Chanel Pre-Fall 2017 Paris

I agree with majority of people that although it's the same old Chanel designs, styling, and cuts this collection is a lot more chic and streamlined than previous collections.

I think he's really going back to what Chanel clients actually want which is nothing too over the top - they don't need to show off their wealth with ostentatious clothing.

Simplicity is key in this collection.

And boy it is a huge improvement from that awful Spring/Summer 17 collection.

Those pictures are a mess. Anyway, they is same old thing...

Im really curious to see how Chanel's sales are doing. The past year has produced some of the safest Chanel collections I've ever seen. Even the sets have been downsized. It seems that they're catering to their core customers rather than reaching out to new people. This is a good collection but it's Chanel 101. Karl rally needs to bring some of Chanel's old magic.

according to her Instagram Lily Rose opened... (does this Even belong into this thread? Sorry...)

What I don't get: This collection will be out in May, right? Yet it looks like a "see now buy now" collection with all the heavy fabric, woolen scarves and even winter coats. How are they going to sell that in May?

Im really curious to see how Chanel's sales are doing. The past year has produced some of the safest Chanel collections I've ever seen. Even the sets have been downsized. It seems that they're catering to their core customers rather than reaching out to new people. This is a good collection but it's Chanel 101. Karl rally needs to bring some of Chanel's old magic.

Bruno Pavlovsky declared that their Paris in Rome collection achieved the company’s highest level of full-price sell-through to date. Their precollections are more & more luxurious and a bit safe (Paris is not so a great inspiration for grandeurs).

What I don't get: This collection will be out in May, right? Yet it looks like a "see now buy now" collection with all the heavy fabric, woolen scarves and even winter coats. How are they going to sell that in May?

It's still a Prefall collection. And at that time (May), they will have 3 collections in stores (Runway SS17, Runway Prefall 17 and the studio collection).

They are selling chiffon dresses and light fabrics outfits at this exact moment: The Paris-Cuba collection is in stores alongside FW16 and the Prefall studio collection.

First Chanel collection in ages that has been remotely chic. It's pretty good - there are some clunkers, but that's to be expected. Love the all black leather look, in particular. And for once, the hair and makeup is actually attractive!

Agreed, what a pleasant surprise! Also, I loved the music and the show itself, finally something that doesn't feel too forced and gimmicky to cover up a mediocre collection.

Speaking of which, here's the video.

This feels so pointless. Like most Chanel collections in the past years, it's just a bunch of nothing added to more nothing. I don't feel passion in his work anymore, everything is very contrived and formulatic.

It's undeniable what a legend Lagerfeld is and everything he did for fashion, but I'm hoping the strong rumors that he's saying goodbye are true (this show really had that feeling with his favorites on the casting and the location, as with the last Couture show). Chanel has become quite boring and stagnant, they desperately need new life and new blood.

I agree. Much as everyone like myself thinks that Chanel under Karl is sellable, beautiful etc etc, it would be like the having the mentality of the rabbit in the rabbit and tortoise race, resting on its laurels and expect things to sell even if Karl churns out ugly stuff which he certainly has before.

For a rich house like Chanel, I certainly expect them to bring surprises to their current clientele and make them go, "wow, why is it in ever thought I can look good in this look before!" and/or bring in new ones. It doesn't have to be ground breaking immediately but at least a break through from this current template.

Saint Laurent under Hedi has done it, it kinda shake things up a little bit didn't it? And also, no such thing as l'eternite.

When I look at Karl's "side" projects.. like his horrid photography, his guest editing for Vogue, the articles he's written, I feel like my brain starts generating a combination of anxiety and fear.. for reaching that awkward stage in life where you have to make room for new life, but since you've hung your existence around your occupation, you can't! because that would mean giving up on your own life. And seeing him in motion only makes it worse :ninja:. So most of the time, I guess I wonder what everyone else around here does and I'm sure he asks to himself too, why are you still here?..

Once a year or once every two years, I think he answers that so loud and clear that you just want to punish yourself for having even wished for him to go away and certainly understand the rest of his work is mere survival, the mechanism that supports the path to productions like this, which are naturally slower now but that still convey what he does best and what he's done in years but so refined, safe, reassuring, joyful.. detailed, with his hand on the pulse closer than any other designer in a major house.. he understands the mood of society better than anyone in similar positions right now, probably due to experience... and even if it's the Ritz and decadence and opulence and all of that, which has fractured things deeply and celebrated inequality in many ways, he sends out a message of optimism and hedonism, nostalgic instead of superficial. He says it's intentionally an atemporal collection but I think it refers to all these decades where societies were pretty battered (or about to be!) and for the same reasons, creativity was nurtured and abundant.. and you didn't really have to apologise for vanity!.. I think that's been missing in fashion and will probably remain like this for a few more years, but his presentation and clothes just put a big smile on my face.. one of his best in years imo, even the seemingly fugliest piece is desirable in that context.

This dress is kind of whatever in pictures (especially the one on vogue.com- which appears to be some kind of lazy back shot...) but in motion is so gorgeous and dreamlike... :wub:
chanel-paris-cosmopolite-metiers-d-art-2016-17-fittings-12.jpg
[chanel.com]

A lot of the material used looks coarse--I wonder is that just Karl's taste or Coco? Or something else
Despite that I love a bunch of the jackets and many designs give an appearance of being very cozy

The flowers did remind me of Dolce and gabbana. I think with Chanel it's all about staying safe but having great craftsmanship. It's a brand geared toward older rich women and doesn't really follow trends heavily. Even their cosmetics seem to follow the same safe route.

Can someone please ID the brunette model in red at 3:42 in the official video?

I love this! Probably my favorite Chanel's collection of this decade so far :wub:
I love the clothes, love the soundtrack, love the model's attitude (even that is silly sometimes), love the mix of fabrics... Everything was perfect!
The only thing that I would complain is that the setting make me wanna see fur. I would like to see fur in this collection, but it's ok, the whisper of glamour and drama is enough for me, since we're living in this wierd era of fashion.

I'm glad to see Cara, I know that this community doesn't like her very much, but she a Chanel girl, the Chanel girl of our times, so is good to see her again in the runaway, in this show in particular.

Bravo! :clap:

Hey everyone. I saw online that this collection also had a Tokyo presentation but i can’t find any videos of it. Does anyone have one or know why?

Hey everyone. I saw online that this collection also had a Tokyo presentation but i can’t find any videos of it. Does anyone have one or know why?

It was probably private.

Thanks for bumping this, cleansing my palette from the 2021 collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->