Charlotte Gainsbourg

Charlotte is so underrated including for her work in Melancholia. IMO, she stole the movie. Kiki was awesome, but Charlotte really took it to a whole another level. Am sad she's been mentioned so little...

I agree. Kirsten was amazing but I thought Charlotte was just as good, and in the very last scenes, i empathized with Charlotte's character so much, how she was weeping, she really stole my heart (though I have loved her for so long, back when she did Zefferlli's "Jane Eyre" for e.g.).

^me too. Zeffirelli's Jane Eyre is one of my favorite movies of all time :heart:

her recent candids are not so hot for me...definitely prefer her late 90s, early 2000 style.....ELLE France went a bit nutso with the text but Charlotte looks beautiful. Great cover image.

in December Interview:

avantgarde via maramania.tumblr.com

Though my fellow book nerds would enjoy this:
For this installment, the lovely and multi-talented singer and actress Charlotte Gainsbourg gives us her top picks.

To The End of The Land by David Grossman: At the moment, I’m reading a book that’s quite wonderful. In French, it’s called Une femme fuyant l’annonce. It’s about a woman escaping… A woman who’s in Israel and she leaves her house before anyone can tell her that her son in the army is dead.

Laughing Gas by P.G. Wodehouse: My mother would read to my grandfather all the P.G. Wodehouse books. They’re really English, and it’s a very English humor that’s quite old and I really love it. There’s one in particular, Laughing Gas. They make me laugh, but at the same time, it reminds me of the way my mother would laugh aloud with her father. He was always sick, so he was always lying down or resting. This was in the ’80s. He died in ’91, so up until then, I could hear her read those.

Story of The Eye by Georges Bataille: For erotic reading—the first I’d ever read is Georges Bataille’s Histoire de l’oeil (Story of The Eye). For young girls, it was just amazing to read.

Darkness Moves by Henri Michaux: He’s wonderful. I think he wrote under drugs at the time, I think it was in the ’60s. He had many experiences and it’s a very wild way of writing. It’s his imaginary. It’s like hallucinations. It can be funny, but at the same time very poetic. There’s such a freedom in the writing. I read him when I was very very young, so it was such a discovery. That I’ll go back to and read again. It’s just a beautiful and free way of going deep into imagination. That’s the thing. I’ve never re-read books that I’ve been fond about. I know lots of people who re-read books, but I always feel like I’m behind, and I need to read things like Proust—I’m keeping it for my old age.

Journey to the End of the Night by Céline: This is another also that I was starting and couldn’t get into for years and years, and it was my father’s best author. I was really willing to read it, and it was Céline. I read it for the first time maybe five years ago, and it’s maybe the most powerful book I’ve ever read. It’s called Voyage au bout de la nuit. I started that maybe 20 years ago but would never go past page 50. Suddenly, five years ago, I was really into it and Mort à crédit, which is another really well-known one of his. My father recommended a few books, not a lot. One that I felt was so boring. His memoirs. It was about his wars, and I couldn’t read that. Other books were wonderful. It’s always difficult to read Céline because you know about his life, and you know about what a horrid man he was, but he’s such a genius, you can’t… You make a compromise. It’s a bit strange.

thefader.com

Love both the Wodehouse and Celine recommends! I would say "Death on the Installment Plan" for the latter author though. Clearly her brains match her beauty and talent!

Yup, that is quite a sophisticated reading list, with Louis-Ferdinand Celine and Bataille by her bedside table, wow, I am very impressed.

I went to see 'Melancholia' today and really enjoyed her performance and fashion choices of her character. I wonder how much of the clothing was actually actors personal garments, because the film wardrobe of Charlotte and Kirsten really looked like...theirs, I mean one in their private lives.

And the dark manicure on Charlotte in this film is really sublime!

I have Journey to the End of the Night. I (didn't quite :P) read it in college for a class I was taking on world lit. It's been on my shelf since maybe my junior year of college. Perhaps when I finish the book I'm currently reading, I'll pick it up. (Maybe.)

I've always wanted to read that. I'm not reading anything at the moment, so maybe I'll give it a try. :D

Gainsbourg eyes von Trier's 'Nymphomaniac'
Charlotte Gainsbourg is in talks to star in Lars von Trier's "The Nymphomaniac," an explicit exploration of a woman's erotic life. Les Films Du Losange, which has distributed all von Trier's films since "Breaking the Waves" in 1996, will release "Nymphomaniac" in France.

Repped by TrustNordisk and produced by Zentropa, pic has also been pre-bought by Artificial Eye (U.K.), Wild Bunch (Benelux), Gutek Film (Poland), Central Partnership (Russia) and Aero Films (Czech Republic).

Pic is at script stage and lensing is slated for next summer or fall.

Penned by von Trier, "Nymphomaniac" will be divided into eight chapters and released in two versions -- a softcore cut for mainstream distribution and a hardcore one.

Gainsbourg starred in von Trier's last two films, "Melancholia" and "Antichrist," which earned her the best actress honor at Cannes. "Melancholia" won best film at this month's European Film Awards in Berlin.

Interesting! I've done the same thing with Journey to the End of the Night...start it and put it down...start it and put it down. Maybe I'll be ready to receive it some day, as well. That's one of the most fascinating things about art, its changes as you change.

Have to be honest, as much as I love Lars and Charlotte's previous collaborations, I would rather see him explore other actresses.

"Charlotte Gainsbourg shot by Silja Magg for self-titled No. 14."
(don't think this is posted yet)

from richerfit's tumblr and originally by photographer Silja Magg

Last edited by a moderator:
ummm didnt she basically play a nympho in Antichrist? I dont think I can see her naked body anymore

Corbis-0000351888-011.jpg
Corbis-KR002992.jpg
Corbis-42-17290656.jpg
Corbis-0000351888-010.jpg
Corbis-0000323120-024.jpg
Corbis-0000323120-019.jpg
Corbis-0000323120-028.jpg
Corbis-0000322773-006.jpg
Corbis-0000360193-005.jpg

corbis

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics