Celebs vs. Models on Magazine Covers

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by shajopri, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Whitelinen

Whitelinen New Member

Well, the celebrity culture has changed, and is taking more control...but you are asking a good question; why is it so? Why did we suddenly become so celebrity obsessed?

2. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

^Since the media has been shoving it down our throats.

Models nowadays don't have any personality.

3. Whitelinen

Whitelinen New Member

I associate models with a strong personality with celebrities - ie the Supers were models with personality, but also part of the same celebrity crap.

But why did media start "shoving celebrity culture down our throats"? There must have been a market for that, where did that come from?

4. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Exactly, and that's why I stated celebrities are more relatable... since the end of the supermodel era, celebs have taken over in a way, it seems.

5. marsmars

marsmars New Member

It depends on the magazine, the celebrity, the model, what are they trying to channel your attention towards?

Let's not forget: A lot of celebrities used to be models. (and quite a few models are celebrities).

#45 marsmars, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by moderator the_nightingale: Oct 29, 2006
  6. ***Bianca***

***Bianca*** Member

agreed! i don't like to see celebrities on magazines like w or vogue but i don't mind seeing them on glamour, elle, etc.

7. Owen Bruce

Owen Bruce New Member

Didn't the US Vogue September 2005 cover with the models on it sell the most magazines of the year?

8. Erin

^ Wow. I'd be interested to know.

9. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Well-Known Member

10. OriginalSin

OriginalSin New Member

I think it did but let's not forget 1) it was the Sept issue. That usually sells better than most other issues anyway (except maybe March) 2) Liya Kebede's cover, May 2005, was actually one of the lowest selling issues in recent years I believe, which is (at least I think) far more telling than the sales of a September issue.

I'd be interested to know how well Linda E's issue did. On the one hand she is a model, on the other, she is one of the supers, and basically has celeb status as a result. So did her cover sell more like Liya's? more like a celeb's? or somewhere in between?

11. ysljunkie

ysljunkie New Member

I get it if the celeb is fashion foward the should be on the cover but just putting any jane dow actress on the cover has got to stop. some mainstream mag should start the model movement again so that all others will follow.

12. Erin

^ I couldn't agree more. Magazine covers have become such a promotional tool for actresses. Look at Jessica Simpson... she shouldn't be on anything. And though I love Sandy, Sandra Bullock isn't exactly worthy of a Vogue cover. And though she has her spectacular fashion moments, Lindsay Lohan has had beyond her share of covers.

13. _hannah

_hannah New Member

Oh god did you see paris hilton on paris november vogue omg. What the hell ?§§?

14. FashionJunkie

FashionJunkie Active Member

I have no problem whatsoever. Models are more fashion material, besides that's their job, but celebs sell more, because people know them, they recognise their face, how many people do you think know Trentini, or Stam, or Daria, or Ward?
    I'm not sick of celebs on the cover because Vogue Hellas has always models, Vogue Paris most of the time and UK sometimes, only US has celebs all the time. :rolleyes:

(Of course some celebs DO bother me:doh: )

15. m.j.

m.j. New Member

if vogue or cosmo have 12 issues per year, there should be 10 covers with models and 2 specials with movie stars to promote some big movie

16. _hannah

_hannah New Member

It doesn't bother me too. but i think that Paris Vogue has a high reputation and ( sorrry for hilton fans ) but i don't think she's appropriated for this kind of magazines...

17. shoexgal

shoexgal New Member

Bring back the models!

18. imagensfashions

I agree entirely. I hate celebrities in the layer of the fashionable magazines. Is for that magazines of celebrities exist. A specific case as a oscar winner, or some actress that launch some tendency, but of the contrary, I am entirely against.

19. gr77

gr77 New Member

I don't care if it's a model or a celebrity on the cover as long as it's someone I find beautiful/interesting.
    Most models nowdays however are quite weird (even ugly) looking and leave me completely cold.
    So I would rather have Sienna or Keira or Natalie ,etc on the cover than say Lara Stone or Sasha (who I'm sick of seeing in eds anyway).

Of course there are some celebrities that I'll never understand how they got to be on covers (e.g. Sandra Bullock)

20. Erin

I agree, really.