Chanel ‘Gabrielle Essence’ Fragrance 2019 : Margot Robbie by Nick Knight

Discussion in 'Ad Campaigns' started by vogue28, Jul 16, 2019.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

2. RMDV

RMDV Active Member

I hate this lol. This doesn't read 'radiant' to me.
    You can't even tell what this is an ad for.

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Omg, I wish Chanel would stop with this 'reincarnation' crap. You don't need that angle to sell stuff to women. They value the brand as it is.

As for the image, it looks like something originally shot for Chanel Beauty, but got binned because it's too vague. Nick Knight gets a lot of love on this forum by default, but imo he takes one step forward and 3 backwards.

4. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Is this another Kate Moss 2019 cover?

5. HodanChloe

HodanChloe Active Member

Not the most flattering shot. Did they replace her with Kristen?

6. miyawaki

miyawaki Member

7. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Active Member

It doesn't even look like her, she looks more like the end result of doing morphthing from pictures of blonde, blue eyed Anna Jagodzinska type of models back in the day.

8. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I get why she is the face of a flanker but at the same time, I don’t get it.
    Obviously, Gabrielle was a success and so they are milking the thing endlessly...Like they are doing with Chance and N5. I just don’t like the « many girls for one franchise » thing.

I don’t know. I guess it works but I think Nick Knight did something similar for Tom Ford with Mica...The only difference was that it was black.

Seriously, Chanel should only collaborate with Jean Paul Goude for the fragrances. Or with directors...They are very involved in cinema, they should go for it.

I find their serious ads too pretentious.

9. darri

darri Member

I mean...wtf is this.

10. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Margot will be a nice break from Kristen Stewart, but the campaign image above is far too blurred/filtered for it to make even the slightest impact. I dread to think how unnoticeable this will look on billboards, unless we see another campaign photo when the fragrance is released in September.

11. Lola701

Kirsten is still the face of Gabrielle. I think they’ll push this in September and push Kristen’s harder in December...

It’s so weird, Chanel N5 hasn’t had a spokesperson in a longtime now...

12. tjasmine

tjasmine Active Member

13. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

It’s for a consumer fragrance ad, Benn. They pimp this crap out in every mid-range department-store/drugstore all across the world to bored soccer mums who dream of wearing Chanel, so the imagery needs to be basic. Fitting that they chose Margo since she’s so painfully generic pretty they may as well just shoot a store mannequin. I’ve always hated celebrities fronting fragrance ads, but at least they’re not as awful as the men: That one of Chris Hemsworth pointing at me makes me want to smack him in the throat...

I also find Nick stuck on autoplay these past few years. He seems to be just shooting to earn an income like the rest of us. It’s hardly fair to hold this against him. Can’t really blame Nick for such dire commercial work. What did you want from him for this…???

modela and SophiaVB like this.
  14. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

God, did you see his hair in that shot? My first thought was, did all the budget went into paying Chris Hemsworth to front the campaign, or what?

If you're going to prostitute your craft, at least do it with a bit of dignity. Goude is a prime example of someone who doesn't say no to a fat cheque, but he doesn't skimp on the creativity and quality of his campaigns either. Nick isn't even that busy that he could be running out of ideas.

Lola701 likes this.
  15. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ This is 2019, Benn— not 1989 anymore. I doubt even Jean-Paul could get away with that brand of expensive visionary creativity these days. We’re in the era of basic/bland/budget-conscious, in case you haven’t noticed.

Nick likely had to shoot with very strict brand guidelines from Chanel’s own internal marketing department. And these types are the usual LinkedIn drones that only think of stooping to the lowest common denominators with their “creative” briefs that, not even Nick can avoid. Because, sadly, hustling to the basics is where the profits are.

SophiaVB likes this.
  16. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

I hope there are more images otherwise this is just atrocious.

17. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

This is so bad....her face...and her mouth on top of that translucent fabric...:lol: it looks like a detox ad or some product that promise to change your life and health but it is basically trash.

18. Lola701

But yet Goude does Chanel fragrances campaigns...even if it's limited to Chance. The fact that he manages to deliver big productions means that creativity still has a place.

The reality is that i think the team at Chanel has it very confused on the message of the fragrance.
    I think that Goude gets Chanel, much like Demarchelier did.

Seriously, Nick Knight is such an odd for Chanel in the first place...

Benn98 likes this.
  19. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

Margot is pretty, no doubt, but she doesn't have a strong enough face to pull this off. How on earth this was given the green light as a campaign image when she's barely visible (especially since they're relying on her name for promotion) is beyond me.

vogue28 likes this.
  20. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

1AB084C8-6DB1-414A-93E8-8D142EA73122.jpeg
    Vanity Fair Digital Edition

modela and vogue28 like this.