Chanel Resort 2010 Venice

holy mother of all that is amazing!

*bows down at Karl's feet*

loved pretty much every single look, the accessories, the hair and makeup, and the beautiful, beautiful sunset serving as backdrop.

Chanel Cruise 2010 Venise backstage x 15 HQ

fashionologie.com

chanel Cruise 2010 Venise - backstage x 15 HQ

fashionologie.com

honestly, i'm not entirely sure when karl lagerfeld sleeps with the amount of work he turns out year after year without sacrificing an iota of creativity.

who would've thought that in this recessionary moment when most designers have retreated into safe armor-like suiting or complete eighties re-hash, that there's room for the delicacy, antiquity, and serenity that's represented by venice. once those dark cloaks of fear passed the runway, we saw nothing but a fresh vision of optimism for our contemporary world.

the job of fashion is not only to move merchadise, but to CREATE desire. to ignite that flame of dream in the hearts and minds of women (and men) worldwide. it's spectaculars like these -- and his russia collection -- that score high marks in that vein. and the glory of chanel is that it doesn't just put on a razzle-dazzle show and slack on quality, each garment lives up to this moment.

I think the only designer who can follow him would be a brand NEW name that Chanel preps and creates itself. A new virgin star with a huge promise and marketing campaign around his name. Nobody can replace Karl (for Fendi, they can and maybe they should soon), but when the time comes, they do need someone who is just enthusiastic and eager to be a media personality, a celebrity, an anchor, and an eccentric. A new persona, character and a great great designer with a unique star quality.

I cannot see anyone doing what he does: all those products that Chanel earns money from. Accessories, campaigns, cosmetics, couture and obviously RtW... Chanel cannot be run by just a fashion designer who knows how to cut clothes from this day on. It needs a designer who is capable of business, design, marketing, art, finance, and creativity and vision all around. The brand has moved away being just a fashion house: it is a design and lifestyle universe, bigger than any one collection or designer. Just look at this collection. It is not the quilted bags that sell: it is Karl's effortless charisma, sense of marketing and great influence that fills the bank accounts of many.

Nobody can single-handedly accomplish that much: not Elbaz, Ghesquiere, Slimane or Theyskens. Certainly not McQueen. And Tom Ford... I do not know if he is 'fit' for Chanel and all that heritage.

I do feel, though, it would be great if Fendi thought about replacing Karl with someone else... I do not know how they can do it, and the scandal would be huge, but his Fendi shows are never what they are supposed to be, I am not even sure if he designs them himself anymore. Fendi really needs an image make-over and fast. Their accessories sell, but clothes are so sad, that no one even pays any attention to them.

Then again, who is fit to replace Armani is another question. Tom could work better there, for instance. Or Gianfranco Ferre: those two new designers are good, but are they marketable? Can they offer the star power a company like Ferre requires? A new name is an investment for a company, and sometimes it works like Pilati and Ghesquiere, and sometimes it doesn't, like Alessandra.

that's the most amazing description of Karl ever! :woot:
That's the reason I respect him so - he's just such a big personality going beyond designing...his persona carries the Chanel brand itself..

Can't wait till all is in store... NEED to have the scarves and the bracelets!!

Yep, you're right, last week of October it will be in store...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"