The All-Things Chanel Makeup, Skincare & Fragrance Thread

Chanel Makeup: What's good?

How would you all rate the quality of Chanel?

I've been browsing their counters for a while now and so far oly purchased a Glossimer.

And products you want to rant/rave?

After red and orangee red nails yellow sounds like the color to go during summer!! I'll might give it a try. :smile:

I do like Lilium Eyeshadow Quad a lot, but I would use it just in the upper lid though!

tigerrouge
, thanks for both posts. :flower:

Further to the reviews of Mimosa and the Lilium eyeshadow quad, here's a look at some Glossimers from the new collection (temptalia.com:(

I have to say, the colours look quite bright in the tubes, but even taking into account the sheerer formula, on application of the products, there's very little change in the colour of her lips, so to post the shots of her wearing the shades would almost be like seeing the same image three times over.

Chanel Summer 2011: Glossimers

For summer, there are three new shades of Chanel Glossimers ($28.50 for 0.19 oz.) that are limited edition. All three are varying degrees of sheer, but in general, they are on the sheerer end of the spectrum. Glossimers are designed as a sheerer formula often recommended for layering. Though the range varies from sheerer to more opaque, these don’t seem to deliver quite as much oomph as other Glossimers – perhaps because the base color is nearly invisible or the mix of shimmers does not stand out as much.

I love Chanel’s Glossimers for their highly reflective shimmer and comfortablep-to-wear formula. I typically get three to four hours of wear with them, but they are not sticky, which is rather noteworthy wear for a gloss without a tacky base.
  • Pensee (277) is a coral-orange with pink and gold shimmer. On my lips, it adds mostly glossiness and shimmer without much color.
  • Pink Peony (267) is a rosy pink with multi-colored shimmer, though predominantly pink and silver. Like Pensee, it is mostly just shine and shimmer when worn.
  • Aurore (287) is a pink and melon gold shimmered peach. It is highly reflective and almost a duochrome gloss. Of the three, this one seemed more unique and less dupe-able, though it is also quite sheer.

Attachments

• Chanel Pensee 1.jpg
    Chanel Pensee 1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Chanel Pensee 2.jpg
    Chanel Pensee 2.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Chanel Peony 1.jpg
    Chanel Peony 1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Chanel Peony 2.jpg
    Chanel Peony 2.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Chanel Aurore 1.jpg
    Chanel Aurore 1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Chanel Aurore 2.jpg
    Chanel Aurore 2.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 0
How would you all rate the quality of Chanel?

I've been browsing their counters for a while now and so far oly purchased a Glossimer.

And products you want to rant/rave?

I interned for L'Oréal Luxury Division in marketing and they consider Chanel as a model to follow in terms of quality and image. My former boss had worked for Dior Parfums, and he told me they had the same attitude towards Chanel.'
I've been using Chanel for years, I'm picky on quality and have always been satisfied with them. My favorites are the Inimitable Mascara and the nail polishes; I'm crazy about them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Aurore is beautiful! How much are Chanel glosses in the UK?

You can find the UK price of every Chanel product in the beauty section of boots.com

Now for a look at Morning Rose, which seems to be nice enough, but I'm not sure I'd pay this much for a colour that's not exactly that unique in the nail varnish universe (temptalia.com:(

Chanel Morning Rose Le Vernis ($25.00 for 0.4 fl. oz.) is a warm, rosy pink with gold glitter. It’s a really nice yellow-based pink, and for warmer skin tones, it’ll be a lovely shade for spring and summer (since I know not all of us are feeling like summer is right around the corner!). It reminded me of Chanel Mistral, but warmer and more golden glitter. The formula was good; not too thick or thin, flowed evenly, and applied opaque in two coats. I typically get a week of wear using a base/top coat with Chanel’s Le Vernis.

I see this being a popular shade, just because the color is easy to wear but contains fun gold glittery flecks to give it a little more oomph.

Attachments

• Chanel Rose 4.jpg
    Chanel Rose 4.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Chanel Rose 3.jpg
    Chanel Rose 3.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Chanel Rose 2.jpg
    Chanel Rose 2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1
  • Chanel Rose 1.jpg
    Chanel Rose 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
This is the item that I'm most interested in, and it sounds that if the colour range suits, you'll get good wear from the compact... although I'd definitely need the one that flatters cooler skin tones rather than this warmer-looking variant (same source:(

For summer, there are two variations of Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel ($50.00 for 0.49 oz.) — the first I’m reviewing is Bronze Corail (and I will review Bronze Rose later). It is a striped palette with four shades: a warm, medium-dark tan with subtle gold shimmer; warm beige with shimmery sheen; deeper tanned brown with a satin sheen with red undertones; and a pop of coral-pink with a subtle sheen. Swirled together, the resulting color is a sheer, soft bronze with a champagne sheen.

Chanel describes the product as, “Worn alone or blended together, they highlight or ‘tan’ skin for a subtle, natural glow.” It’s definitely a product that is hard to overdo, because it is sheer and soft–certainly subtle. It will be a nice bronzer for light to medium skin tones, but darker skin tones will find it more a highlighter than a bronzing product. The included brush does enable one to use the shades on an individual level better than your average blush brush (which is more useful to swirl and blend the shades together). You can use all four shades to add more pinkness to the cheeks, or you could use the top three for a more traditionally bronzy look. The softest shade is very much like a highlighter, so it, too, could be used on its own as such.

Though the powder is soft as silk and each shade is seemingly pigmented, I felt like once applied, it looked somewhat powdery on my cheeks. There is a fair amount of powdery dust within the compact after using a brush (whether the one included or something separate). Normally, I’m a big fan of the Soleil Tan de Chanel editions, because they can create more multidimensional looks from the different variations in color–you can go lighter, darker, pop of color all bronze–but the product could have laid down more naturally over the skin.

The good news, though, is it lasted all day long (12+ hours), and you get one brick of a bronzer (0.49 oz.) for your money. You won’t run out of this one anytime soon!

I think Bronze Corail will best suit light skin tones with warmer undertones, though I do think those with cooler undertones could work this as well. It's a subtle bronzer, which means you won't overdo it, but it's a natural look and if you want more pigmentation, you should look elsewhere.

Attachments

• Chanel Soleil 1.jpg
    Chanel Soleil 1.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Chanel Soleil 2.jpg
    Chanel Soleil 2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Chanel Soleil 3.jpg
    Chanel Soleil 3.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Chanel Soleil 4.jpg
    Chanel Soleil 4.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 0
Despite being described as a new product, I have the feeling that I've seen this before (same source:(

Chanel Khaki-Discret Eyeshadow Duo ($42.00 for 0.09 fl. oz.) is a new (and permanent!) combination of a really deep, dark forest green with subtle khaki brown undertones and gold and emerald green micro-shimmer paired with a much softer, lighter pastel green with yellow undertones. I found the darker shade to be beautifully pigmented–very rich and intense with little product required to achieve that result–while the lighter shade was sheerer. Lighter and softer shades will always look light, but they can still suffer from sheerness (which you can identify by how much skin you can see when the eyeshadow is swatched on top). The formula itself is very soft and smooth; easy to apply and effortless to blend out.

I found interesting how this duo compares to the Lilium palette–the green is warmer, rather than bluish, it is distinctly green and pulls yellow, while the lighter, pastel green is even lighter in the duo than in the quad. The darker green shades certainly differ enough that I wouldn’t say they’re really similar to each other, but the lighter shades do compare a lot more closely.

The $42 price tag is seemingly painful, but it is to be expected within the Chanel line–a single eyeshadow retails for $28.50, while the quads are the best bang for your buck at $57 (for four shades, of a total weight of 0.24 oz.). The average eyeshadow is 0.05 oz., so this duo is just under the expected size for two eyeshadows–except that Chanel’s single eyeshadows weigh in at 0.07 oz. Overall, the pricing is: $407/oz. for singles, $467/oz. for duos, and $238/oz. for quads. (MAC single eyeshadows are $290/oz. for a comparison against a mid-end brand.) Keep in mind, though, that while we all want more for our money, we have to think realistically whether we’ll actually use all of it!

I wish the duos were more of a value--I just feel they should be a little less (by the ounce) than singles, but still more than quads. If you were waffling between a duo and quad, I'd opt for the quad, since it is a better value.

Attachments

• Chanel Khaki 1.jpg
    Chanel Khaki 1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Chanel Khaki.jpg
    Chanel Khaki.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 0
^ that green one reminds me of mac's club eyeshadow, but this one is a bit more pigmented.

karlasugar.net
Chanel-Summer-2011-Bronzers.jpg

Whoa that arm is freaky.

Morning Rose doesn't look as bright on the nails as it does in the bottle. I think I might be giving this one a miss too as I have 2 similar ones in the Versace range.

The Lilium Eyeshadow Quad is not something I would normally wear but it's interesting. In January Allure there was some eyes made in this combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the soleil tan de chanel aka. bronze universal only sold at specific chanel counters? Can't find it anywhere!

Is the soleil tan de chanel aka. bronze universal only sold at specific chanel counters? Can't find it anywhere!

It's not made anymore... You can have a look at some counters because it's discontinued from March...

Really? Well, then I'm off to every Chanel counter I can think of :lol:

Really? Well, then I'm off to every Chanel counter I can think of :lol:

I think they gonna renew the texture, or made it fluide, like the Blanc de Chanel...

Only Poudre Soleil Tan de Chanel are available from now on, so there will be new ones I think...

Anyone have any thoughts on the Chanel "Pro Lumiere" - i hear it's being discountinued , and i'm thinking of picking it up- i have oily skin- not super oily , but definatley NOT dry....

how do you guys like it?

Anyone have any thoughts on the Chanel "Pro Lumiere" - i hear it's being discountinued , and i'm thinking of picking it up- i have oily skin- not super oily , but definatley NOT dry....

how do you guys like it?

It will be discountinued, indeed! But fot a little oily skin ( let me say T-zone, dry cheeks) it is a great product! There's only one thing, never use any powder on top.. Some do, but it's better not, because the texture melts on your skin and only then it gave that natural 'professional' look....

Otherwise you can try the Vitalumiere Aqua, it is less shiny but stays comfortable on cheeks... Use over it the Vitalumiere powder to give more coverage when/if you need

I have dry cheeks and forehead, and Vitalumiere Aqua still looked awesome. Just not what I was going for, but it is a very nice foundation!

I have dry cheeks and forehead, and Vitalumiere Aqua still looked awesome. Just not what I was going for, but it is a very nice foundation!

When You have That dry skin, You have to use THE Vitalumiere fluïde... Vitalumiere Aqua is made for à normal to oily skin...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->