Celebs vs. Models on Magazine Covers

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by shajopri, Aug 11, 2003.

1. notmanons

notmanons New Member

Why is there such a big deal over a model being on the cover of US Vogue?

I must admit I used to complain about how Vogue US should put a model on the cover...

But I was just thinking to myself a while ago..

Why does it matter?!

I guess it's that a majority of people on tFS love models, including me and we spend countless hours on tFS praising and glorifying their never-ending beauty...well most of us.

I mean, maybe it's nice for us to see our favourite model on the cover of Vogue US but let's face it...

22,000 (im just guessing numbers here) of us long to see a model on the cover but then..theres the rest of the world who probably aren't as aware as us on models etc... they're just looking to see next seasons trends etc.

As there are celebrities on the cover of Vogue US, they are a lot more recognisable to people than say...Lily Donaldson..:ermm:

Models aren't such a big thing today, they're stereotyped as 'dumb, conceited and anorexic'. Not many people know that this is just a stereotype or maybe not..

With a celebrity on the cover it obviously sells more and more approachable to everyone...

Just stating my opinion...:blush:

#81 notmanons, Feb 9, 2008
    Last edited by moderator : Feb 9, 2008
  2. Manuva

Manuva congratulations, nerds.

For me, anyway, because it's a fashion magazine, not a promotional showcase for whatever new film that actress has.

3. Mr-Dale

Mr-Dale Unveil Yourself....

I agree that tFS wants it because they love models and find celebs 'boring' often. I am guilty of that as well. BUT if we view this problem from within the industry it's a completely different story.

In the past, the covers of Vogue US belonged to the model, there was no place for celebs. Somehow the celebs took over the cover, but one thing remained. Vogue US is still one of the biggest fashion magazines out there...people still refer to it as the fashion bible. Anna Wintour is the most important and influencial person in the fashion business, like it or not. If a model lands her butt on the cover of the number one fashion bible and has the official approval of La Wintour in its biggest way possible, then that pretty much confirms your status in the modeling world and even brings it to another level, no?

4. unipine

unipine New Member

5. Gaultier_Bandit

Gaultier_Bandit Active Member

I think allot of the people devoted to fashion, and people who read Vogue religiously are more into models than they are to stars. Thats my take on things...dont get me wrong I love me a little SJP, Gwen, LL, ONCE in a while, but not every single month, or in every single mag (not just Vogue). In the beggining it was new...so I was stoked, but its gotten to a point where it becomes boring and uninteresting (especially if the star is releasing 2-3 movies a year= 2-3 covers). I think we just need some type of change for now, to keep things interesting for readers.

6. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

Source | The New York Times | Sunday March 9th

7. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ Thanks for posting that article - it was an interesting read. And so very true.

8. sidrasgaya

sidrasgaya New Member

I'd prefer models in the covers of fashion mags, because celebs already have the celebrity mags (at least here), and fashion is not about celebrities, because most of them don't have any fashion sense or style, just pay an stylist to choose for them (and thanks God they do that) so, why giving a cover to someone who is not really into fashion? I guess money is the answer, because actresses sell more mags than models, probably... and also because models at this time don't know or can't be also celebrities as Claudia, Linda, Cindy, Naomi... were.

9. scriptgirl

scriptgirl New Member

I disagree. There are no interesting models anymore-the ones that really stand out-Liya, Chanel Iman, Noemie Lenoir-they are few and far between. Celebs are much better on fashion covers

10. Lisa~~~*

Lisa~~~* Member

How different the VOGUE team in each country select celebs or models for their cover?

So far I knows

UK - mostly has to be famous British celebs or models. Other than that has to be an established actress or model.

FRANCE - hottest model at time and the iconic one.

ITALY - newest and hottest comer, most conceptual cover compare to all the others.

US - 90% has to be a Hollywood stardom, the rest is the same as UK.

Anything to add ??:rolleyes::unsure:

#90 Lisa~~~*, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited by moderator bride: Jun 16, 2008
  11. tocceve

tocceve New Member

Germany puts famouis actresses and musicians on the cover. It's very rare that a newer model gets a cover they usually go for the famous German models and established models.

And I disagree about Italian Vogue. Meisel selects the models he likes and sure it's for certain that he gives some newcomers a chance if he likes them but he also gives his favourites from past seasons (Gemma, Karen, Amanda etc) covers.

#91 tocceve, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited by moderator pamiegirl: Jun 16, 2008
  12. Street_a_Licious

Street_a_Licious Active Member

it's less each mags fault (like, everyone blames US Vogue for basically only putting actresses and singers up front) than just it going with the audience. the US is celeb obsessed, so celebs make it on the cover. easy equation. parts of each country's culture goes into the covers.

13. yalil

yalil New Member

I've noticed that Vogue Nippon tends to favor models who look like anime characters: Gemma, Sasha, Lily, Snejana, Vlada, Stam.

14. iluvjeisa

iluvjeisa clever ain't wise

^Yep, immaculate taste ;)

15. sassyposh

sassyposh New Member

i rather see models work the covers than those overrated celebrities.

Models know how to work it and they do it best

16. scriptgirl

scriptgirl New Member

I think celebs are more interesting. These days, all the models look alike. Few stand out.

17. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

I continue to see models gracing "foreign" covers unlike the US covers which only model celebrities.

I'm tired of it, but maybe that's just the US... we don't know models like we know celebrities.

18. scriptgirl

scriptgirl New Member

And the reason that we don't know models is that nowadays they are all bland

19. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

Agreed. IMO many of the current models are just vapid eyed creatures playing dressup... very few actually fascinate or inspire.

We have finally agreed on something scriptgirl :woot: :lol: :flower:

20. scriptgirl

scriptgirl New Member

You don't know how happy that makes me. No fooling.