Central Saint Martins (CSM), London

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by travolta, Jul 11, 2005.

1. educo

educo Active Member

If you're an international student, you can bypass UCAS and apply directly to any college you want at the same time. I think the reason they ask us for so much more work is because they don't require an interview from an international student. They rather assess you from the portfolio alone. I have asked if I can still get an interview even if I was able to make it anytime they wanted, but they just glossed over that question and said they rather judge it on your work alone.Where are you MUXU?

2. jefei

jefei New Member

my frd has got in... but it's kinda weird...
    on fri, there were like 10-20 gals being interviewed at the same time
    half of them had got interviewed and half just sent in their portfolio...
    some of the gals that got the interviews was rejected but all gals that sent in were in...

and my frd told me that, last yr.. when applicants got interviewed, they will be sent to two doors, one when you open it, it'll have the word WELCOME and the other one's GO HOME

it's so weird, huh!? So reality TV........

3. MUXU

MUXU New Member

educo, im from toronto, canada.

haha...wow...how strange of an interview. i suppose those girls that got interviewed didnt so so swell. your friend got in on the spot?! T_T
    i wonder...if they are gonna make a reality tv show from this. like follow 10 or 15 students from their start of portfolio till they get an interview, either rejected of got in. they make reality tv shows from anything now days anyways.

4. Hye Park Lover

Hye Park Lover New Member

That's strange. Not exactly the fairest way to judge who gets in, as a huge part of it is based on lucky, not talent or potential. I'd hate to be turned out from persuing your dream career direction, just because I'd opened the wrong door, or applied by the wrong method.

5. VICTIM

VICTIM Active Member

when you apply you dont get an interview automatically you drop off your portfolio then they choose if they want to interview you. when i went i was with ike 30 people 8 got interviewed and i was the only one to be accepted

6. VICTIM

VICTIM Active Member

what the hell are you talking about? they judge on portfolio! its got nothing to do with luck!

7. MUXU

MUXU New Member

^well...there is a very small chance that is base on luck. for example...the person looking at your portfolio is a horrible mood vs a person that is in a great mood....or...your portfolio being in a bunch that have dreadful artworks vs being in a bunch with equal or better artworks than yours.

victim...you are scaring me :mellow: sigh
    i really dont know if i have "it" =T

8. VICTIM

VICTIM Active Member

if the work from the group is alll good then you'll all get an interview, if its all awful then none of you will.
    besides the tutors are allways in a bad mood :lol:

9. Vanessavz

Vanessavz New Member

I'm starting the fashion folio course this april .. Has anyone taken it before and can tell me what to expect?? Also, is anyone else here going, I want some friends ; - 0 !

10. uberQuirkiness

uberQuirkiness New Member

^ i'm applying to csm too! but for foundations... i'll be your friend, if i get accepted, and if i go there (my parents want me to go to parsons! :ninja: why? why? :yuk: )

11. taz

taz MUSE

Short Courses

have anyone experinced the CSM short courses during summer or easter ?
    I'm planning to go there:rolleyes:

12. Neddie

Neddie New Member

I am going there to in the summer! But I haven't got any experience with it so far...:)

13. Vanessavz

Vanessavz New Member

wooo yay :flower: B) skip parsons!! I dont know about parsons NY, but the parsons paris doesn't accept student loans ! That alone was a big reason for me not to go there !!

14. vogue_addiction

vogue_addiction New Member

Do the summer courses provide housing?

15. Hye Park Lover

Hye Park Lover New Member

I'm talking about the post two up from mine, #122:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/2779900-post122.html

Hence why I stated that it was "strange" because it's highly unlikely that that's how things are.

Your answer also comfirmed my doubts.

#135 Hye Park Lover, Feb 7, 2007
    Last edited by moderator : Feb 7, 2007
  16. jefei

jefei New Member

^^^^
    i think i've made a mistake here due to my poor eng.
    the "door" part is after the interview, it's just the way of telling the results...
    people did get interviewed and being judged on their portfolio

17. tinkyme

tinkyme New Member

hey... i just had my interview today with University of the Arts London and this lady (international admission person) offered me a place in foundation course at CSM and LCF. I have to make a decision by march so I just want some opinions about both colleges' foundation courses. She said that I have to be really sure that I want to do fashion design because foundation course at LCF is quite specific as it's pretty much all about fashion. But she kinda adviced me to go to CSM because I have a variety of differnt kinds of work and I'm interested in a lot of things. The first half of CSM foundation course will allow me to explore a range of different things and if I still wanna do fashion, I can choose to do the fashion pathway in the second half. But the thing is she told me that CSM has about 800 students in the foundation course and because there are so many people, I'm just wondering if foundation at CSM is a good choice ??

18. MUXU

MUXU New Member

i dont think it matters so much. it is only the foundation..and you have to re-apply again for the BA course a year later anyways.
    the lady has a point on the 'do you really want to go into fashion' thing. if you are really considering going into fashion...LCF doesnt sound so shabby..and the cost is cheaper than CSM. CSM sounds better though...hehe

what do you mean by 800 people O_O...you mean they only accept 800 or they have 800 already...oh crap

19. pomegranates

pomegranates New Member

the LCF foundation has a lot of people as well , its not just the csm course.

also, something you should consider is that if you choose the csm foundation, you may not be able to specialize for fashion later on in the course. How the course is structured is for most of the first term, you do a rotation of the 4 different departments - fine art, fahion and textiles, visual communication and 3DD (product design, jewelery etc). When that's over, you have to apply for which area you want to specialize in for the rest of the year. This isn't usually a problem if you want to do something like product design or sculpture, but fashion is very competitive. Maybe about 200 of the 800 (that's a lot! not sure if that's quite right?) will want to do fashion. At least 100 I'd say. But each class is restricted to approx 30 students. There are two Fashion classes so only about 60 people will be able to specialize in fashion for the rest of the course.

You get the picture right?

it's pretty crazy. While all the other classes are empty, there's a massive queue for the people who want to apply for fashion.
    There's lots of disappointments and some crying aswell.
    I've got friends who wanted to do fashion but are now doing painting or 3D design etc.
    But I kind of see it as getting you prepared for your ba application, which is a lot lot lot harder.
    Either you cant cope with the rejection and give up. Or you take it like a bitch and keep at it.

But after saying all that, the csm course is good. I'm doing it right now and its a lot of work but I'm really enjoying it. Think you have to be really self motivated. esp. for fashion.

LCF, I know lots of people who are doing the foundation and i've heard a mix of things. Some say they haven't learnt a thing. But then one of my friends, the amount of work she's done so far is ... uh , monumental ? (literally, as she has it all stacked up in a pile lol).

oh, and another thing I like about CSM is that I meet people from other creative fields aswell. Not just fashion related students... not that its such a bad thing ha

20. joobie_Bb

joobie_Bb New Member

I'm applying for FIT nyc for 2008 for a bachelors degree as an international mature age student. (as i'll be 21 next year), i only have a diploma in fashion business, but I'm currently employed in a fashion agency, does this improve my chances of getting into a bachelors degree in fashion merchandising? I've called but everyone is quite vague about the answers. because i've done a diploma, in Australia it means i can go into Year 2 of the course, but i'm not sure how it works in NYC.