Chanel S/S 2020 Paris

Now that Virginie has had the chance to show a pre-collection, a couture collection and a ready-to-wear collection, I think it’s fair to say that she is not a good creative director who will take Chanel where it needs to be. She makes nice clothes, and I don’t doubt she was great as Karl’s head of studio, but this isn’t it. There is nothing to aspire to here.

I frankly was not expecting anything different from this. It's a solid but predictable collection, where there is a bit for everyone, from mini dresses to mum jeans.
Even in the unlikely case that Virginie Viard can take Chanel somewhere new, my guess is that it would be unwise to rock the boat while the house (and the customership) is still recovering from Karl's death.

Comparisons with Burton do not really hold strength, McQueen has never been a profitable brand before Sarah took over and it still remains a somewhat niche brand that needs to have a commercial approach.

Chanel is a fashion behemoth and a cash-cow, they need a designer with a real vision to steer it along. I don't think the Wertheimers will put up with "solid but bland" indefinitely...

Uhm, how did Gigi's look made the cut? So random!

I think this is one of those collections where it's blatantly apparent that she's targeting both old and young. The distinction is very clear, and as such makes the overall presentation look very commercial.

It's not atrocious (except all the denim looks and Rianne's closing one), but it's just not a collection worthy of the profitable brand in the world. Virginie needs to get it together.

Again, it's just a bunch clothes. No artistic direction, no design, no vision... just a watered down version of Karl's blueprints. This really won't do.

First of all, Cardi looked great!
Second of all, it was so great to see so many people wearing Karl’s last two collections and looking good in it. I feel like they was more clients than before at that show!

As for the collection itself...
It was boring...Cute and really not for me. I don’t think the prices Chanel charges for their RTW is justify with those kind of clothes. Even if I loved the long pink-ish skirt with ruffles and feathers, it was boring.

Tbh, those clothes looked like they were designed for the people who buys the bags every seasons to unbox them on YouTube and not for the faithful fashion customers who loved Karl’s statements.

Chanel’s clothes always looked and felt special...The only thing about these clothes now are the brand attached to them...

I think that at Chanel they might be a little bit in a bubble now because Karl’s last two collections are selling really well. In July they already had some pieces sold-out for the Egyptian collection. The commercial success of those collections will make it hard for them to see the impact of Virginie right away...

But it’s not going to work.
I think i’m going to spend my money on Vintage Chanel from now, like I did with Balenciaga when Nicolas left....And a lot of women felt that way at the show.

Chanel used to be fun, and now it’s a bit gloomy. Now Chanel looks bourgeois and boring...Not différent from what it was before Karl.

And the woman at the end was « Marie S’infiltre ». She is a famous prankster on YouTube in France.
I laugh when I saw her but it was funny to see how confused everybody from the international press was.

IMO, weirdly, she saved the show. The fashion wasn’t exceptional and we didn’t have fireworks or something to make us smile.

Oh dear, is she really trying to make that awful and bland logomania one of the codes of Chanel?

There are some pieces that are pretty and well-designed but at the same time they also made some boring crap that just can't be appreciated in any way. I somehow understand why it's like that since it was Virginie who was there to make commercial clothes under Karl. She just doesn't see the shift to runway that just needs special pieces, not this boutique fantasy.

I rooted for her and now I know that we got another Maria Grazia. That's just sad.

as expected, a mediocre collection from her...with uncertain artistic direction and bad color tone....
But i do see some statements from a few look, seems more confident than previous two collections. but not strong enough to support a whole theme or collection.

and rooftop? that's more of a couture choice than RTW, she still can't sense the differences between the two lines.

as i said many times before, that woman lacks imagination, sth either u born with or will never have it no matter who trained you or how much time given to you, so what you can expect?

I haven't see her design in real, as resort collection hit boutique in Nov, i need to see the real product to make a judgement whether Chanel is still worth purchasing...

But no dreamer for Chanel or even the whole industry anymore, end of a master era, end of a dreaming era.

It's like she's pulling a Heidi at Celine, how tragic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->