Celine S/S 2019 Paris

What the actual fck!! He's got to be trolling at this stage. Lmao!! To borrow a phrase from the Gucci critics on TFS .... the guy designed himself into a corner! I almost want to send Michele a link to this collection with the subject: 'This is your future unless you wake up, NOW.'
And the Céline ladies better rush out there to find whatever they can lay their hands on from Philo's collection because just Slimane just cut their supply off. Either that or, throw yourself in Clare's camp. Lol!

This looks like a Saint Laurent adieu which never saw the light of day. At least he was truthful about one thing - it IS complete departure from Philo. Lol. Didn't quite expect it to turn out like this, but oh well. The women's looks are direct copies from his SLP tenure. It would've been vaguely fine had Vaccarello not made a career of copying him (doesn't he know this? How out of touch can one be?) So effectively we now have two Saint Laurents???? My idea of a nightmare!

I am now ready to entertain the rumour which popped up recently that someone else ghost designed Dior Homme!

Edit: Actually, no! The more I look at it the more frustrated I get. Didn't anyone, himself or the execs, paused to think about the existing clientele that's been keeping the brand thriving for years? There's not even a case for 'creative liberty' here because Celine is not Margiela Artisanal! It's a brand which is supposed to service an audience. I'm shocked that the execs would alienate their loyal supporters like this. Hope it all goes up in flames, to be honest.

With some difference, Michele designes for Gucci . Hedi designes same and same but for the different brands.
This said.
At the beigining i wasn't a bif fan of SL by Hedi but after few collections i started to like what he did in SL.
So i don't know, sincerely, i like Hedi but i am not sure about his Céline.

Okay kids, reviews are in!

PARIS, SEPTEMBER 29, 2018
by SARAH MOWER

It was telling that Hedi Slimane’s first press release for his Celine takeover emphasized this fact: “The entire wardrobe worn by the male models is unisex, and therefore will also be available for women.” On a night which was fraught with the separation anxiety suffered by the clan of professional women who have relied on Phoebe Philo’s instincts for Celine, that post-show information was pause for thought. Disruption as a result of the regime change was fully expected. But to take a proper look at Slimane’s design history is to recall that he was the one who reconfigured menswear tailoring—skinny and cool—at Dior Homme in a way that had also had women knocking at the door to order.

That seismic Slimane-led fashion-quake was just after the millennium; about the same time that some of the army of new models he cast for his Celine debut were—by appearances—babies. A different generation has been growing up—Gen Z, which is even more accepting of cross-shopping across gendered lines than some of Slimane’s first customers. The show he put on tonight was decisively pitched at them, in line with the much more famous commercial mark he made during his second coming when he rebooted Saint Laurent as a massively influential brand between 2012 and 2016.

In this much-anticipated third coming at Celine, Slimane proved in 96 looks that his laser focus on his music-club vision of youth has not wavered. Titled “Paris La Nuit”, it dealt out super-short glam dresses for girls: sparkly, pouffed, big-shouldered eighties silhouettes of the sort Slimane showed in his exit homage to Yves Saint Laurent. Anyone of a mind to argue with the extreme length should take a look at schoolgirls in London—thigh-high skirts amongst teens are the uncontroversial norm. That proposition will surely carry internationally, across young Hollywood and Asia, an appeal deliberately designed to speak to teens over the heads of elders.

But perhaps those girls will be just as keen to share the wardrobe the boys were walking. This was the introduction of menswear at Celine. It’s timely. The biggest boom in fashion spending in the last few years has been in the explosive growth of a new, brand-obsessed male teen market. So far, its focus has been on sneakers and streetwear, but with Kim Jones at Dior Homme and Virgil Abloh driving Louis Vuitton menswear, a new front is being opened in tailoring. In this new venture, that might be where Slimane’s skinny-suited, narrow-tied tailoring could score big. There was not a sneaker in sight. If there really is a swing away from hoodies and track-pants in progress, Slimane’s proposition—classic New Wave tailoring—could be where kids go next.

There’s a pitched battle to reach that new consumer going on. Slimane’s debut was very clearly the opening salvo in the commercial turf war between Celine and its LVMH owner, and Saint Laurent, owned by rival conglomerate Kering. Only time, and marketing gazillions, will tell who wins the competition for relevance.

And as for the Philophile sisterhood? Ostensibly, Slimane’s aesthetic world-view doesn’t include the class of women who were prepared to pay full price for anything Philo designed. However, you never know at retail. Just as it was right at the beginning during Slimane’s reign at Dior Homme, maybe he’ll have grown women slinking in on their own at his Celine—or with their sons and daughters—to buy a suit.
vogue.com

Thank you Friedman for sacrificing your next invitation at Céline in order to tell the truth :flower:

Hedi Slimane’s Celine: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
Rejecting the female gaze for baby doll poufs and skinny suits — and other clothes we’ve seen before.

PARIS — On Friday night in Paris, as the moon rose over the gold dome of Napoleon’s tomb in Les Invalides and a giant black box specially constructed in its backyard loomed in the shadows, Hedi Slimane, the much-admired, much-decried designer who left Yves Saint Laurent in 2016 and whose ghost had been haunting fashion ever since, made his return to the catwalk.

He did it under the auspices of the house of Celine, and he did it with Celine-branded Champagne miniatures and a (literal) drumroll, thanks to members of the Republican Guard. He did it with a specially constructed backdrop of his own design made from transmuting silver squares that looked like they had beamed in from planet Krypton. He did it with 96 looks on concave, skinny boys and cranky, baby-faced girls.

And fashion, which had been on the edge of its seat, fell off. Déjà vu! It was disorienting: what year was this? But at least some questions had been answered.

For those who, upon hearing that Mr. Slimane had been named Lord Chief Overseer (O.K.: artistic, creative and image director) of Celine, feared that the days when this brand defined what it meant to be a smart, adult, self-sufficient, ambitious and elegantly neurotic woman were at an end — you were right.

For those who worried that maybe, after reinventing Dior Homme in his own Thin Dark Duke image, and Saint Laurent in the shape of dissolute morning-after Los Angeles teenagers, perhaps Mr. Slimane did not have another brand vision in him — you were right, too.

And for those who asked whether brand Hedi would take precedence over brand Celine — well, yup.

None of this was really surprising. Nor was the fact that the collection was almost entirely in black and white, plus a bit of gold and silver, with a dash of green and red thrown in. Or that for girls, it mostly consisted of super short 1980s baby doll prom dresses with metallic poofs, motorcycle boleros and some very slick tailoring (oh — and one pair of baggy acid-washed jeans with a little fur chubby).

Or that for boys, it was the tailoring again: narrow pleated trousers hiked high on the waist and cropped in at the ankle; razor-sharp jackets, both double- and single-breasted, long and short; skinny ties. Or that the distinguishing characteristic between the two was mainly black trapezoidal glasses for the boys and little haute flea-market fascinator veils for the girls. Plus some nicely bourgeois chain handbags. Mr. Slimane has done all this before.

It was the essence of his YSL, which he rechristened Saint Laurent, just as he rechristened Céline as Celine, dropping the accent. In both cases, Mr. Slimane was going back to an earlier incarnation of the logo, because — well, it was never entirely clear. Because he could.

It sold very well for YSL. Celine’s owners are probably assuming it will do the same for them. If they have to sacrifice all that the brand used to stand for in the process, so be it. It’s fashion! Things change.

Except not Mr. Slimane. Generally, when designers hop from heritage house to heritage house they make some nod to that heritage. Celine’s has been fuzzier than most, granted — it doesn’t have the same logo totems or design iconography. And when Mr. Slimane’s predecessor, Phoebe Philo, arrived, she, too, swept away what had been before. Remember that? Didn’t think so. It wasn’t much, which was why she could.

But she gave Celine an identity that for women meant a great deal, because it was clearly for them, not an image of them caught in a black and white photo of back alleys and nightclubs and the damage done after dusk.

And it does beg the question: Why not just give Mr. Slimane a brand under his own name? That’s effectively what’s happened here. Why not just call it what it is? Why hedge your bets with a pseudonym?

For a while, it was possible to hold out hope that Mr. Slimane might have lived up to all the hype around his reputation. That instead of repeating himself, he really would have been able to evolve his sense of form into something new; something that spoke more generously to those with multidimensional lives. It’s rare for a designer to be able to change how people use dress to express themselves more than once in their career — Yves Saint Laurent (the man) did it, but he was an outlier. It turns out Mr. Slimane isn’t. He had his moment. It mattered. Now he’s just reliving it.

Will the rest of us want to, also? The whippetlike suiting, which will be available equally for women as well as men (though the treatment does not apply to dresses:( yes. But the pouty, infantilizing rest of it? The lack of diversity of any kind? No, thank you.

Two years ago when Mr. Slimane departed fashion, the world was a different place. Women were different. Hell, they were different a few days ago. They have moved on. But he has not. And it meant that, despite an audience crammed with rock’s hipster elite, the lyrics that most came to mind were Mamma Mia! Here we go again.

NYTIMES

A Dark New Dawn at Celine

Hedi Slimane’s instincts for the moment have dulled, but his army of ‘Slimaniacs’ will surely canter towards Celine stores in blissful ignorance of the brand’s recent glories.
By Tim Blanks September 29, 2018 08:41

PARIS, France — There was no point in LVMH trying to replace Phoebe Philo at Celine. That kind of lightning doesn’t strike twice, and nobody wanted a pallid simulacrum. So, smartly, LVMH went seeking some counter-intuitive heat. They came up with free agent Hedi Slimane, trailing clouds of glory from Saint Laurent. Made no sense in the context of Phoebe’s Celine, but the two were so different that surely nobody would be silly enough to force a comparison. Except, of course, the global army of devoted Philophiles. Well, hey-ho to them because this was a new dawn, and LVMH was clearly confident that the Slimaniacs would balance them out.

A new dawn? It’s been a couple of years since Slimane was last feeding the catwalk. The planets have re-aligned. The renaissance of Gucci and Balenciaga, for one thing. The capitulation of the fashion industry to streetwear for another. And the continuing ascent of Saint Laurent in Slimane’s absence for yet another. There’s a lot of literature that says how hard it is to see your baby happy with another parent. You’re always going to want to show your baby who’s its daddy. That’s the beginning of more than a few horror movies.

And so it was with Hedi Slimane’s presentation on Friday night. It was a horror movie. Slimane is a genius impresario, a master manipulator who can turn the deletion of the accent on the letter "e" in the word Celine into a media event. Who can elevate the launch of a bag your granny might have carried sixty years ago into The Second Coming Of The Accessory. Who can build The Biggest Tent You’ve Ever Seen With The Best Sound System Ever for his debut. Slimane has always had impeccable taste in music. French band La Femme, who’ve worked with him before, provided the soundtrack. Likewise, Slimane’s taste in art. His collaborator here was Swiss-American artist Christian Marclay, most famous for his enveloping 24-hour piece called The Clock. Marclay was responsible on Friday for the vintage comic visuals re-interpreted in sequins on jackets, parkas and pouf skirts. (The simple fact that they were more than monochrome made them show stand-outs.)

Then there’s Slimane’s impeccable instinct for dramatic mise-en-scene: the gigantic tent in which he staged his comeback, the fabulous mirrored churn of his backdrop, part-Conrad Shawcross, part-“Lady From Shanghai.” And his extravagant invitation, the book with its tear-out posters celebrating decades of Parisian nightlife, dark, decadent, lodging his Celine firmly in the city of its origin, in the time of day he loves best. “Paris La Nuit” Slimane called his collection. “Journal Nocturne de la Jeunesse Parisienne.” A seductive notion that has shaped the artistic endeavours of writers, musicians, artists throughout the ages. But all of Hedi’s Herculean efforts, however seductive, were engaged in the elevation of… what?

The same old skinny black suits and skinny ties, the same old hiked-high-as-you-care dresses, the same old tiny bombers and bikers and Mod and Factory and New Wave and No Wave… it was frustrating because LVMH, Celine’s parent, has clearly thrown a tsunami of money against this launch. But what we saw suggested that Slimane’s instincts for the moment had dulled. His influence shaped high street concerns like the Kooples and Zadig&Voltaire, not to mention Saint Laurent subsequent to his departure. And all his rock-a-biddy boys and girls were clustered hopefully in the audience on Friday night. Everyone’s fervent hope was that LVMH’s deep pockets would help him surf that past to a glittering future. Sadly, not on this evidence. In fact, the counter-intuitive ploy of placing Slimane at Celine turned into something of an own goal for LVMH. A brand that was once thoroughly identified with a peerless instinct for what women want in fashion all of a sudden looked like a gust of toxic masculinity. And not simply because Slimane struck an overpowering menswear chord — even if it was specified as “unisex” — at a brand that made its billions addressing women with a very particular sensitivity.

Caveat: I saw a leopard print coat sail past and it reminded me that, even at the height of Hedi’s dictatorial Saint Laurent spectaculars, any old person could walk into the stores and find something fabulous that fitted them. It was always all about the merchandising. So, on Friday night, as a hundred thousand Philophiles beat their breasts and tore their garments, a sad fact reasserted itself. The modern world’s short memory doesn’t give a rat’s *** for heritage, and Slimaniacs will canter towards Celine stores in blissful ignorance of the brand’s recent glories.

tim blanks / bof

Now we have Hedi's design in 2 D , Hedi by Vaccarello for YSL and Celine by Hedi for Celine.
I like Hedi.
I don't know if all this will sells so good as his SL before. ( i like him so i hope for him)
But it is so Hedi, nothing from Céline before. But if his first Céline will sells good than he did /does everything right.
It is an industry and atl leas the revenues are talking. ( at this point we can't wait of any new creative ideas or similar,
who want take the risk to change something if the good old seels good , in this paricular case, if the Hedi under Céline brand name will sells good )

Until the very end of the teasing phase I was sincerely hoping the collection wouldn't be that predictible. So when I saw it I realized they actually did that and was overly pissed.

However thinking twice about it, the move made sense.

LVMH is at war against Kering and want to sink their brands including SL among the top sellers.

They hired Hedi so he could claim back his aesthetics that is now generously used by Kering via Vaccarello. Hiring the original talent is actually is great idea business-wise and since they were not going to give Slimane his own label (LVMH is not that risk-taking), Céline was the house to sacrifice.

Obviously they knew this was going to piss a lot of people but actually people forget very easily in Fashion so I'm pretty sure it will sell well.

Also I can see that in the near future, Loewe will capture more of Céline by Philo's aesthetics to merge it with the current Loewe and satisfy the mourning Philo-ers. As aesthetics-wise both brands are about conceptual/architectural femininity.

That Vanessa Friedman review was SAVAGE, and I love it!
Hedi's ego is next level. It's a shame his actual talent is so limited.

The commercial success is almost right here, but not because of Hedi himself. LVMH apparently invest all the coins of the year on this, so something will come back in terms of money.

The problem is that is 2018. A camp for the people who loves his designs still exists of course, but so much things happened since he left SL. Vetments happened. Gucci happened. Dior by MCG happened. Zara consolidation happened. We almost in a new decade and I dont think that people will be interested in a dated aesthetic that didn't evolved one bit. Its a totally different landscape.

IDK if I can talk about this on tFS but all this could easily be a part of a feminist and diversity conversation and I dont that this man can handle it and get away with in the world that we are living now.

I can´t stand so much ***-licking at Vogue review!

Yeah the nerve.. "Celine's daughters and sons' , really b!tch? A brand for working independent women in their 20s/30s is now matronly? Sarah Mower is a spineless jellyfish who just wants to make sure she has her seasonal invite. The other critics which called it out like Tim Blanks were keeping it real and knew what the real tea is.

Yeah the nerve.. "Celine's daughters and sons' , really b!tch? A brand for working independent women in their 20s/30s is now matronly? Sarah Mower is a spineless jellyfish who just wants to make sure she has her seasonal invite. The other critics which called it out like Tim Blanks were keeping it real and knew what the real tea is.

I would *really* like to see the kind of girl in her 20s to 30s with as much financial independence that she can afford a wardrobe full of Celine - Now, her spoiled counterpart that largely relies on her parents generosity might however buy a piece here and there from Hedi...

^^
It will sell, for sure but is it going to make 3 billion? Can such a limited vision reach a big market?
Sincerely, not . I don't think this kind of collection can reach a big market and make 3 billion.
YSL *against" Céline? YSL as brand is more popular than Céline , the people worldwide will surely choose YSL not Céline if they are not Hedi's devotees.
But who knows? But i don't think they will reach such a big market.

All the Conde/Vogue reviewing on this one is lame ***. Mower should be ashamed. Particularly as Raf pioneered that male skinny silhouette and Hedi was a self-confessed fan. She doesn't even know her history and get her facts right above.

What wouldn't Conde Nast do for a few more dollars right now? From Philipp Plein to Hedi Slimane they've chosen their band on the Titanic....

Bravo Friedman!

I would *really* like to see the kind of girl in her 20s to 30s with as much financial independence that she can afford a wardrobe full of Celine - Now, her spoiled counterpart that largely relies on her parents generosity might however buy a piece here and there from Hedi...

I can assure you there are many women in their late 20s and especially their 30s who have well paid jobs (in law, finance, IT, have their own companies) who bought (and many who saved for) Celine pieces.

Hedi Slimane has blown up Celine. But to what end?

By Robin Givhan
September 29 at 9:35 AM

PARIS — Hedi Slimane has obliterated Celine — at least the version of the brand that most people have come to know, the one focused on hyper-discreet minimalism with a hint of cool-girl flair.

For his debut at the house, the new creative director replaced its award-winning aesthetic with the Hedi Slimane signature style, driven by youth culture, indie rock and sulking adolescence. It is the style that he brought to Saint Laurent and nurtured at Dior Homme. In a single evening, he has blown up everything that Celine was. Flushed it clean. His name might not be on the label, but in every other respect the brand might as well be called Hedi Slimane.

The spring 2019 runway show Friday night began with the sounds of a single drummer from the Republican Guard tapping out a percussive rhythm at the end of a darkened runway at Les Invalides. Normally tasked with protecting heads of state and guarding important public buildings, this loan drummer signified the stature of the French brand founded in 1945 by Céline Vipiana and her husband Robert. A light screen flashed with the image of shattered mirror and the cubist reflection of a young woman in a black-and-white polka-dot dress could just barely be made out.

Yes, something important had just been shattered. To what end?

Slimane is a designer who reaches deep into the culture, tugging on all sorts of strands from the world of music and art for his inspiration. Yet at a time when so much is roiling the culture, both politically and socially, Celine doesn’t reflect any of that. It doesn’t hint at the rise of women’s voices or the growing political power of youth. In a show titled Night Journal of Paris Youth, his runway did not reflect the diverse mix of people that one regularly sees on the streets of Paris.

For a designer who is so good at upending the status quo and agitating the gatekeepers (at least those in fashion), his work here is cautious. It’s familiar. Slimane has created a safe space at a time when a rebel yell would be welcomed.

When that first model appeared on the runway, she was wearing a little black pillbox hat with a tiny flourish of netting. Her dress looked like an enormous bow: a fluffy black clamshell of a dress covered in white polka dots. She was followed by skinny young man with a blond bowl haircut. He was wearing black sunglasses and a slim black suit with a white shirt and skinny black tie. They looked like a more polished, grown-up version of the idealized youth that have long populated Slimane’s runways. Now, instead of looking as though they have stumbled in at dawn from a night of debauchery, we have caught them on their way out for the evening. They’ll be indulging in bottle service rather than shots, sitting in the VIP section instead of standing in the general admission mosh pit. They will be adulting.

The 96-piece runway collection was almost entirely black and white except for a single glittery red mini-dress, a bright green cocktail dress and occasional flashes of silver and gold. Slimane also included several bomber jackets with elaborate, colorfully embroidered patterns created by artist Christian Marclay.

Slimane’s tailoring is sharp but not severe. He crops his trousers at the ankle for women. And with the menswear, which he launches with this collection, he shortens several of the jackets to the waist and creates a long lean silhouette with others. And while there wasn’t an overt display of gender-blurring on the runway, much of the suiting and the outerwear, in particular, would look at home on anyone, however they might identify.

Though Celine has had other designers since its founder, including American Michael Kors, it was Phoebe Philo who transformed the brand in the modern era. She had a keen understanding of women’s lives — well, some women’s lives — and what they needed from their clothes to make those lives a little less complicated.

Slimane doesn’t seem particularly interested in addressing the mundane issues in a woman’s life. His fashion is not here to solve your problems. Save your problems for your therapist. His designs are about his vision. They are not welcoming. They exist behind the velvet rope. They are the after after party.

As a lead-up to the new Celine, Slimane redesigned the brand’s logo, which essentially meant removing the accent. For weeks, he has been teasing the new collection on Instagram with pictures of his first handbags for the house and photographs of young, androgynous models staring into the camera and looking vaguely dissolute.

All of which is to say that Slimane had prepped and taunted his audience, cranking up curiosity and expectations. So a crowd of onlookers turned out to watch the comings and goings. Some 60 musicians were in his audience, ranging from Lady Gaga to members of Daft Punk and Franz Ferdinand, along with actress Catherine Deneuve and designers Karl Lagerfeld and Virgil Abloh.

Ultimately, the clothes at Celine are a continuation of what Slimane was doing at Saint Laurent — a style that proved to be lucrative for the house. During his tenure there, Slimane generated double-digit, year-to-year growth. But nearly two years have passed since Slimane left Saint Laurent. In that short time, the fashion industry has changed and so has the broader culture.

Slimane has held his ground.
washingtonpost.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->