underwear. "This is outrageous," Bimal Krishna Das, secretary of the UK National Council of Hindu Temples, told the Daily Mail. "The underwear is extremely offensive. Hinduism is a very tolerant religion, but this crosses a line. The deities are deemed holy and worshipped by millions of Hindus all across the globe. These are not just any garments but underwear to be worn by women flaunting their half disrobed bodies." Bimal went on to say that 600,000 Hindus in Britain were considering demonstrating outside shops that stock the underwear, which has already been taken off the shelves by Harrods. "The decision has been taken to remove the items from sale and they will no longer be available," said a spokesman for the Knightsbridge store. "We apologise to those customers who have been offended or stressed by the situation." Cavalli, meanwhile, is said to be shocked by the furore he has caused. Claiming the situation has arisen from an "innocent mistake", his rep said he was "passionate about India". "We obviously didn't realise this would cause offence," he said. (June 10 2004, AM)

i think you should be able to put whatever picture you want anywhere you want...if people don't like it they can show their displeasure by refusing to purchase the item...i am quite sure that if the item doesn't sell...you won't see the image displayed that way again...

i am quite sure cavalli meant no harm...even if i think it's a dumb idea...

I think that designers are too willing to pillage other cultures for ideas and often do not respect, or even know much about, the culture whose symbols they are making use of. Perhaps with a little cultural sensitivity training, these types of situations could be avoided in the future. :ninja: :innocent:

you know...it's fine for some people to have their beliefs...but if i don't share those beliefs...then why can't i wear an image of jesus or krishna or mickey mouse on my panties...?...how is that hurting anyone>??... to me there is no difference...

it seems like there are a LOT of much more pressing issues that people should concern themselves with...imo...

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 10th, 2004 - 12:04 pm
you know...it's fine for some people to have their beliefs...but if i don't share those beliefs...then why can't i wear an image of jesus or krishna or mickey mouse on my panties...?...how is that hurting anyone>??... to me there is no difference...

it seems like there are a LOT of much more pressing issues that people should concern themselves with...imo...
i completely agree.

these days theres always something of offense.
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Jun 10th, 2004 - 6:00 pm
I think that designers are too willing to pillage other cultures for ideas and often do not respect, or even know much about, the culture whose symbols they are making use of. Perhaps with a little cultural sensitivity training, these types of situations could be avoided in the future. :ninja: :innocent:
i absolutely agree
i wouldnt like to see Christian, Islamic or Kabbala symbolisms printed on panties,

MERCY no need to go that far to make a buck :rolleyes:

I think it is offensive to a hindu, well, I don't wipe my **** with a bible now do I?

I remember when I was wearing this D&G top with a saint or someting printed on it, I got a very bad look from someone at a club that obviously wasn't American... I wasn't also in the best mood of understanding what the hell he told me, but I knew it wasn't preety...

I dunno what to say about this though... it' just a print on fabric...

why is it ok when it's around your neck and shocking when it's printed on your underwear?
because neck is good and dick is baaaaaad????
I don't buy all that 'private parts are impure' crap

Originally posted by article
"This is outrageous," Bimal Krishna Das, secretary of the UK National Council of Hindu Temples, told the Daily Mail. "The underwear is extremely offensive. Hinduism is a very tolerant religion, but this crosses a line. The deities are deemed holy and worshipped by millions of Hindus all across the globe. These are not just any garments but underwear to be worn by women flaunting their half disrobed bodies."
Secretary Bimal Krishna Das is full of sh*t. Cavalli's sexy undies completely embody established depictionism. I mean, look:

India31.jpg

Furthermore, even Indian designers themselves use the symbols:

00011.L.JPG

In any event, I support what softgrey said!

i don't mean to offend but i think that hindus have a lot more to worry about than cavalli panties...india has one of the worst reputations as far as womens rights (it is the hindu tradition that has lead to countless child rapes among other injustices to women)...yes, these panties are pretty much pointless, but this is just too much when there are HUGE issues that do need political attention even within the hinduism.

Originally posted by mikeijames@Jun 10th, 2004 - 7:31 pm
i don't mean to offend but i think that hindus have a lot more to worry about than cavalli panties...india has one of the worst reputations as far as womens rights (it is the hindu tradition that has lead to countless child rapes among other injustices to women)...yes, these panties are pretty much pointless, but this is just too much when there are HUGE issues that do need political attention even within the hinduism.
What a load of bollocks

Originally posted by oceanharlot@Jun 10th, 2004 - 1:20 pm
I have underwear with Jesus on them... :ninja:
you're FABULOUS!!!...i :heart: it!!!...

:flower:

I don't find that at all offensive. I remember when Dolce and Gabbana had the Madonna and the blessed child printed on dresses, it probably got a similar response from Catholics, but it's not like they, or Cavalli for that matter, did it in an intentionally offensive way, if you know what I mean. I guess it's just because I'm a bit more open minded about religion then others, but I can see why it may offend others to have religious symbols on clothes, it just doesn't happen to offend me.

Originally posted by Spike413@Jun 10th, 2004 - 4:58 pm
I remember when Dolce and Gabbana had the Madonna and the blessed child printed on dresses
Maybe that's the saint I have printed on my D&G top :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->