Chanel Cruise 2021 Paris

I wonder how the RTW sales are. This is tragic. Granted a portion of their clientele probably doesn't care much and would still buy it. However those who are invested in design and all might second guess. Chanel is on autopilot and I wonder how long can that last. They certainly can afford to last longer in that compared to other (lesser) houses.

They really need to shake it up, even if not so soon. It's hard to do radical change with it now, but then if they won't they cannot rely on their existing products forever.

What is her name ? I don't recognize her
cO5Db2qu_o.jpg

What is her name ? I don't recognize her
cO5Db2qu_o.jpg
Cris Hermann.
She is their fit model since 2014 I think, alongside Amanda Sanchez who has been there since 2001.

Some of the tweed suits reminded me of S/S 1996 (specially the pink ones)...and its campaign with Amber Valletta and Shalom Harlow (photographed by Lagerfeld).
The feeling of relaxed sophistication and luxury (which oozes from the 1996 campaign) is nowhere to be found in this poor excuse for a lookbook Virginie has delivered. The current lookbook feels totally improvised and done in a hurry.

1f716777549785668798ac35f5bf93b9.jpg Amber-Valletta-by-Karl-Lagerfeld-for-Chanel-SS-1996.jpg ba16beb73e50255516df66e845d4d98c.jpg Shalom-Harlow-Amber-Valletta-for-Chanel.jpg

Source: my hard-drive

My only question is how is it possible that they have a collection? I was under the impression that Paris/France has been under lockdown since march and factories, offices, fashion houses all have been closed . They could not make this in the past 3 weeks?

My only question is how is it possible that they have a collection? I was under the impression that Paris/France has been under lockdown since march and factories, offices, fashion houses all have been closed . They could not make this in the past 3 weeks?
Yes, it was done in 3 weeks. She started back in early May and even re-used pieces from previous collections.
They have 2 ateliers at Chanel (RTW and Couture) and stock of fabrics left so this collection was very « vite fait ». I wish that instead of 50+ pedestrian looks, she did 20 very great looks...But it’s Virginie.

Mango, Zara, H&M are going to have a field day with this once they are back in operation, and we might get all these mediocre clothes even before we get them from Chanel.

I mean don’t worry... they are going to heaps of (not so tasteful) people with deep pockets from a particular nation in the north eastern part of Asia lapping it all up like a thirsty dog gulping water on a hot summer day as long as their local celebrities or some Kpop star keep wearing Chanel. But I am wondering given the pandemic and the recent outrageous price increase how long can this go on...

Yes, it was done in 3 weeks. She started back in early May and even re-used pieces from previous collections.
They have 2 ateliers at Chanel (RTW and Couture) and stock of fabrics left so this collection was very « vite fait ». I wish that instead of 50+ pedestrian looks, she did 20 very great looks...But it’s Virginie.

In that case I like it even less. Feels a bit out of touch to rush a collection now, with employees probably working day and night to get it done so fast (I’m sure that was the case). Everyone is talking about change, slowing down and more considerate fashion design. I guess not chez Chanel.

In that case I like it even less. Feels a bit out of touch to rush a collection now, with employees probably working day and night to get it done so fast (I’m sure that was the case). Everyone is talking about change, slowing down and more considerate fashion design. I guess not chez Chanel.

It’s Chanel and they like to reference what Mademoiselle Gabrielle Chanel did right?

Why don’t they now reference the time when she said “now is not the time for fashion” and closed the ateliers during the second world war, and not serve us this bland collection? (Since it’s a global pandemic now and some people are calling it the “third war world” because of the US-China clashes)

(Ok, honestly I am feeling really salty about the price increase...)

I mean...Labor laws aren’t the same in France as they are in the US. 35/39hrs a week. Be sure, for this type of collection, with Chanel ressources, 3 weeks were enough lol.

But about the taking things slow...Chanel invented a system that worked for them. It’s LVMH that forced themselves to follow.

At first I though the pandemic will have an impact on the way people consume fashion but it seems like people were just waiting to go back shopping! Apart from the masks and long lines, it seems like almost nothing has changed.

So, I wonder if those beautiful words shared during the pandemic will actually have a reality. But I really think independent and smaller brands shouldn’t follow the calendars and expectations of the Top 5 brands.

Woah, the NYTimes basically ran a total takedown of this collection.

The title alone is Chanel's Frist Digital Show Was a Disappointment on Many Levels.

...the collection of pieces (videos, still images, clothes and collection notes) that made up the show were disappointing on a number of levels... It was more like a return to some of high fashion’s escapist failings of the past rather than a meaningful step toward the future.

It’s an aim that should have made the collection feel connected to a world that has been largely in working-from-home lockdown for the last few months, with its related working-from-house dress... And yet it mostly just seemed irrelevant.

Maybe it was too much to ask Chanel to reimagine the show experience for a world in turmoil. There were technical issues with even the basic pieces it did create

If this is how a fashion house “adapts” to the changing world — if these are the clothes that are the response, if escapism is presented as an answer, if photographs and video simply attempt to mimic what once was, as opposed to reframing what could be, if a statement from a designer can’t even acknowledge the pain and complications of her consumers, even the rich ones — then, pretty as the products may be, it is not doing its job.

Source: NYTimes, Vanessa Friedman

I can´t remember any negative review from a Chanel collection, it is always the normal "a.s.s-licking" for big brands; so it is quite refreshing to read this...but I wonder if Chanel does not advertise on "The NY Times"?...

I mean, I loved Chanel because of Karl. I loved his clothes and his approach to fashion. I loved Fendi for the same reasons. I’m maybe one of their customers that cares about that. So, without Karl, even if Chanel is a fantastic brand that to an extend I love (because it has shaped my taste in fashion), I’m just not really that invested anymore...
I’m much more excited about the sales than whatever Virginie does...As nice as she is.

And yes, it’s a big company run like a small family business. There are rumors about how designers were approached and nobody wants the job but i think it’s really far from the reality (Chanel actually offers the best conditions compared to all it competitors). The entire structure was shook in 2019 and they are trying to have some sort of stability. Everybody is very comfortable there...But the success is not there. So yes, their high prices can make-up on a short term but everybody knows Virginie ain’t there to stay.

Chanel needs a star...Ultimately.

I feel this way too. About Chanel with Karl, but also I LOVE Dior with Galliano, I know he was sometimes controversial- but Dior was great with him!! Karl and Chanel was such a beautiful thing... I always have to tell myself that fashion changes, there are always going to be new creative directors, etc ...but I find it hard to get over those who have been the greatest for me. I have to stop myself from comparisons, and I try to understand the the new visions & the directions they are headed. I really want to see a great future for Chanel... I think there will be.. but it will DEFINITELY take some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->