Chanel S/S 2021 : Charlotte Casiraghi by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Discussion in 'Ad Campaigns' started by Benn98, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

WWD

guimon likes this.
  2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Sorry to start the new year with salty comments, but sigh. Chanel officially does not look like a luxury brand anymore. It started with the Lily Rose Depp campaign. The setting is predictable, Charlotte hair and makeup is predictable, and the 'Frenchness' is predictable.
    What even is that 40s matronly pink dress which looks like something from Primark?? Doesn't match the rest of the campaign. And I don't like her expression throughout.

modela, Nomar, OllieJE and 6 others like this.
  3. Serend1pity

Serend1pity Well-Known Member

Awful - just hire a real model!

sixtdaily and modela like this.
  4. THD96

THD96 Well-Known Member

I guessed this is the era of young royal or celebrities offsprings, in this case she both so it's makes sense. That being said she looks stiff and uncomfortable. The photographs made her looks like an instagram model at best. There is nothing expensive about this.

Does she really famous in France/Monaco that guarantee good sale for them? Because I don't think make her brand ambassador comes cheap. Hired Meghan Markle if you want an instant hit :rofl:.:ermm:

5. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

The first dress/bed combo is hideouys but I actually like this. She looks believable in the setting and has done some high fashion work in the past I believe.

6. chanelh

chanelh Well-Known Member

Really?? Is the first pic telling ppl that Virginie's inspiration is actually from a hideous bed?

EricGallais likes this.
  7. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Without Karl, Chanel ads now look like images lifted from a feature where mothers and daughters try to prove they can wear the same clothes as each other, because "style is timeless".

Like a French Elle cover story on infinite repeat.

Razjel, sixtdaily, modela and 4 others like this.
  8. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I’m not really convinced on Charlotte with Chanel. I know she has worn it since she was a baby but I think both her mother and her little sister wears it with much more ease. She was good for Gucci...

I get the intention...Monaco, Helmut Newton, Glamour...etc.
    But I think it’s a very ostentatious kind of imagery for Chanel.

Karl’s Chanel was also about that idea of looking rich but it was done with much more humor and it was more subtle. He had shot campaigns at Monaco, Biarritz, St Tropez, Cannes but they weren’t JetSet.

I don’t even want to comment on the clothes.

And I really miss a consistency when it comes to photographers.

badgalcrush and TaylorBinque like this.
  9. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

Totally amateur, the poolside shot I like because it reminded me of an Eric Rohmer movie but the dress does not look expensive. Vogue Paris outtakes are probably more refined.

10. aracic

aracic Moderator

Yikes. Inez & Vinoodh produced a far more interesting ''campaign'' with the simplest of studio shots they used last season. This indeed looks very cheap and has no Chanel quality at all. I disliked most of Karl's campaigns over the past several years, but it never looked quite as cheap (except for maybe that time he cast Lily Rose and Cara together... criminal) and you could always identify the luxurious style of Karl and his Chanel, even without the logo. If you'd have showed me the poolside picture out of context, I would've said it was Michael Kors Collection.

Disappointed to see they're still not working with Meisel for main campaigns. He's probably the only photographer who could save Virginie's dull designs.

rianne fans likes this.
  11. RedSmokeRise

RedSmokeRise Well-Known Member

Yikes when did Chanel of all things become Michael kors

modela, Frida, badgalcrush and 6 others like this.
  12. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

^Ture...it is Chanel Cors now.

fakeawake, modela, mikel and 5 others like this.
  13. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

I have a slight obsession with all things Monaco and Monaco's Royal Family, and have always fawned over Princess Caroline wearing Chanel - so I am ALL for this new partnership. Charlotte feels like a natural fit for Chanel and very much resembles a young Caroline here (especially in the poolside shot and when wearing the red sweater).

My one critique, however, might have been for I&V to have stuck with just one location for more cohesiveness between each shot. The campaign does feel rather disjointed when viewed as thumbnails. Although I shouldn't be complaining over the sight of such breathtaking scenery, when I have zero plans for travel right now.

Toni Ahlgren likes this.
  14. WAVES

WAVES Well-Known Member

these are behind the scenes shots, right? it’s impossible that it’s the actual campaign.

Charlotte is a beautiful woman but she is definitely not a model and these first teasers show it well.

also, there is no consistency whatsoever! where’s the storytelling??

the pool shot is the best one of the lot.... this said, I will wait for the final result.

Tinna and Benn98 like this.
  15. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

This is so tragic.

16. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

The first two are definitely backstage shots. But the rest looks like proper campaign images.

WAVES likes this.
  17. WAVES

WAVES Well-Known Member

oh Lord :shock::shock::shock:

as unfortunately I’ve been thinking lately: maybe it’ll look better in print.

modela likes this.
  18. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

So now all the top luxury houses strive to become basic. :unsure:

modela, Nomar, RedSmokeRise and 3 others like this.
  19. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

She is a royal and they made her look like a basic socialite.
    It's a pity because there's a genuine relationship between The Grimaldi Family, Karl and Chanel. I think Karl would have used a bit more humor...

This makes me think of Irina's campaign for the Paris-Montecarlo collection. She looked like a Royal.

20. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

^Yes Lola I was thinking the same! That collection is my fav Métiers d'Art collection, so grand and luxurious, too bad Vogue Runway doesn't have it.

Now looking at the images at the second time, it feels worse. It could be Chanel's diffusion line : Coco Cors -_-

velvetandsilk, Benn98 and Lola701 like this.