Charlotte Ronson Line I [Heart] Ronson for JC Penney

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
excerpt and pic from wwd

The Plano, Tex.-based retailer has signed a long-term deal with the New York-based Ronson to design a full contemporary sportswear collection called I [Heart] Ronson, hitting 600 of Penney’s 1,093 stores for spring selling. The line will also be available on jcp.com and in Penney’s catalogues.

“Charlotte Ronson is one of today’s most innovative and adored new designers,” said Ken Hicks, president and chief merchandising officer of J.C. Penney Co. Inc. “She has an exceptional vision of what our trendy customer wants.”

Liz Sweney, executive vice president, women’s apparel, at Penney’s, continued: “We approached Charlotte to do this because she has this very authentic aesthetic which we believe will resonate with our customer.”

The deal will mark the first time the retailer is creating an in-store shop concept for an exclusive brand, sitting on the floor close to the trend lifestyle area of the store, near the exclusive Nicole by Nicole Miller and Bisou Bisou labels.

“We have created a unique environment for this brand,” Sweney said. “It embodies the feminine and vintage feeling of the clothes. As Charlotte said in our meetings, she wanted the area to be a look into her own closet. She designed the whole area — the wallpaper, the fixtures – shoppers will literally be getting a look into Charlotte’s closet.”

The collection will be placed near the front of the store, so customers can glimpse the line right away, Sweney said. On the floors in February, the first delivery offers a range of casual and dressy styles from cotton T-shirts and tanks, cotton sweaters and cardigans, a cotton canvas army jacket, leggings, denim jeans and printed polyester and cotton voile dresses. Ronson created a color palette inspired by her higher-end line, including gray, navy, olive green and pink.

Targeted towards the 21 to 35-year-old woman, I [Heart] Ronson will be priced at the store’s better tier, ranging from $15 for layering T-shirts and tanks to $26 to $44 for blouses, sweaters and jeans to $40 to $65 for dresses and jackets. In contrast, Ronson’s contemporary line for department stores wholesales from $70 to $130.

Penney’s executives declined to give first-year sales expectations for the new brand.

While the details are still being worked out, Sweney said Penney’s is planning to “heavily market” the new line through national magazine advertising, but also through some nontraditional types of marketing.

“We are going to make a lot of noise with this brand,” she said. “We are not testing this, we are fully invested in this partnership.”

Ronson, 31 — a daughter of British socialite Ann Dexter Jones, twin sister of Los Angeles-based musician and DJ Samantha and sister of New York DJ Mark — has become a fixture in New York City life. She’s best friends with designer Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss, designing a handbag line with her friend Nicole Richie and recently collaborated on the design of a handbag with Samantha’s girlfriend, Lindsay Lohan, to be sold within Ronson’s Japanese collection.

In addition, Ronson’s signature higher-end contemporary line is sold in 150 better department and specialty stores worldwide, in her freestanding boutique in downtown Manhattan, her store in Tokyo and in 14 shop-in-shops throughout Japan. Her Charlotte Ronson brand does $22 million in annual wholesale volume.

“Growing up in Manhattan, I really never went to a J.C. Penney before I started meetings with them,” Ronson said. “But I was pretty impressed when I did a store visit. I even bought a really cute striped American Living T-shirt,” she said, referring to the exclusive Penney’s line from Polo Ralph Lauren Corp.’s Global Brand Concepts.

“I really don’t see this customer as a different girl than the one who already wears my line, but for me to be able to offer great quality clothes at these amazing prices — what could be better in a poor economy?” Ronson said.

Penney’s will handle all sourcing and production of the product, which Ronson said will free her up to handle design. She is also hoping to eventually introduce an I [Heart] Ronson line of shoes and other accessories, something Sweney said the retailer would be open to. “We identify this deal as a great vehicle for our brand,” said Aaron Nir, president of Charlotte Ronson. “We are a small company, but in this contemporary market, we understand the importance of having to respond to the trends in a fast, serious manner, which J.C. Penney understands well.”

Attachments

• ronson1.jpg
    ronson1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 310
Smart move on her part. It'll be interesting to see what she comes up with and the overall quality of the clothes.

Looks like JC Penney has followed the trend as well ... at least everyone can afford Charlotte Ronson now. Hmm, I wonder if Dior would do the same ... :blush:

Here are some looks from the line that i found so far

nylon.com

Attachments

• 2194_i1_ronson1.jpg
    2194_i1_ronson1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2194_i2_ronson2.jpg
    2194_i2_ronson2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2194_i3_ronson3.jpg
    2194_i3_ronson3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2194_i4_ronson4.jpg
    2194_i4_ronson4.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2194_i5_ronson5.jpg
    2194_i5_ronson5.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 5
some more...

nylon.com

Attachments

• 2194_i8_ronson8.jpg
    2194_i8_ronson8.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2194_i7_ronson7.jpg
    2194_i7_ronson7.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2194_i6_ronson6.jpg
    2194_i6_ronson6.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 4

Attachments

• charlotte-ronson-jcpenny2.jpg
    charlotte-ronson-jcpenny2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 6
  • charlotte-ronson-jcpenny3.jpg
    charlotte-ronson-jcpenny3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 4
  • charlotte-ronson-jcpenny4.jpg
    charlotte-ronson-jcpenny4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3
  • picture-41.jpg
    picture-41.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 5
Why Charlotte Ronson of all the designers out there? Most consumers have no idea who she is like a Vera Wang. To be honest, I've never been particularly impressed with anything in her regular line.

I think JC Penney squandered an opportunity.

hmmmm. I do like the striped tunic. Very wearable for me. My mom is always trying to buy things for me at JC Penney...usually I say "please don't". But maybe this is her chance to buy something I would like.:lol:

yeah even though I didn't register at JC Penny a few guests got me some items from there I don't want. so I guess I can return them and get a few things from this maybe:smile:

Some of the styling is off but some cute pieces. Urban outfitters didn't object to this? I guess because this is even cheaper than her play collection there...

there is a preview of this in the new issue of lucky (feb) with amanda seyfried on the cover. i was not impressed at all.

did they mention in the magazine a date when this line would be coming out?

the items are now available to buy on jc penneys website and in stores.

i think it looks dreadful frankly.

it looks like no thought whatsoever went into designing the items.

Hmmm....I just looked at jcp.com...and I think some of its cute...but not sure how it's going to fly with JCPenney's target market.

^It should go over fine since honestly it looks like things you can already get a JC Penney. The "edgy" styling isn't fooling me.

the items are now available to buy on jc penneys website and in stores.

i think it looks dreadful frankly.

it looks like no thought whatsoever went into designing the items.
I think when she designs something good it's quite nice but most of the time the items she creates are basic or just out right :unsure: esp. for the prices...:innocent:

wsj.com

Attachments

• ronson1.jpg
    ronson1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 9
  • ronson2.jpg
    ronson2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members