Self Portrait, and article from US Vogue, February 2012 issue:

models.com

i-D Pre-Spring 2012
"If you want the rainbow, you have to enjoy the rain"
photographer: Chen Man
fashion editor: Lucia Liu
hair: Gao Jian, David Tian
make-up: Terry Barber
models/talent: Pan Yan, Li Zheng, Quncuo, Meng Lu, Liu Dan, Langsuowangmu, Xin Yuan, Zhang Li Na, Wan Bao Bao, Renqingcuomu, Jin Chen, Yangci

covers : i-donline.com, and the text scan by TFS member leslie

Harper's Bazaar China May 2012
Photographer: Chen Man
Fashion Editor: Wei Tian
Make-up: Fulvia Farolfi
Hair: Esther Langham.

Star: Victoria Beckham

weibo.com/bazaarchina via zigazig-ha.com

Vogue China October 2012
Photographer: Chen Man
Fashion Editor:
Yoyo Yao
Star: Li Bing Bing

cover :twitter.com/Chenmaner, other images: zinio.com thanks to TFS member Mat Cyruss

Madame Figaro

Dragon Ladies – French publication Madame Figaro finds models Ling Ling Kong and Gao Ying in a series of luxe images from the lens of photographer Chen Man. Styled in elaborately luxe looks for fall, the girls straddle tradition with modern femininity and elegantly bare beauty by Tian Hongyu.

fashiongonerogue

i-D Fall 2012
Being an icon IS great, leaving a legacy is better

Photographer
: Chen Man
Fashion Editor:
Tim Lim
Star:
Fan Bingbing
Hair:
Gao Jian
Make-up:
Bu Kewen

fashiongonerogue.com

Feature from L'Uomo Vogue, October 2012 :

Chen-Man_784x0_zps03f78d2f.jpg

Chen Man is the most coveted Chinese photographer of her generation. She cultivated her passion since she was very young and it’s enough to look at her in the eyes, slightly severe and serious, to understand that photography is her true love. She started to print photos as a girl, thanks to her mother who “was not able to make her dreams come true so she put all her energy and expectations on me”. And so Man attended many art schools, from the Central Academy of Fine Arts to the college where she studied theater, up to the CAPA, the most important school for set design.

In 2003 she commits full time to photography. “I consider myself an artist and a photographer, and even when I choose different techniques to modify my photos I use these mediums as tools for my job. We don’t have big names in fashion in China and so, not having at my disposal creative and original clothing, I often prefer to photograph faces and people, trying to make all the strength that I can find in them emerge. I love fashion and I like to photograph it. I am the first fashion photographer to portray China in a contemporary way through clothing. I’ve shot in touristic and historic locations like the Great Wall of China or the Forbidden City, places far from fashion. The fashion world was shocked, while artists adored me. Whenever I would show them my book they would consider it too avant-garde”.

Man grew up in the older part of Beijing, where the streets are narrow and the houses have the classic inner courtyards, the areas called “hutong”. “Because I grew up in traditional houses, where fashion had no importance, the internet was a great influence and it inspired me greatly.I mix everything, from Buddhism to Maoism, from fashion to everyday life, to new mass media. I put everything I have seen and lived together. I observe how China has opened itself to fashion today and how everyone wants to be trendy and make trendy purchases and I think it’s a real accomplishment. Today there’s a sort of race to buy foreign brands because they also represent a symbol of wealth. An obsession. But we will soon have our own fashion”.

At 32, Chen Man has been the one to create a new and more modern path for Chinese photography by using Photoshop and 3D without forgetting, though, about the past and tradition of her country. She works for the main Chinese magazines such as Vogue and has already had her work featured in several exhibitions. In 2008 she took part in the exposition China Design Now at the Victoria and Albert Museum of London and one of her photos was chosen as the poster for the whole event. She has published books and continues restlessly to experiment successfully.

Photo by Francesco Carrozzini
vogue.it

She is on the cover of For Him Magazine 10th Anniversary

tieba

Prsr Eyewear Contract 2014: Fan Bingbing by Chen Man

Source:Prsrcn.com

Esquire China September 2011:Fan Bingbing by Chen Man

Source:esquire.com.cn

Esquire China June 2010:Fan Bingbing by Chen Man

Source:esquire.com.cn

Last edited by a moderator:
Esquire China August 2009:Fan Bingbing by Chen Man