Chanel Resort 2010 Venice

wow, i like what i'm seeing so far. it's great. love what tanya's wearing. though the wig just kind of irritates me. love the setting! :smile:

^ Thanks ILaughead for all the pictures! :wink:

The wigs distract me; I need HQs too, but overall- good stuff!

And Venice- humm- I was expecting something on the canals- like the LA airport show, where all the girls came out of the planes... In my mind I saw gondolas and elegant music on the water (was it the Gay Divorcee that had a dance number like that?) :wink: Anyway- This beach scene was what I expected from the Paris/Monte Carlo Show!! :lol:

Unbelievable makeup! I'm not seeing Peggy or Casati with the hair, but I'm seeing Casati's kohl being an inspiration. (And didn't she have a palazzo in Venice at one point?)

gettyimages.com
Yes, in fact it was the same palazzo that Peggy bought, after Casati went broke. Now it holds the Peggy Guggenheim collection. The Palazzo dei Leoni on the Grand Canal.

And I definitely see more Casati than Guggenheim above the neck, those red frizzed bobs and black eyes. I'm loving it. :woot:

Loving some of the evening looks too. And the setting, my god it's gorgeous.

^Wow, that's quite a coincidence! Thanks for the trivia! :flower:

Also, all the photos are up on WWD, I'll start posting soon!

From WWD.com
After New York, Miami, Los Angeles and Monte Carlo, Karl Lagerfeld took Chanel’s cruise show into the charming, old-world atmosphere of Venice.

“Venice has a genuine dark and mysterious side to it that fascinated me. I really like the Italian spirit and the Venetian lifestyle,” said Lagerfeld, sporting a royal blue jacket, white shirt and skinny black pants. “And let’s not forget that Coco Chanel came back to Venice for 10 years.”

On Thursday night, Lagerfeld took over the beach of the recently renovated Excelsior Hotel on the Lido, a stretch of sand that conjures images of Luchino Visconti’s “Death in Venice” and early-1900s European nobility idly basking in the sun. The invitation — a painterly image of Coco Chanel sitting on the Lido beach — perfectly depicted the poetic setting.

Models coiffed in Thirties bobs strolled down the boardwalk as guests sat on wooden deck chairs. First out was a group of pirate-esque girls clad in wide-brimmed hats and black capes, followed by former supermodel Tatjana Patitz leading a gaggle of fresh-faced beauties in dapper cream sailor dresses with black stripes. Gondola stripes also dominated the knitwear and accessories, especially the open-toe wedge boots worn with most looks.

Venetian references were handled subtly, including black sunglasses reminiscent of Venetian masks, while gold brocade and lamé lace adorning dresses recalled Byzantine details. And classic Chanel bouclé suits with fringed edges came in a Titian-inspired red. The lion, Venice’s emblem and Coco Chanel’s birth sign, appeared as a print on flowy sepia-toned or black-and-white chiffon dresses.

About 300 guests attended the understated show — which was immediately followed by a party — including the actress Rinko Kikuchi, who flew in from the Cannes Film Festival. “So beautiful,” she mused. “In Tokyo, I couldn’t sleep, but here I slept like a baby. The water acts as a lullaby.” It was the first Chanel show for Olivia Magnani, the granddaughter of legendary Italian actress Anna Magnani, who was intrigued by the whole “Chanel spectacle, the setting and the music,” she said. “It was very magical.”

WWD.com

Chanel was getting too "young" these past couple of years anyways, soon we'll be seeing 5 year olds flaunting their fake Chanel Cambon bags. So, thank goodness it's a mature collection, it's less "trashy" this way.

I love the hair and the styling. I wish they'd taking more risk with the venue.

I would have imagined models standing on gondolas while the audience sit outside the canals. That would have been better. Remember the collection with the bus? Very innovative. I guess it would have been dangerous to do that.

(Sorry about the ads below the pictures...didn't know they'd be there.)

WWD.com

^ Thanks again! Baptiste in the little sailor outfit... :shock: :doh:

After seeing WWD pics it seems nice, I don't get the tights, though - especially the red ones :blink:

Ooh, I'm actually beginning to like. Some of the pieces remind me of D&G SS 2009, with the whole nautical striped theme. But I love some of the exotic aspect of the flowy dresses and blazers.

I don't understand why they choose to show the collection in Venice (one of the most magical city in the whole world) and they end up showing the collection on a beach. We don't feel the Venice atmosphere at all. I was expecting a very different setting.
Ditto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"