A Retrospective: Chanel under Karl Lagerfeld (1983- 2019)

chanel by KL circa '80s earrings. gold-plated metal set with maison gripoix poured glass pieces.

crg1.jpg

cpg1.jpg

pix by me

How beautiful! So glad to have entered this thread-what great imagery from the runways and of Chanel items!

Chanel Haute Couture Spring/ Summer 1999
This all looks so cozy, so luxe, so clean, so easy and gimmick-free. This is such a stunning show (it looks much more like a F/W show than a S/S one, though). I'm sure some of the pictures are out of order, so I apologize...I don't know the original order of the looks.

So f-in' chic.
01-6.jpg
02-6.jpg

03-6.jpg
04-6.jpg

05-6.jpg
06-6.jpg

(livejournal user: lozhkaleyka...original source probably FirstView?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks DC!! Can't get enough of the older shows- I am always afraid they might be lost to history! :o Someone at the Costume Institute back in 05 when they did the Chanel Show, said that there are only a handful of the dresses from the 20s and 30s left in existence- which is horrid, if you think about it- particularly since there were no good show or ad photographs in those days... Karl seems to have very little interest in keeping records of his works, either- hopefully Chanel itself keeps them... I have had a pretty hard time finding too many pictures of the show collections before say the mid 90s- which leaves a huge gap in Karl's earlier work for Chanel... :( I've actually started screencapping looks from YouTube videos- usually not great quality but better than nothing...And people like you are nice enough to post some that they find, and the ads can help as well... I'm up to over 80 binders full of show pics, articles and ads for Chanel- I hope to find more as time goes by- so feel free to post anything you guys may have- it will not go to waste!! :woot: :flower:

^S/S99 is absoutely beautiful. I keep going back and scrolling through again...
flowers.gif

^wow. very intersting to see Karl back then! thanks for posting!

OH THE 99 SHOW!!
i have the feeling it looks very.... Armani? :ninja: i guess that's just the late 90s and the Japanese/minimal influences :wink:

i love the pale tulle dress with the detached "stripes" (in lack of a better word) on the side.

^ Yes, I can see an Armani influence, as well as (I shouldn't ever say it..) a little bit of YSL... :blush:

Wow, this thread is great! i feel much more in touch with the Chanel of the 80's and 90's than todays Chanel (even though i think Karl makes the brand better with every season- much respect). I think I would feel very at home in Creative's outfit post of Prêt-à-porter, spring/summer 1995 Shirt jacket of black wool; pants of white linen!

Here we go...stand in awe...! :o

My scans from New York Magazine

My scans from Bazaar (US) a couple of years ago...B)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->