Virginie Viard - Designer, Creative Director of Chanel

Expected. Not much will change I suppose.

Wise decision for now...
She knows the studio, the Ateliers and the Weirthemers.
This will let them the time to organize a « real » succession and at the same time, the Weirthemer own succession (they are also quite old themselves).

Don’t really know what to expect. She has always worked with Karl but she was also a good fan of Philo and other designers.

I’m waiting for Chanel tribute to Karl.

Uhm, yeah. I'll reserve judgment until I've seen the first collection with her mark. She could actually be good because I'm sure she's able to have a unilateral approach sharing both Karl and her vision, but it can also turn out pear-shaped as it did with Sarah Burton at McQueen.

So sort of the same formula as Frida replacing Tom Ford at Gucci. It's sensible.

Can't wait to see what she does, and if she is allowed to rock the boat a little? I mean Chanel actually sells, so let's see how much they allow her to show her input!

...which makes the appointment even less exciting. The timing makes it very anticlimatic, too. They should have waited a few days.

I assume they didn't want the guesses and rumors to overshadow the news of his passing and the conversation about his legacy. Media would have moved on to "Who will replace Karl at Chanel?" headlines before the end of the day for sure.

I guess it was the right thing to do, appointing a new designer straight after Karl's death would have been plain bad taste.
But I guess the Wertheimers (who are not stupid and have known all along that Lagerfeld eventually had to be replaced) have some ideas when it comes to the possible successor to the throne...

I hope this isn't permanent, but it's the smartest thing to do at the moment.

A very sensible and inevitable choice which Karl no doubt approved of, long before he became unwell.

Yet I cannot help but feel like it's a little... untimely to announce Karl's successor on the day he passed? Nevertheless, Virginie Viard will undoubtedly do Karl justice with the upcoming Chanel collections, which I'm sure will be a very hard task for her personally, without Karl's notable presence.

She's the right choice to continue his legacy and surely knows the best how to do so. I'm curious.

What I'm more curious to see are the campaigns... What photographers they will use and if a new aesthetic will be used since we will not have Karl anymore!

I feel like Inez & Vinoodh will do the campaigns justice.

What I'm more curious to see are the campaigns... What photographers they will use and if a new aesthetic will be used since we will not have Karl anymore!

Meisel probably. Maybe.

Maybe someone close to the Chanel family: Jean Paul Goude, Karim Sadli. If Carine is still involved maybe someone else.
Giving everything they have to handle I doubt that they’ll travel to NYC just for Meisel.

This was so obvious back in January, when they showed couture.

I hope I am wrong here, because I would love to see a radical revamp of Chanel...but I expect her to be a Chanel version of Bill Gaytten.

I hope this isn't permanent, but it's the smartest thing to do at the moment.

There certainly isn't any 'interim' in the title ... but if Nymphaea is right, she's already proven herself, and the transition is almost complete already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"